Last movie you saw?

Penzoline

No good sci-fi movies in Hollywood? I think the recent years have been wonderful in terms of sci-fi movies. I mean;

Interstellar

Edge of Tomorrow

Prometheus

District 9

Elysium

Chappie

Star Trek

Star Wars

Guardians of The Galaxy

Looper

Predestination

The Martian (dissapointment)

the martian was friggin awesome bro ! no chance.

just out of curiousity, does anyone else here share my opnion on avatar or did i just watch it high for the first watch and fell in love with undertones i hallucinate?

a little sad, but honest question.

The whole romanticising primitive cultures thing annoys me and I think that James Cameron writes terrible dialogue and one-dimensional characters, so I expected to hate it. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, though - the visuals and good direction made up for its shortcomings IMO.

• Like 2

No good sci-fi movies in Hollywood? I think the recent years have been wonderful in terms of sci-fi movies. I mean;

Interstellar

Edge of Tomorrow

Prometheus

District 9

Elysium

Chappie

Star Trek

Star Wars

Guardians of The Galaxy

Looper

Predestination

The Martian (dissapointment)

Okay, let's break-down this list. Obviously it will be highly subjective, but with some titles listed here I can't agree to be picked for the great representation of sci-fi movie genre.

Interstellar - I've seen it twice and honestly I expected a little bit more, especially after the Inception which would fit more into this list, since it's probably the best sci-fi action movie made in last decade, but hey a matter of taste I guess.

Groundhog Day with Tom Cruise - A big suprise, even it had lousy marketing and terrible box-office results, it was refreshing, but the best sci-fi in recent years? I'm not sure.

Prometheus - I like Alien-universe and to be honest I liked Prometheus as well, even it had major plot-holes, the dark atmosphere and the return to the franchise is something exciting, but honestly it did not fulfill the expectations, at least critics say so, and overall audience wasn't impressed too.

District 9 - for sure one of the best, I can't say anything against this one.

Elysium - dissapointment.

Chappie - Ninja and Yolandi were great, but movie itself can't be considered as one of the best sci-fi films in recent years.

Star Trek & Star Wars - Both are based on already established universe(s), we're aiming for originallity here.

Guardians of The Galaxy - The best Marvel movie since Iron Man, heck, it was better than The Avangers. But truth to be told, there was too much action (and good comedy) in this one to be considered hard-core sci-fi. Even the story is in space. Based on this criteria, should we consider BatmanVSuperman sci-fi too? I mean, Superman shoots laser beams from his eyes and he's from Krypton. Nowdays 90% of Marvel/DC movies got the shared universe and at some point each of these action block-buster movies will be related to 'out of this world element', but in my book, I can't see thoose films as a sci-fi movies only. But it was great!

Looper - Glad you mentioned this one, really well-written and directed film. Deserves to be in this list without any doubt.

Predestination - I liked it too, unlike many of films here, this one wasn't a big blockbuster, but more like smaller/indie film, but I enjoyed it a lot.

The Martian (dissapointment) - Having a Martian in the list and not having a Gravity is a sin. Sorry.

Anyway, I still think that there isnt a lot of great sci-fi movies in recent years and maybe we just don't have the same criteria :)

I'll throw another suggestion just in case someone hasn't seen it yet:

Snowpiercer

Okay, let's break-down this list. Obviously it will be highly subjective, but with some titles listed here I can't agree to be picked for the great representation of sci-fi movie genre.

Interstellar - I've seen it twice and honestly I expected a little bit more, especially after the Inception which would fit more into this list, since it's probably the best sci-fi action movie made in last decade, but hey a matter of taste I guess.

Groundhog Day with Tom Cruise - A big suprise, even it had lousy marketing and terrible box-office results, it was refreshing, but the best sci-fi in recent years? I'm not sure.

Prometheus - I like Alien-universe and to be honest I liked Prometheus as well, even it had major plot-holes, the dark atmosphere and the return to the franchise is something exciting, but honestly it did not fulfill the expectations, at least critics say so, and overall audience wasn't impressed too.

District 9 - for sure one of the best, I can't say anything against this one.

Elysium - dissapointment.

Chappie - Ninja and Yolandi were great, but movie itself can't be considered as one of the best sci-fi films in recent years.

Star Trek & Star Wars - Both are based on already established universe(s), we're aiming for originallity here.

Guardians of The Galaxy - The best Marvel movie since Iron Man, heck, it was better than The Avangers. But truth to be told, there was too much action (and good comedy) in this one to be considered hard-core sci-fi. Even the story is in space. Based on this criteria, should we consider BatmanVSuperman sci-fi too? I mean, Superman shoots laser beams from his eyes and he's from Krypton. Nowdays 90% of Marvel/DC movies got the shared universe and at some point each of these action block-buster movies will be related to 'out of this world element', but in my book, I can't see thoose films as a sci-fi movies only. But it was great!

Looper - Glad you mentioned this one, really well-written and directed film. Deserves to be in this list without any doubt.

Predestination - I liked it too, unlike many of films here, this one wasn't a big blockbuster, but more like smaller/indie film, but I enjoyed it a lot.

