Old school GOA-Trance

zghiri

(no order)

MFG - New kind of world

Chi-A.D. - Earth crossing

Blue planet corporation - Blue planet

Green nuns of the revolution - Rock bitch mafia

Prana - Cyclone

Ubar tmar - Ubarpedia (CD1 only for old school goa trance)

Dimension 5 - Transdimensional

Cosmosis - Cosmology

Cosmosis - Synergy

Toï doï - Technologic

Astral projection - Dancing galaxy

Astral projection - Another world

Asia 2001 - Dreamland

Darshan - Awakening

Hallucinogen - The lone deranger

California sunshine - Nasha

Ololiuqui - Dito

1) Chi ad - Virtual Spirit

Why?

"This music has it all: you can dance on it, trance on it, trip on it, chill on it.

Every track has this unique vibrant and clear luminosity in it.

Like the most ancient gods are talking to you: explaining all the meaning of life, the universe in a gently wise way you can only dream about.

This CD is love and compassion :)"

2) Kox Box - Forever After

Why?

"The whole CD sounds like the best funky Sf-goa ever!

Every time I listen to it I want to explore space and new world with high intelligence.

Please give me a space ship: let's go there!

Deep, warm, soft, subtle 303 trippyness.

Those baselines dude!!!

3) Hallucinogen - All his albums.

Why?

"All what he wrote here seems me like you are listening to a full concert.

Beautiful composed and with enough (un)expected twists (twisted rec ;) ).

In my opinion this is the personification of classical music in goa-soundscapes.

What an experience it is: every time a concert with every unique sound.

4) Color Box - Train to Chroma City

Why?

Cause they are Vikings and made rude basic sounding psytrance at its best.

All tracks evolve is this weird strange and on first sight to easy composed structures and melodies.

But in the end they have such a unique sound, never done before or after.

These guys are top producers too, so what made the mixing of the layers so nice within the sound they were imbedded.

5) Xenomorph - Casandra's Nightmare

Why?

Listen to the kicks and baselines: let's talk after ;)

Every track is like this little creepy fairy tale. With from time to time a melancholic ending, for example: Hallucinatory Spheres.

So here is the musical form of the movie Sleepy Hollow for ya!"

Prana - Geomantik (Alien Pets hello?)

Total Eclipse - Viloent Relaction (amazing vibes of dark meets light in the trance CD, not so huge on disc 2 thought).

Elysium - "Dance For Celestial Beings (So tribal and playful)

Cydonia - "In Fear Of A Red Planer" (Great proto-dark industial)

but I hardly ever bought or listened to albums. I'm a compilaton buyer, I get bored of albums easily.

Please don't use oldschool Goa trance, it's all goa trance, we don't want to divide the scene.

Ontopic: I.F.O. by Pleiadians

Maybe you don´t want to divide it, but the owners of the first new labels wanted. They told the artists to produce something different than oldschool; it should be goa trance but it should have a different wave. Then they called it newschool or neogoa. In my opinion new goa should sound absolutely the same as old goa, only with better production quality. Some albums of the last years are close to that, others sound much different.

@Happyhorse: Where can I buy Xeromorph - Casandra´s Nightmare?

Back on topic: My favourite oldschool goa trance albums are

Astral Projection - Another World

Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy

Astral Projection - Unmixed

Astral Projection Trust in Trance 3

Electric universe - One Love

Electric Universe - Stardiver

Brois Blenn - Paradise Connection album

Electric Universe - Solar Energy EP

MFG - The Prophecy (all versions)

MFG - New Kind of World

MFG - Project Genesis

MFG - The Message

SFX - Trust in Trance 2

SFX - Trust in Trance 1

The Infinity Porject - Feeling Weird

Man with no name - Moment of truth

Man with no Name - Earth moving the sun

Man with No Name - Teleportation

Etnica - Live in Athens

Etnica - Alien Protein

Pleiadians - I.F.O.

Hallucinogen - Twisted

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

Digital Sun - re-collection

And many many more albums

The scene was divided over a decade ago. Why not be open minded and let ppl call it whatever they want?

Maybe you don´t want to divide it, but the owners of the first new labels wanted. They told the artists to produce something different than oldschool; it should be goa trance but it should have a different wave. Then they called it newschool or neogoa. In my opinion new goa should sound absolutely the same as old goa, only with better production quality. Some albums of the last years are close to that, others sound much different.

I think You should read this post and the topic in general, because maybe You didn't get it properly ;).

Going back in topic, I won't be too original:

Electric Universe - Stardiver (pure sentimental value, but nonetheless worth listening)

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger (crazy stuff, together with 'Twisted' is the father of all unpredictable trance)

KoxBox - Dragon Tales (this one is so psychedelic, it's too much for some :) )

Pleiadians - I.F.O. (this album contains energy and melodies for at least three other LP's)

Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation (two discs for two different moods, both great)

Afaik, no body from Tranceform, Suntrip, Metapsychic or Phototropic never told to their artists -> GO AND PRODUCE SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN OLDSCHOOL. The main goal for each of thoose labels (I assume) was to release and revieve Goa trance music. The term itself came naturally as a symbol for the 2nd wave, after that, during the development of the sound and production tools in general it became a sort of classification for the more modern type of production in Goa trance music.

