D&B with trance influences?

Lemmiwinks

ah yes indeed, I know Cybernetika's stuff, although it's more breakbeat than d&b... thanks for reminding me though, I haven't listened to him in a while ;)

[EDIT: oh, I didn't know he crossed into pure d&b realm with this album, thanks!! :) ]

i like the first track you posted Lemmi, nice mix of different genres

don't know many tracks like that, but Total eclipse - Psychedelic terrorist got a DnB touch

it is not similar to your track though, as yours is closer to classic trance, not psychedelic

Don't forget about Eat Static! Mandrake is such a beauty... and they have many more, some seldom mentioned, like Flapscratcher...

Another new artist to watch is Mindex; he's got some tunes up on Ektoplazm if you want to give his work a sampling.

well, I have 2 albums with Psy/DnB style released on Ektoplazm called "Colossus" and "Atropos", and a new PsyDnb-Album in the pipeline to be released soonish, I think it fits the description. ;) .. Thanks for mentioning it Veracohr :)

Since the fusion of hard and fast dnb rythms + basses and layers of melodic and hypnotic synths is so interesting I am constantly hunting for the best and most inspiring tracks in this very small subgenre :)

Here are some of my personal faves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-k2XJQXR_Y

Especially the russians seem to be into this stuff, there is some very underground russian stuff from around 10 years ago when this subgenre seemed to be at its peak. This one is one of the most popular - very catchy but still keeps a rough dnb edge with its amen break, liking it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_34Ke8d7DM

Paul B is one of those russian Dnb producers who have made a few interesting releases in a relatively short time and then sort of disappeared into the underground again. This track is a little masterpiece imo - early-mid-00s-sound at its best. Heavy layering of busy drumloops, wide reese basses, and playful, trancy melodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZkWivCM7s0

Future Prophecies made a huge variety of styles on their "Warlords Rising" album, but there are 2 tracks that are definitely worth mentioning. This is one of them... one of the most dark and relentless hyperspeed-rides I have ever heard. The other dark-trancy-dnb track is called "Black Dragon", so look for that one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRpPzIU-RrM

Brilliant effort from Rawthang. Them and Black Sun Empire really got my attention towards DnB. This is how it should be done, with the winning formula: heavy detuned reese basslines, fast-forward drumloops, simple yet effective melodylines and atmospheric backgrounds.

Hey thats a really nicenice track you posted Lemmi! And hearing it, Black Sun Empires MASSIVE classic track "Arrakis" should grease your noodle, even though it's heavier and darker. It's still very trancey! Especially the synth <3 -- np. the John B. track. .. The Total Eclipse track from the superb Tsunami VA, is defo more break beat oriented and less D'n'B, imo. But then again, I ain't no expert! .. didn't fancy the John B too much. is ok. np. Yana Kay

I am in wub with the Future Prophecies track posted above, really nice mood. Hearing forward to listen to the Rawthang :D

PS. does the melody/sound in "Magnetic" not remind you of a MWNN track? :smile:

PS2. Why is the album art of the Rawthang so similer to bLACK sUN eMPIRE's Driving Insane,

FULLY INTENSIONAL? Hey, I know this track .. .Nice1

I am in wub with the Future Prophecies track posted above, really nice mood. Hearing forward to listen to the Rawthang :D

PS. does the melody/sound in "Magnetic" not remind you of a MWNN track? :smile:

PS2. Why is the album art of the Rawthang so similer to bLACK sUN eMPIRE's Driving Insane,

FULLY INTENSIONAL? Hey, I know this track .. .Nice1

Magnetic is awesome isnt it.. I can hear a lot of influences from a few Goa/Psy artists in tracks from that time. In my personal opinion 2000-2005 was a fantastic time for DnB, seeing all the noncheesy trance influences on DnB tracks from that time, but somehow they got separated again.

Don't know why the cover is wrong, its indeed the one of Driving Insane :)

But BSE and Rawthang have worked together on some tracks, not sure where to find them all, but this is one of them. Brilliant stuff with great vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpaGcngvlxM

• 2 weeks later...

Roughly ten years ago there was sub-genre called trance'n'bass or trancestep by some, John B was one of the producers making this kind of music, although some of the tracks by 'trance' meant short loops with only slight changes during the progression supposedly helping listener to get into a trance-like state.

Reversing the topic tittle, few Slackbaba's productions are trance with d'n'b influences (in all his three albums), IMO definitely worth checking.

• 4 months later...

Great thread! Thanks to everyone who contributed to it so far - most of what has been posted is very much to my liking. :) There are a number of artists and releases I'll have to check out more closely when I get a minute.

Here's an absolutely gorgeous mixture of D'n'B and non-psychedelic Trance with wonderful vocals by Kirsty Hawkshaw (of Opus III fame); I can't get enough of that track:

For those who mentioned Rawthang it might be interesting to know that the vocals in those tracks haven't been recorded specifically for Rawthang (thus the 'feat.' isn't correct, strictly speaking): rather, Rawthang sampled those vocals from Kari Rueslåtten's album "Pilot". She's a great artist, and apart from "Mesmerized", all of her albums are highly recommended. If you like intelligent singer-songwriter music with electronic flourishes, be sure to check her out. I was positively surprised by this year's comeback album, "Time to Tell", too: she has dropped the electronic influences completely, instead focusing on a highly aesthetic, fragile acoustic sound. Her work with The 3rd and the Mortal back in the nineties is timeless, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

i see a LOT of the tracks of my usual dnb mix are already here :D hehe can t wait to link it, hope u guys will enjoy ^^

for even more good dnb stuff (or at least what i consider good) feel free to browse my playlist on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JpIJMMaiI4KjnHE-FB0QV51gjiKehvD

ps: i just CAN T let u speak about black sun empire without linking this one too...

• 1 year later...

ok so i finally riped/washed my vinyls and made a little mix out of it hehe ^^

lots of track you guys posted in this thread so... have fun and i hope u ll enjoy the flight as usual :D

80min @ 175bpm
Tracklist:
Stratus - Break It Down
Future Prophecies - Black Dragon
Stratus - Live
Future Prophecies - Magnetic
Technical Itch & Kemal - The Calling VIP
Technical Itch & Kemal - The Calling
Stratus - The Leader
Sta & Paul B - Gladiators
Sta & Paul B - Marathon
Sta & Paul B - The Lick
Sta - Licensed To Kill (Paul B Remix)
Accela & Plejik - Mental Collapse
Technical Itch & MC Jakes - The Rising
Crossfire - Transformer
Stratus - Jungle Terror
Future Prophecies - Acid City
Black Sun Empire - The Sun
Black Sun Empire - Driving Insane
Black Sun Empire - B Negative
Black Sun Empire - Arrakis
Rawthang & Kari - Beautiful Morning
Eye-D - Unicorn MF (Black Sun Empire Remix)