Neogoa. Why?

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

The commercial purpose isn't the only reason explaining this "hijacking" of the Goa word. It can also be a matter of ignorance, a mere cultural fact (> switzerland), or just the need to use an umbrella word to name at once all the psychedelic family refering to its first expression (a matter of legacy then).

Richpa what you call nonsense I call my opinion! Let's just agree to disagree. To me the name Neogoa will always have a weird and wrong tone to it.

And your opinion can't be wrong? I'm just trying to:

Please debate this. I am curious to hear your takes on the term/name.

...and if it's possible, to show you that your view about the strife within the scene caused by the term 'neogoa', is just nonsense. Maybe I'm wrong and uninformed, but also maybe you can give me/us solid example/proof?

I agree for me there is no point for this term Neogoa

Listen to this

Made in 2008, so we should call it neogoa just because of its release date ? this track could have been released 10 years earlier...

Who said it should be named as neogoa just because the release date? There are other factors which define the term. The production at the first place.

It's not black-white relationship, there is grey area in the middle and each goa trance addict who follows this music got vivid view towards the difference.

it's not a term that each artist or listener should accept or use it, not at all, there is a lot of artists nowdays who are doing oldschool goa trance. It is goa and it got oldschool as a prefix to make stronger definition of the sound, just like neogoa. I think that term 'neo' is self-exlpanational, it's a symbol for something new and fresh

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken not all synths in the '90s where analog and not all artists worked 100% analog in that period. Or am I so wrong?

So that's why I think the term, based on that argument, "neo" isn't that valid (just my own opinion here).

If you talk about mastereing technology, that we have a deal, or the (extra) software used today :)

Also music is maybe diffrent produced, but I would never say in the '90s most was done all analog.

Probably used more analog that electric synths...agreed.

It was a generalization. Meaning goa, and other electronic genres as well, headed towards digital evolution after Y2K.

Who said it should be named as neogoa just because the release date? There are other factors which define the term. The production at the first place.

my point is, if i understand well, this track from Jikooha is Goa:

and this track from E-mantra is Neogoa

as I do understand there is a difference in sound between both tracks, i don't see the point in calling one a Goa track and the other one a Neogoa track, I mean in 1997/1998 you had a track by Prana, a track by Koxbox, a track by Miranda they would sound totally different from each other.

When you say "it's a symbol for something new and fresh", my opinion is apart from the mastering skills i don't hear there were big innovations between the 1998 sound and the 2008+ sound. There was a improvement of course but enough to rename the genre ?

Anyway, these are just words to me, only important thing is the music itself, i mean who cared in the past about what genre was Battle of the future Buddhas or Ka-sol, it just sounded terrific and different when they started releasing tracks.

This discussion is endless of course. There is no "boss" who deceides which terms we should use I guess (Mr Goa Gill?) :P And as said by others. In every country they have different names for the genres. I have been to countries where the whole psy-trance scene was called: "psychedelic", "trance", "goa" or "psy-trance". And yes, they call progressive "goa" too :P Actually in my country, (real) goa-parties are referred to as "old school" parties. No matter what kind of goa :)
But as Fabien pointed out, there is clearly a Psynews generation. Here the new/old school term started... Somehow with a reason of course. But In my opinion it is useless afterall :P

About the scene. In Belgium only 2-3 organisations left doing parties with modern goa-trance... True. Which is weird, as we had 800 people on our Suntrip party last weekend. So enough people LOVE this sound. But it all goes in waves... At the moment "new" goa is not "cool" in our scene, and in 5 years it will be different. in the 15 years of dj-ing and organising I saw it happen over and over again... I'm curious what the future brings here... As it is clear in the rest of the world, goa is more and more living. The 10 year Suntrip goa-tour was a much bigger succes as I could ever hope for. So many countries, and not 1 party failed so far... And this is clearly opening doors for more and more organisers and people... It's again a global thing while it was a scattered scene for years! Thanks to a few SUPER motivated and trance loving people like Ine, Lord Flames, Stevo,... who started the goa-scene in their country, alone!!! :)

