Your Unpopular Opinion?

Shpongled247

Haha, I just find it funny how you describe it as humorous. But I guess I can understand why some folks aren't a big fan, it did take me several listens to actually start enjoying his first album.

For me it was the other way around. Posford was one of my favorite artists as a teen, but I grew to dislike his music more and more. The first Shpongle album made me realize why. It's like the worst imaginable Psy equivalent to Viking Metal.

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

Dude, Prana overproduced? In what universe? I need an explanation. :)

I think I get his point. Prana tunes are many times layered with a lot of sounds and rhythms making it a bit stressed. It's a matter of taste really. I like some of the Prana tunes a lot and some I also find too over-layered.

For me it was the other way around. Posford was one of my favorite artists as a teen, but I grew to dislike his music more and more. The first Shpongle album made me realize why. It's like the worst imaginable Psy equivalent to Viking Metal.

Wow! Amazing how opinions differ to the extreme. I consider the 1st Shpongle album nothing less than a milestone in music history, including all ages, decades and genres. It's a pure vision made into sound. It's serious alien music for home listeners.

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

Wow! Amazing how opinions differ to the extreme. I consider the 1st Shpongle album nothing less than a milestone in music history, including all ages, decades and genres. It's a pure vision made into sound. It's serious alien music for home listeners.

That's why it's called taste. The world would be so boring and predictable if we all agreed. I liked the first one (Got it from Simon on a DAT before it got released) but the rest of the releases sound too cheesy for my taste and also when you know where many of the samples comes from it's not so "magical" any longer.

If I know where the sample comes from and that source is related to the music, as in it makes sense and perfectly add to the track not only as sample but also with samples background(where the sample comes from), then it might add to the sensation for me.

Another unpopular opinion - its still uneasy for me to accept that Radi is real person :D!

Hmm, yep it's interesting how taste change over time.

I try die you

Haha, you pictured it correctly.

• 3 years later...
15 hours ago, Manuser said:

I find Digitalis much more interesting than Shakta :P

I agree ! I wish people made more psybreaks, that style had a lot of good things with it.

• 2 months later...

Newly made tunes mimicking the dated sound of old school goa make no sense to me. What a waste. We have such sharp sounds now, so much cool stuff you can do with the tools available and it sounds so fresh... The vibe of old school can easily be kept in the song-writing, there's no need to intentionally make it sound date.

So many releases like this. It's heartbreaking to think what could be.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jaza said:

Newly made tunes mimicking the dated sound of old school goa make no sense to me. What a waste. We have such sharp sounds now, so much cool stuff you can do with the tools available and it sounds so fresh... The vibe of old school can easily be kept in the song-writing, there's no need to intentionally make it sound date.

So many releases like this. It's heartbreaking to think what could be.

That's why I got tired of it. It's 2018 but people still keep making it dirty and amateurish like in 94, whats the point? For me it's shame to have badly mixed, dirty sounding track today with all free tools around. Don't get it...

Full On didn't kill old school Goa. Prog and minimalism did.

It was Prog that first pushed Goa aside for a minimalistic and clubby sound. Full On only followed 1-2 years later. So  the next time you wanna blame Full On for the downfall of the scene think again.

BTW That was a fact, not an an opinion :P

Here comes the unpopular opinion.

Son Kite, Ticon and the whole Digital Structures label was beyond terrible.

If you say that something killed certain thing, does that mean:

a) It killed it because it's better, or

b) It killed it because Goa music became stale, or

c) something else happened

I'm interested to see what do you guys think. I'm not leaning towards neither one, but personally I believe certain things started to happen in the right moment and it's one of the reasons why classical Goa music was pushed out from the focus.

Please don't hurt me: My favorite Etnica album is Chrome.

For some reason I never really liked their goa trance too much - not that I don't like it, it's just that the connection is missing. Chrome was one of the first albums I had on CD back in the days so it has a special place for me. The result is this very unpopular opinion. :ph34r:

Oh, and I don't think anything killed anything. In my book, modern psytrance and oldschool goa trance don't have too much in common and I treat them separately. I actually find it a blessing that oldschool goa is somewhat of a "closed chapter", because many styles end up becoming overly stale. Look at indie rock for probably the best example, and I think the same thing has already begun to happen with psytrance as well.

• Like 3

None from above. It's just different times, different crowd wanting different music. Fresh music, modern sound. Old school has it own period and it was great. 

I am more confused with new school. Every other styled evolved and improved almost till perfection with technology and tools that are here now except Goa. Pick any style and listen to sound quality then listen to new Goa... it's like most amateurish sounding style. Can't we do it better? And why? :)