The Martian (dissapointment) - Having a Martian in the list and not having a Gravity is a sin. Sorry.

Anyway, I still think that there isnt a lot of great sci-fi movies in recent years and maybe we just don't have the same criteria :)

I'll throw another suggestion just in case someone hasn't seen it yet:

Snowpiercer

Sorry, I didn't understand it couldn't be a franchise and only "hardcore" sci-fi movies.

Forgot about Gravity. Ten times better than The Martian. Add Sunshine to the list too. And maybe even Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascending. And let's not forget about the excellent Moon. What about Oblivion? Pacific Rim? I'm very happy with the pace Hollywood cranking out good and decent sci-fi movies.

Well, I don't know what the heck your criteria is for good sci-fi movies cause I certainly think that is a solid list.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is a good movie to represent the sci-fi genre?

And frankly, how many sci-fi movies do you really expect Hollywood to churn out each year?

I think District 9 and Edge of Tomorrow are the best movies in that list.

Hey don't get me wrong here, some of the mentioned movies are really great and I agree they should be praised, but some of them just doesn't stand out, at least not to me. For example, movies such as District 9, Dark City, Source Code, Looper, Moon, Sunshine, Gravity are indeed wonderful films with great direction, interesting plot and story, well written and they got that little sparkle called originality. I don't have any special criteria, it's just matter of taste, but I do prefer when story/idea is the most important/crucial part of the film, when you don't have a need to depend full time on CGI. Movies with interesting character(s), for example Moon or Ex Machina blended into original story that is well directed and got good pace are something that I really like. I love movies with good CGI (for example Jupiter Ascending got wonderful visuals), but that movie was horrible, it's on pair with After Earth in terms of dialogues, plot holes, bad acting, but both got amazing VFX, and if the CGI is the only thing that stands out, than in my case it's a bad movie.

To answer your question(s):

Out of curiosity, what do you think is a good movie to represent the sci-fi genre?
And frankly, how many sci-fi movies do you really expect Hollywood to churn out each year?

Besides mentioned films by you and thanosp81, the most recent one that I saw was Ex Machina and I experienced that movie as something really original and in terms of quality well done. It doesn't have to be a big summer-block buster or to be a part of some franchise, it's better when you have some less known crew putting out something fresh, original and unique. How many of thoose movies? The problem here isn't a number, it's more ratio-issue, if we got situation where you need to dig deep into generic CGI crapfest to find good movie, than for me Hollywood isn't doing enough. I really like sci-fi genre and I might sound a little bit picky, but same thing is with the music nowdays, if we're becoming tolerant towards generic and lazy work of art, than the producers, studios will give us more of that, each year. And truth to be told, it's a rare thing to see studios putting big pile of money into original scripts, it's always easier to go with the established franchise, or some reboot or safe bet such as comic book films. Sometimes it pays off to the studio and audience (Mad Max: Fury Road, Planet Of The Apes reboot, The Dark Knight, Dredd), sometimes it's a stinker (Terminator: Genisys, Total Recall reboot, RoboCop reboot, Green Lantern, etc.).

Hollywood makes a lot of sci-fi films, but very few that I actually like.

Frogger meets Groundhog Day with Tom Cruise worked because it was consistently fun, didn't take itself too seriously, and wasn't as predictable as the usual Hollywood action flick. I liked it a lot more than Oblivion, which just felt like Zardoz without the ideas.

Sunshine had great visuals all right, but everything about it felt like it had been done before in a better film.

Guardians of the Galaxy was another miss for me. It all felt too 'safe' and family-friendly. But I recognize that I'm not its target audience, if I followed the comic books I'd probably love it.

I disagree completely about Jupiter Ascending. It was every bit the epic space opera that I had wanted it to be. And I'm still thinking about the ideas it brought up, which isn't something I can say about most recent sci-fi.

If you have that specific criteria of how what a good sci-fi movie is your should problably not blame Hollywood. Not many of the movies we have mentioned was blockbusters anyway. But I understand what it is you want and I would like it too. But I have no expectations. Once in a while those movies comes along anyway.

You're probably right about that. It's just rare that a film will go out of its way to surprise me, blockbuster or otherwise.

I also saw Europa Report recently, which was very much a non-Hollywood sci-fi, and felt like SF for actual science nerds. Pretty interesting film.

I want to see Upstream Color next. And Coherence. Two movies that went completely under my radar when they came out.

• 2 weeks later...

just saw superman vs batman, these movies are getting worse and worse, at least superman is now dead!

ridley scott just announced 3 new alien movies as backdoor to prometheus, they starting filming here in oz soon

personally i can't wait for new matrix movies

Hardly, they have to make Justice League, but Batfleck according to some was really great Batman.

Have to watch, to comment. But I prefer Christian Bale as an actor. May be because A.Psycho & Prestige are in my fav movie list.

The Witch

Fucking incredible! Except I had a really hard time understanding the accents. It takes place in early America, so I suppose they were supposed to be more or less English accents, but I had a much harder time understanding them than English movies I watch.

Still, great movie!