Trance-music & your friends...

Anoebis

I was wondering, is your daily life linked with goa/psy trance in any way? You have friends that talk about new releases, parties,... you know many goa heads in real life and do other stuff with them too or not,...?

In my case, I'm linked really much with the goa-scene... I think around 75% of my friends are or were linked with the goa-scene. Some of them are among my best friends, and the music & parties means for them, what it means for me. Probably there is the big "connection".
Luckely I have some non goa-friends too of course :) but around 25% only I think... :)

I have 0 Goatrance music friends. They don't want to hear "my kind of music" when I happen to put it on at a party or something where ever... I definitely feel a bit lonely in that regard. Kind of sucks.

Story of my life!

• Like 1

I have 0 Goatrance music friends. They don't want to hear "my kind of music" when I happen to put it on at a party or something... I definitely feel a bit lonely in that regard. Kind of sucks.

+1

Well, most of the people I know (I don't really have many people I could call "friends" so to say) are from the psy/goa scene around here. So I'm pretty well linked, but sadly most of the bigger organizers rarely want any goa for their parties. I usually play chillout at bigger parties, and talk about goa with whoever wants to listen :D

Yeah a couple (like Paul Eye on this forum) but it's a minority.

High five o/

I have a few friends who like trance but aren't as heavily invested in it like I am. Everyday Goa/Psy is involved in some way whether it is me listening to it in car rides, sharing it with those few friends, or making some for myself. But I would love to meet someone who is into the scene like I am.

Same like Jos. Almost all my friends are in the psyscene. My girlfriend as well luckily. Couldn't live with a girlfriend who is not into psy. I just like the parties and festivals too much...

Hehe, me too... A girlfriend that doesn't like goa? She would go nuts being together with me :D

But ok, Robbert is one of the 75% in my case :) long time goa heads meeting once in a while :)

Unfortunately I can discuss about Goa trance only through Facebook/Forums etc...in real life not possible, even my wife don't like it but she must listen :D actually only my 2 years old daughter maybe like it because she sometimes dance when I play at home :)) my real life friends/family and work colleague ask me about my "side life" and all this but it is hard to explain this to them because they dont understand, many time I tried but it is waste of time so I avoid this theme with most of real life friends, family etc...

Hehe, me too... A girlfriend that doesn't like goa? She would go nuts being together with me :D

But ok, Robbert is one of the 75% in my case :) long time goa heads meeting once in a while :)

Not often enough. We should play Kolonisten van Catan again :P And I should go to more parties... Next job I will not work on sundays anymore :P

I have 0 Goatrance music friends. They don't want to hear "my kind of music" when I happen to put it on at a party or something... I definitely feel a bit lonely in that regard. Kind of sucks.

Thanks for saving me from typing.

I have some in Australia who took me to my first party and got me into this stuff when I used to only like Shpongle and downtempo stuff before that..

Now though a lot of them are a bit "over" psytrance in general and won't go to parties so much unless I tell them they can't miss someone.

And of course they don't like goa stuff or even know it, like most in aus..

Seems I went fully into it and still am while they kind of outgrew it a bit or something. They think I'm a bit mad for it and listen to nothing else, but that's not true. Well, mostly :P

Still they come to the big festivals and put their own on as well (variety of styles though dnb etc) so it's good I still have a "crew" back home for those parties.

Not at all. Even back in the 90's when I ran gigs it was with ppl I saw only for preparation & then at the gigs as most lived 2-3 hours away in the countryside or interstate.

Most my local friends were in to raves with uplifting trance, schranz & house. I like these as well & DJ'd lots of Detroit style techno on vinyl.

Now I'm older & don't do parties or go, to hard with kids and also it sets my anxiety off. I listen sometimes at home but mostly just ambient & IDM now. Most my friends now are in to pop or post-rock stuff. Some are big in to hip-hop which I love the beats/music but hate the vocals and lyrics.

Hence why I'm enjoying this forum quite a lot.

We used to be a group of people who used to party together 10 years back and i guess everybody moved on except me. They still tell me .. you listen to psytrance? lol

most... actually pretty much all of my friends like psytrance (though some prefer other kinds of music). still i'm the only one who's really interested in new releases and that kind of stuff - therefore at festivals i'm also the guy who studies the timetables and who gets to decide when to go dancing and when to chill at the tent ;)

I haven't stumbled upon many people who've even heard of psytrance, let alone goa. My roommates don't mind it from time to time. My younger bro grooves out to kox box and m run ^^

I have one friend who's into goa/psy and he started getting into it independently. The rest doesn't know/like or (in some rare cases) has moved on.

Strangely my dad likes it, he was always telling me that oldschool goa/regular trance suits him well while driving (mostly producers like BPC or Union Jack) :).

Well i got 1 friend who really likes goa/psytrance and 1 who doesn't mind it and will like some tracks because he's into electronic in general.

so that's 2 and perhaps 3 if i count my brother

that's all. My wife doesn't mind it, but for her every track sound the same ...she sometimes likes when i put downtempo like Total eclipse CD2.

I dont have much "friends" but luckily I got couple ones who listen or interested in Trance not only GOa/Psy but Euro/Euphoric Trance as well,

Along with the closest one, have been attending to the parties since 2002 : )

and the rest donesnt even know what Trance is, sadly ..

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

My best friends has nothing to do with music but all to do with growing up together. I don't mix with people into goa or psy on a daily basis and I think it's a good thing seen from the point I keep an open mind whereas I have experienced how it is only to be among equal thinking people (I was in the start of the 90's in the danish scene) and that can make you narrow-minded musically and socially.