Actually, I was talking to Tsuyoshi/Prana yeserday, and influenced by the new goa-generation and the parties he did (like here in Belgium) he will revive the RTTS parties soon! :) So, goa is alive and kicking, on a global scale, which is amazing :)

of course it's all goa trance. i still differentiate because i think the overall sound has changed with newschool goa incorporating many elements of post-2000-psytrance. there are also new releases i'd rather label oldschool than newschool, because they stick to the original vibe/template. anjuna or zion604 put out mostly "oldschool" sound while suntrip and cronomi are more on the newschool side of things.

still, in my music library everything is just "goa" :)

And yes, they call progressive "goa" too :P Actually in my country, (real) goa-parties are referred to as "old school" parties. No matter what kind of goa :)

it's the same here. that's also a reason why i use the newschool term as often as possible. "oldschool" sounds like it's music for the old people from back in the day, while "newschool" sounds fresh and exciting ;)

Let me get this straight, is someone feels bad/good or degraded/elevated hearing 'neogoa' term or it's just pointless for some people because it's all the same?

If for one side everything is blue, and for the other some of it is light blue or blue-ish and they want to call it as they feel, why not?

Suppose it depends on if you think they sound different, personally, I think the fact that everyone knows which artists we are talking about when we say "Neogoa" means they do sound different. Different sound, genre evolution, different name.

I use the term because I feel like the music is utterly different and doesn't satisfy what I want when I listen to Oldschool. It seems obvious to me that the new wave of Goa has diverged enough to warrant a different name, and the name has clearly come naturally and is used fairly unanimously, no matter what those of you who say you don't use it think! It's folly to try and force a change in perceptions on this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

"Ooo it's Elysium who opened the thread, the biggest maniac of rhetoric, lol! Joske lied a bit there. He says he never used the world "newschool", but it's actually wrong. He promoted it more than once at event sand on different promos on the net, hehe.

Well basically, this word came in a conversation I had with Filipe (Lost Buddha) in 2006. We differenciated ourselves from the old gold era for obvious reasons: based on technologies (analog vs software), and fresh modern sound & skills. Also at that time they were some compilations who appeared under the title Neo Full-On from Yellow Sunshine Explosion, meaning that a new kind of sound that differenciates from well-known standarts.

But yes, of course it's all goa music. No question about it. "

That's Cosmogenesis speaking, who wrote this in response since he is no longer a member.

• Like 1

Joske lied a bit there. He says he never used the world "newschool", but it's actually wrong. He promoted it more than once at event sand on different promos on the net, hehe.

This is true of course... As a promotional thing I use this word. Because people know what to expect. I, myself, will never use it when talking to people about music or dj sets :P but you are right... :)

This is true of course... As a promotional thing I use this word. Because people know what to expect. I, myself, will never use it when talking to people about music or dj sets :P but you are right... :)

BAT ITZ ALL GOATRANCE :P:D:lol:

I also think it is all goa trance and guess what there are now other old names returning to their roots, releasing awesome newly produced mixture of what we used to call full on (post2k) with psychedelic swirls and elements like if we were in the 90s. Check out the TIP releases and you'll listen to something that we cannot define like "neo full on mixed with neo goa" but simply call it goa trance the way it was in the 90s if they had better equipment. So, the revolution started by Suntrip in early 00s finally spread its message around and even old timers re-appreciate the use of psychedelia mixed with top notch production and guess what, i like it very much!

That said I think we can still use neogoa vs oldschool goa just to differ about the age in which it was produced but that is all... with no negative connotations whatsoever

• 2 years later...

because Richpa decided to end of story i like it , i think we all should stay togheter as Fabien Marsaud said and fuck all

• 2 weeks later...

Martian Arts deserve a CD album release. Some very modular like psychedelic swirls in their sound.

One of my favorite artists at the moment..His album will be released on TIP soon, september/october 2016 :)
  • Like 2