Your Unpopular Opinion?

Shpongled247

9 hours ago, Imba said:

None from above. It's just different times, different crowd wanting different music. Fresh music, modern sound. Old school has it own period and it was great. 

I am more confused with new school. Every other styled evolved and improved almost till perfection with technology and tools that are here now except Goa. Pick any style and listen to sound quality then listen to new Goa... it's like most amateurish sounding style. Can't we do it better? And why? :)

Spending 3 months on a kick and a 2 notes rolling bassline and nothing else like all modern-day psy isn't really the epitome of evolution in my (unpopular) opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Imba said:

None from above. It's just different times, different crowd wanting different music. Fresh music, modern sound. Old school has it own period and it was great. 

I am more confused with new school. Every other styled evolved and improved almost till perfection with technology and tools that are here now except Goa. Pick any style and listen to sound quality then listen to new Goa... it's like most amateurish sounding style. Can't we do it better? And why? :)

I think the technology is making matters worse. On one hand, professionals can use it to make things sound a lot better - listen to Oforia for an example. But then again, the ease of use makes it accessible to everyone, which isn't necessarily a good thing. People can "master" (read: maximize their amateur mix) using FL's Maximus or similar tools and release it on their own Bandcamp, absolutely no professional review required at any point. That sure doesn't help.

Also, it doesn't help if you improve the production at the cost of everything else to the point where the music becomes dull. I mean it's way more simple to make a kick, bassline, some percussion and sound effects sound fat than do it with multiple synthesizers that span the whole frequency range, right? Perfect production can be the icing on a cake, but I don't like icing without any cake. :lol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Imba said:

I'm not sure about amateurish sounding. Ra, Artifact 303, Psy-H-Project have very good production. Compared to typical modern psytrance their mixes sounds less clean but I think this is on purpose, goa it supposed to be "wall of sound" kind of thing. Some other producers like Filteria, Crossing Mind or Mindsphere (older tracks) sound more raw, I don't like it but I think it is also a deliberate choice and not because they don't know how to mix their stuff. TBH, very loud and clean "in your face" sound of modern psytrance, especially these ultra-sharp laser-like basslines, annoy the hell of me, I don't find it enjoyable or even danceable. I prefer the warmer sound of Ra or Artifact303 by far.

However the 90's goa is indeed a "closed chapter" as someone said. There is only so much you can do by tweaking the cutoff and resonanse knobs on a subtractive synth playing a Phrygian pattern. It may sound very cool but it all becames too samey at some point. I actually think the transition from goa to psytrance/full-on in late 90's was mainly caused by the rise of digital synths, such as Access Virus, offering new kinds of sounds with digital "robots/spaceships/aliens" aesthetics. So people moved on from the tried and tested goa sounds to the new territories. Contrary to that, it seems that many newschool goa producers intentionally avoid wavetable synths, FM synths, bitcrushers, vowel filters, digital distortions and other modern sounding stuff and use only small selection of subtractive analogue sounds. Apparently they want to stay true to the original goa trance sound but in my (unpopular) opinion this contributes to the overal sameness and the lack of evolution in newschool goa.  I'd love to hear more goa trance with some unusual tricky digital sounds in it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Imba said:

One of the main reasons I guess (lack of investing time in the sound to be more like the avant garde/out of the box vibe of the past)... :) Plus, this cartoon is funny as hell!

33656553_10156252249795330_98407038010261504_n.jpg

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2018 at 10:38 AM, Proxeeus said:

Spending 3 months on a kick and a 2 notes rolling bassline and nothing else like all modern-day psy isn't really the epitome of evolution in my (unpopular) opinion.

Well, making a good psy kbbb is not easy at all. I mean, it's easy to take a kick sample and s Sylenth preset and make something that sounds remotely like it, but making sure it's fat, it's groovy, it doesn't suddenly turn into crap when you check it at another sound system takes time.  

Actually Psilocybian, Braincell, some of the Nano guys are very creative at sound design, I like their trippy/glitchy metalic sounds. But without proper melodies it's hard for me to actually enjoy their music, I can listen to a track or two and even somehow like it but it quickly becomes tiresome. I'm waiting the melodic full-on wave to come back (yet another unpopular opinion, i know) injected with these modern edgy sounds.

• Like 1