Saying something should sound like oldschool is a nonsense. It should sound how the artist/musician wants to sound. There is a lot of great artists nowdays who are making proper oldschoolish Goa trance, all you need to do is to take some time and find it instead of calling people to change their way of making music to please your taste.

Hello zikrr@£$,

A small top-5:

1) Hallucinogen - Twisted

2) Koxbox - Dragon Tales

3) Cosmosis - Cosmology

4) Transwave - Helium

5) Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

I know there are many artists who sound like earlier goa trance, but that was not the case at first. The first newschool artists did have a diferent sound and I am wondering how it came. For example artists like Astrancer, Afgin and others really have the newschool sound and don`t sound like classical goa trance. I am not sure whether the labels give the artists such kind of freedom as you say. Otherwise even I would have gotten a chance with one of my tracks, that was liked a lot by the people here. Instead Annoebis ignored it and never said anything to me. Even Nikola Petrovich, a guy with whom I had arguments from time to time, told me that one of my tracks is great in his opinion. Reason enough for a label owner to include me in a compilation, but I did not even recieve an answer from Annoebis. So I am not quite sure how much freedom the label owners give their artists and how friendly they really are. If you want we can debate this in another topic, but I just wnated to show you that the label owners are not all that friendly and cooperative.

The scene was divided over a decade ago. Why not be open minded and let ppl call it whatever they want?

Who divided the scene and how? Please elaborate.

My reply to the author of this topic was a sarcastic attempt to present the ridicilous narrow minded view towards the music we all follow and speak about it here. We all call it Goa trance and no body says it shouldn't be called like that, but also no body got right to say, you don't have a reason to label something as Neogoa or newschool when it's clear that there is a difference in terms of production and the time when its made.

That is so wrong on many levels. Why? Well because I could post my list made by releases from Nova Fractal, Mindsphere, Artifact303, BlackStarrFinale and act dumb to proove the difference between the oldschool sound and the newschool/Neogoa sound in Goa trance. In the end, it's all Goa trance...but that wouldn't be helpful to the author of this topic, right?

I'm not a genre purist, but when I hear the clear difference and when there is a proper name for it, used by peple, I don't see reason, why not to use it. In history of music, the evolution of the music itself happened because people decided to explore the different influences, different tools and the different areas where certain trends happened and thoose differences were named to give a better insight to the listener and to potential listeners. To give you an examples: South-African Psytrance, Israeli Full-On, Suomi, Australian Zenonesque Psytrance, etc. What would happen if we all say, thoose are ridicilous names, let's not use it, it's all psytrance. It's not something that divides like the author of the Neogoa Why topic mentioned (which isn't a strange thing, because he already compared the sounding of the term Neogoa to nazis), it's something that doesn't want to be bounded (in my opinion), at least not by a single term.

I know there are many artists who sound like earlier goa trance, but that was not the case at first. The first newschool artists did have a diferent sound and I am wondering how it came. For example artists like Astrancer, Afgin and others really have the newschool sound and don`t sound like classical goa trance. I am not sure whether the labels give the artists such kind of freedom as you say. Otherwise even I would have gotten a chance with one of my tracks, that was liked a lot by the people here. Instead Annoebis ignored it and never said anything to me. Even Nikola Petrovich, a guy with whom I had arguments from time to time, told me that one of my tracks is great in his opinion. Reason enough for a label owner to include me in a compilation, but I did not even recieve an answer from Annoebis. So I am not quite sure how much freedom the label owners give their artists and how friendly they really are. If you want we can debate this in another topic, but I just wnated to show you that the label owners are not all that friendly and cooperative.

One wise man once told me, the artists doesn't exist because of labels, the truth is that labels exists because of artists, but also, you have to know that sometimes your work won't get same reaction from different people. Some will like it some others won't. Some will find it good enough for their concept/vision, others won't. You should know that and never give up and never allow to change your vision just because somebody doesn't find it good enough. Personally I don't like to be involved in the writting process, but giving a honest suggestion to artist to improve his work (especially if we're in the situation that the material got potential to be published by Neogoa) is something that will for sure help the artist. Luckly I don't get my self involved into that too much and I only do that when the artist itself is looking for some suggestions, it's more discussions about the sound and the mix. Neogoa published music by more than 80 different projects/artists in almost 4 years, more than any other label and that speaks about the relationship between the musician and the label.

• 9 years later...

Been trying to find some original Goa LPs and the fact is all the full albums are psytrance and not Goa, I love both, but true Goa is more of a selection that a genre... a selection of trippy music that made its way into sets by Laurent, Swiss Rudi, Goa Gil, and the djs at the origins of the scene. There's been a lot of interest into the original scene and there are some amazing new comps like Gonzo Goa: Party Music 94 - 97, and the mixes Full Circle are doing (Trip to Knowhere, Back to Knowhere), having said that, what a crazy genre this is and all the music you've so kindly posted is amazing.