Guest antic

Ordered together with the Symbiote + Virtuart EPs :)

Just like me :)

Draeke also confirmed that d/l links should be up tomorrow for those that pre-ordered the CDs. Thanks God I have work to do, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to handle the anticipation :wub:

I must admit, that the level of this CD so high is, that I never heard it before.

What he did with DAT rec. now, we want to try with Cronomi too: go for top quality, original sound, top mastering,... but wtf??? This is going to be hard!

The aim, the aim :) We'll make it <3

THX Draeke: damned: This CD makes me very emotional!!!!! Very!!! I have no words...

Normally I don't like the recycling of "old" names, but this is a mind twister: 100% (analog) DREAMS!!!

BUY THIS SHIT GUYS!!!!

I must admit, that the level of this CD so high is, that I never heard it before.

What he did with DAT rec. now, we want to try with Cronomi too: go for top quality, original sound, top mastering,... but wtf??? This is going to be hard!

The aim, the aim :) We'll make it <3

THX Draeke: damned: This CD makes me very emotional!!!!! Very!!! I have no words...

Normally I don't like the recycling of "old" names, but this is a mind twister: 100% (analog) DREAMS!!!

BUY THIS SHIT GUYS!!!!

Hey you guys should be happy! Ya got PsySutra and he is amazing!

Hey you guys should be happy! Ya got PsySutra and he is amazing!

I know mate: we are extremally happy with our artists.

And I can relisten all our CD's many times in a row.

But this compilation blew me also away.

And it made me emotinal that it was so good :) I always have that with very good music.

So the fact it is very good, makes me eager to make again one compilation for Cronomi with new Goa and as good as this one :P

Guest antic

Just picked up the CDs from the mailbox - wasn't expecting the case to be fluorescent :o

Looks really cool, though! Thanks Draeke! :wub:

Now, when is that Doof double CD coming...? :P

After listening to the cd a few times i must complain a bit on the mastering.. I realise the mixing of the tracks are very old and may be a bit wierd from the start, and mastering cant really fix that.

But the Etnica track for example. The kick is way too dominant in the mix.

But there are other strange things with the album.. the tracks seem to be very different in terms of sound. It doesnt sound like the same mastering engineer did the whole album.

Overall I like the warm and analog sound - but especially the kickdrums vary too much between tracks. You constantly have to fibble with the EQ to balance it, and in the Etnica track I have to cut out some of the frequences all together in order to resolve the strange dynamics in that mix.

Other than this, its a great CD

Guest antic

Ok, so since we're complaining... :)

I liked the 1st half of the CD very much - more minimalistic versions of LSD, The Great Spirit and We Are Free are all superb, showing how and where those artists were beginning their goa journey. Funkus Munkus is typical crazy Slinky Wizard track and Ring of Fire is as awesome as it always was, though not very different from the album version.

But then it goes downhill - Free Lemonade is a typical weak, chaotic and unfocused Total Eclipse track, which sounds very outdated here, Etnica - with their usual hit-and-miss back catalogue - provides another plodding, boring track, a far cry from anything I've heard on Live '96 (which is the best Etnica/Pleiadians release IMO, BTW). Voyager 2 is grating and annoying, with typical out-of-tune melodies / sounds characteristic for Prana at the time. Whirling Dervish is OK - very laid back, relaxed, but hardly memorable.

Also, I'm not a fan of the pacing / buildup of the CD, with the intensity going down after Green Nuns' track. I typically listen to CDs in one go, from start to finish and this bothers me personally, though I realize it might be isolated issue.

Mastering is indeed very uneven, but especially Etnica's track is hurt - compared to the rest, it's as if it was playing behind a thin wall, on a cheap boom box: some sounds are piercing-sharp (hi-hats), but most of everything else is muted, subdued and very 'thin'.

----

Still, love the idea and am eternally grateful for the effort pulled by Draeke & Mark, so that I could buy this and provide support to the artists and Dat Records. But this compilation proves - which was already showing a bit with Mind Rewind 2 - that not everything that was hidden away in artists' drawers should be released...

