Scientists Discover Normal Looking Psytrance Fan

Imba

rkj-aflac3.jpg

"breezy Thai fisherman pants" :lol:

Read story:

http://wundergroundmusic.com/scientists-discover-normal-looking-psytrance-fan/

Actually i saw few guys like this already. First time was in Belgium 2012... there was some buisnessman, really rich guy in super expensive jeep and Armani suit or something. It was strange to see that but also fun :)

Haha, very funny indeed. I'm not into some aspects of the psy scene (or I could say music in general) like the drugs and stuff like that, but I do enjoy seeing some of the art and bright t-shirts. Funny enough, I find Goa/Psy to be very relaxing.

Haha, very funny indeed. I'm not into some aspects of the psy scene (or I could say music in general) like the drugs and stuff like that, but I do enjoy seeing some of the art and bright t-shirts. Funny enough, I find Goa/Psy to be very relaxing.

Me too. You wont see me doing drugs or wearing space tribe clothes, maybe some fluo paint and thats it :)

This whole discussion makes me laugh because it reminds of one of those people who you think is all cute and innocent but then once you hear their death metal blasting you think differently about them, haha. I've had that happen to me on several occasions.

It's not important how someone looks, or what he do, does he have money or not... in this scene everyone is welcome and almost everyone is friendly. That's what is most important and what i love.

No matter how good music is if people who follow it sucks, that could reject me. Goodness of people in this scene is what keeps me inside :)

Very true indeed. Granted that there are some problems that come up in the trance scene but in general my experience has been great. Especially compared to folks of other genres like rock. They get very aggressive and act like their favorite style is the best (not all of them are like this obviously but many of the folks I've met in real life are). But oh well, I like many stuff regardless of the people.

Ha! Funny. I found this one on that site too:

Psytrance To Replace Sirens In All Car Alarms By 2020

Designers at the Mercedes plant in conjunction with scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have been working closely to attempt to find a sound that is more “piercing and grating than a normal siren.”

Edit: oh, they actually have lots of psytrance-related funnies, don't they?

Dr. Muller went on to explain how in the initial stages they were hoping to recruit a well known psytrance musician to make the music for the alarm. “We then realised there was no such thing as a well known psytrance musician so we approached a number of psytrance musicians, all of whom rejected us. Thankfully though the music is so shit and mindless that even non-musicians like me can master it.”

Oh this is too good. I am definitely gonna pay attention to that site.

IIRC I used to try and dress like a hippie , wearing ganesh shiva motif tshirts and 3/4 fisher pants when i first started listening to goa but then i quickly realized that there is no point in doing that until i got my self a couple of tattoos and some dreadlocks. I guess im a regular guy too.

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

The scene was build upon the vision that everyone is welcome to participate no mater gender, looks, sexual reference, religion etc. My protest the later years was that the scene became too elitist with people looking the same (spacetribe clothes, pseudo hippies etc.) and people looking weird at other people who did not "fit in". Diversity became a rare thing in the scene compared to the beginning. Today I see more and more diversity again and that can only be positive :)

• Like 2

I think a lot of the bias against "normal looking people" stems from the fact that psytrance parties are a very delicate thing. I think we've all had some kind of bad experience at parties and in most of those incidences "normal people" were involved in some way or another. Even the smallest things like someone whose not used to the atmosphere with a look on his face that says "oh man, the people here are weird" can make some people uncomfortable. I look pretty normal too i guess, but for some reason i feel way more comfortable when i look around and see a bunch of freaks (that's a good thing) rather than normal people.

But i guess the lesson to be learned here is that we're all freaks in one way or another :)

Héhé I remember a guy in costume & suit, dancing like mad at a Rhakti Dei Festival in 2003 or 2005, that was fun.

Anoebis told me that when he played in Tokyo, he saw people arriving in costume, changing to fluo clothes before dancing all night.

