It's always curious to see how the mechanism of love/don't love works. And i'm always wondering what influences it :)

A good example for me is Artifact303. In the world, TONS of great feedback, in Belgium everyone said it is mediocre/poor etc... I never managed to even get him booked here, except when I did it myself :P How can a country influence taste? Or is it the "hype" factor, or people talking to eachother,... It's curious :)

that's really strange. artifact303 is something that's universally liked in my circle of friends. even the fullon-head that has asked me to turn off oldschool goa multiple times thinks it's good music.

the only thing i can think of is that the melodies are sometimes a bit trancier (which i like) and more "commercial" (still miles away from the border when that becomes a bad thing) sounding than usual...

maybe that's also why the remixe between artifact303 and e-mantra turn out to be so great with the subtle atmosphere of e-mantra and the memorable melodic content from artifact303 ;)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please don't hurt me: My favorite Etnica album is Chrome. For some reason I never really liked their goa trance too much - not that I don't like it, it's just that the connection is missing. Chro

I like Nitzhonot

Newly made tunes mimicking the dated sound of old school goa make no sense to me. What a waste. We have such sharp sounds now, so much cool stuff you can do with the tools available and it sounds so f

Posted Images

aaaaaaaaaaaand : Dimension 5

I do not really like Transdimensional very much, uninspiring songwriting and it gets old really fast, but Second Phaze is one of my favorite goa albums. Transaddendum is somewhere in between.

A good example for me is Artifact303. In the world, TONS of great feedback, in Belgium everyone said it is mediocre/poor etc... I never managed to even get him booked here, except when I did it myself :P How can a country influence taste? Or is it the "hype" factor, or people talking to eachother,... It's curious :)

Interesting . Its not old-school , not even your typical new school that tries to be oldschool . Its complete new school with modern full on production that isnt cheezy but yet has that distinctive melodic quality which cant be called full on yet doesn't pass off as old school for a purist.

He is a billiant down-tempo musician too . This tune from Floating spirals is soooo chilled . My top downtempo tune from any artist ever. I could just listen to this forever ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-i6-KRhEQ

agreed. D5 is overrated

It's not :D

If I had to show someone who doesn't know goa-trance: what is goa-trance, I will probably give him Transdimensional or TransStellar :) That is for me like the DEFINITION of goa-trance! And on the dancefloor it is the ultimate bomb... :) Second Phaze is ultimate morning floating spiralling goa :)

It's soo weird how tastes can deffer...

about Artifact303, I love it, for sure, but well, that album proves me that a "(negative) hype" between some people can actually stop a release from being popular in a scene...

about Artifact303, I love it, for sure, but well, that album proves me that a "(negative) hype" between some people can actually stop a release from being popular in a scene...

Please do elaborate.

Please do elaborate.

Well,the Belgian case I mean... you have some people with a big mouth on several fora. If they "like" something, chances are big, it becomes a hype in Belgium, if they dislike, the opposite can happen. This is the example for the bad. Ah well...

• 1 month later...
Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

99.9% of all the "hands in the air" and full-on (pop trance) from 2002 and onwards. All the modern psy with machine gun basslines (al sounding the same - is it a preset?).

The full-on slowed down to 126 bpm pretending to be techno.

my 2 cents.

[...] All the modern psy with machine gun basslines (al sounding the same - is it a preset?). [...]

Thanks Kris!! Exactly this. Also, in my opinion many tracks from famous and popular producers are just overproduced. This applies for Hallucinogen, Prana, Asia 2001, Dimension 5 (!!), doesn't apply for Etnica, Koxbox, Astral Projection, MFG. They have tracks that seem overproduced as well in some parts, but it somehow makes sense within the actual tracks. Anyway, of course this is very subjective.

Thanks Kris!! Exactly this. Also, in my opinion many tracks from famous and popular producers are just overproduced. This applies for Hallucinogen, Prana, Asia 2001, Dimension 5 (!!), doesn't apply for Etnica, Koxbox, Astral Projection, MFG. They have tracks that seem overproduced as well in some parts, but it somehow makes sense within the actual tracks. Anyway, of course this is very subjective.

Dude, Prana overproduced? In what universe? I need an explanation. :)

Hallucinogen - so far I have not got into it, he seems to be pretty hyped, perhaps thats why Im not a fan of Shpongle either, even though it might sound better to me now if I give it proper listen which I havent really.

Listened to LSD in recent days once - its good, but the rest of the album wasnt to my liking.

Then again, it took a while to get into IFO.

Took a while? You have 20.000+ posts and you haven't given Hallucinogen a proper listen yet? I suggest less posting and more listening! :D

No, but seriously... I ain't much of a fan either. You can't deny Posford's talents, but his style is a little too "humorous" for my tastes.

• Like 1