Well I think simply replacing the weaker remixes would have fixed it. Pretty sure all these artist have stuff that is great and not released. For example I really think the total eclipse track should have been "Hit and Run live in Athens" you can hear here http://unreleasedgoa.blogspot.se/search/label/Total%20Eclipse . Now that sounds like a snazzy take on the Hit And Run melodies rather than just crazy knob twisting.

I have more thoughts on the quality but I think I'll just write a review rather than just post here.

i understand your issues with mastering etc but some of you lot complain way to much about it, this is an awsome release, and personally i love the sound, it sounds old.... it is old.

no probs here... well done dat

bring on more like this

Exactly!!!...yeah people are dying, starving to death, then mastering is not such a big deal after all! (my 2 cent´s of course)

Yeah, now I really feel stupid for complaining I don't like 1/3 of the tracks :P

But seriously, what I don't really like about psynews.org - in addition to it being inactive most of the time - is that any attempt to constructively criticize something is met immediately with people being offended that someone dared to say a bad word about goa record and/or label, as if it was something holy and untouchable.

I personally spend a lot of money on psychedelic trance, goa & chill music, especially lately when I try to buy directly from artists and/or labels, to give them better cut of my money and I also have limited time to listen to music with work & family duties, so I really want to know if a CD is good or not. But I get the impression that on psynews.org anything that's released is immediately 'awesome' because it is goa or it's from one of the revered lables (Suntrip, Dat, etc.).

So, yeah - my 0.02$ anyway. I've been on this site for almost 15 years now and I believe I know thing or two about this music, so let me express my feelings and let people judge the music themselves, without undermining or ridiculing others' opinions...

• Like 3

Exactly!!!...yeah people are dying, starving to death, then mastering is not such a big deal after all! (my 2 cent´s of course)

He can't criticize this compilation because people are dying and starving somewhere? Really now? Give me a break.

Irony/sarcasm... pic a choice :lol:

I understand exchanging opinions about music is 1st world problem, but then what's the purpose of a forum like this one? Surely it's not against the ToS to have different opinions? :)

I am very happy to hear the critics guys, well done, I don't think it is good to always praise when you have mixed feelings about something :)

I can add to these comments some briefs replies:

The tracks were restored from dat and some of them were in poor shape, the mastering fixed levels and polished them the way it was possible, I couldn't find Jesus Christ phone number (been looking though) so miracles were hardly possible and water to wine for the next compilation maybe :D.

Jokes aside, I do believe Jaro made an excellent job and at least the first 3 tracks sounds stellar, don't think anything better could have been done.

Slinky Wizard track was very hard to find and the copy we found was the best possible and Gus Till agreed it was probably the best sounding copy we could find. So we mastered it and it sounds good enough for a release, in our opinion (and the artist too liked how it was restored, so he gave it a go!). For Green Nuns we know it wasn't too different from the original mix but still had variations and it is longer, we thought it was an epic track back then and it still is, mastered greatly in my opinion too.

Total Eclipse: the liveset was their FIRST ever and the tracks were still in younger versions, from what we had this one was the one that sounded very different from the original and me and mark found it very very good, like the best of the liveset, hence why we chose it. Why we didn't chose hit and run? cause the preview u hear is the best part, the total track is less than 5 minutes, sorry but was not interesting enough for me to be released, free lemonade instead is a top killer track for me and mark, so we don't think we chose badly :).

Etnica: that is the original first mix, copied from the original dats in ibiza, I think it has an historical value and even if the sound quality is not the best ever, is a track that never appeared unmixed and full on a cd. The mastering made it sound better,still it had some errors in the original rip and we had to fix them.

The 2 closing tracks are for us pure jewels, and once again, is just taste I guess. We did not chose any track we did not like 101%, and I am sure many would love the cd as it is.

We have more compilations coming out and the sound will be different, so, just stay tuned!

Draeke

• Like 1

Kudos for you Fede to take it like a grown up man! As said many time already - keep up the awesome job that you do and please know that I / we only criticize - constructively, I hope - because we care and want your label and releases to get even stronger!