Well, there's a few people living for the music, with dreadlocks, dressing in fluoro clothes like Anoebis, but they are rare. Thinking that the whole scene is like that is cliché.

When you think about it, going to a festival such as Boom is quite a budget (plane, bus, entrance, food...) and a significant % of the visitors actually have degrees and serious jobs. That's my case, I dress like anybody, have an engineer degree, (used to) work for a big ass coporation...and yet (used to) go to festivals and run a Goa label on the side...

The perfect example used to be Burning Man: MANY of the attendees actually worked in the Silicon Valley.

I look pretty normal too i guess, but for some reason i feel way more comfortable when i look around and see a bunch of freaks (that's a good thing) rather than normal people.

+1

On a different topic that is somewhat related to this, I sometimes forget how weird Goa/Psy can be to the average folk who isn't part of the scene. Like one of my siblings for example. I drive her around sometimes and I usually turn on some music and sometimes some Goa/Psy like Goasia, Loud, Astral Projection, Jaia, you name it. She has liked some of the stuff but she really dislikes the majority of it. Like today I turned on Nova Fractal's Autopsy. It was all fine until the song hit 2-3 minutes in where there starts to be more effects and modulation going on and she tells me to turn it off and how my music is weird :lol: . It doesn't bother me at all but it's just that I forget that not everyone is a Goa fan (but they should be! ;) )

Heh, I remember one case when a discussion on an unrelated forum turned into "what's the worst music you've ever heard". Of course, most of the cool kids hurried to nominate rap or some latest boy band/star. (Around here absolutely everyone is supposed to listen to metal, not the "mainstream" stuff. The irony is staggering. OK, I digress...) Anyway, among the common candidates I spotted "Some band called Infected Mushroom. It was all just weird alien bellowing." Nowadays a few psy fans might agree but that was years ago when they were still sort of respected on this side. It was amusing to see from someone who probably didn't know much else about the genre and could have named anything as "the worst music in the world". It surely had left an impression on him.

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

A part from falling in love with the music one of the major reasons why i fell in love with the goatrance/psytrance/trance/techno scene in the early 90's was the fact that everyone was welcome no matter what they looked like etc.

in the middle of the 90's and forward all this changed. I recall playing at parties where everyone looked the same (the flouro-tribe) and if some "stranger" in a suit entered the floor everyone looked at the person as if he did not belong there. I have myself encountered being looked at as if I was a weirdo because I look "normal" and especially when asked if I wanted to smoke or wanted some chemicals (and I said no thanks) I have had people looking at me as if I was from outer space.

The last few parties and festivals I've played at was amazing due to the fact the vibe was as in the early 90's where everyone is welcome. I hope it continues this way :)

I've always looked normal, my entire life, except some psychedelic clothing's, mostly in the heydays and now when i dj, and I saw many people like me at parties, especially in the uk.

not to mention at some twisted records parties i even spotted some gentlemen in their 40s-50s wearing elegant shirt and jacket, just removing the tie to be more comfortable, so there is really everything :)

I even spotted some gentlemen in their 40s-50s wearing elegant shirt and jacket, just removing the tie to be more comfortable, so there is really everything :)

Now that is funny and would love to see that.

London scene is about 80% "normal" looking people, with far less dreadlocks and tye dye than u might find at a festival. That was weird to me when I first came.

Australian parties are much rarer and a more kind of underground thing I think. A lot more hippie ish looking people, as most normal people don't know about them as they aren't on every weekend. So it's only the people really into it that go.

The beauty of it the world over is indeed the diversity and idea that anyone is welcome.

In saying that though the you can spot troublemakers a mile away in London.. "Chavs" I think they call them here? Usually have no idea about the music, are there to get fucked up and are incredibly drunk and sleezing on girls and killing the vibe.

Thankfully they are booted pretty promptly if its a decent crew putting it on.

It's funny that Anoebis has the most "psy" heh, look, because he is the most normal, sober, nicest guy of all haha. Probably gets a lot of disapointed people asking him for stuff!