Classical music

exotic

Rather than start with full scale symphonies you might begin with shorter pieces. For example, I enjoy the following types of short compositions: overtures, divertimentos, minuets, German dances, modlinger dances, and serenades, all by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.

You can find many albums of such music at Naxos (http://www.naxos.com/) and other classical labels.

There are also many cheap "greatest hits" compilations for all the well known composers. Even though the cuts are very short it's an easy way to sample a lot of music to find out what you might enjoy.

Great site. There is a lot of information to sift through and frankly i dont know where to start. Please could you give a couple of well known composers whose works you enjoy and like and i will start from there? Nothing too fancy or too simple. I like orchestras / symphonies , that has more than just the piano.

something like this, though even this is too over the top , too grand. in between a full blown symphony orchestra and a simple piano piece.

Cheers!

Not really classical (I believe) but I really love Peter and the Wolf.

I love the storytelling of it. Each instrument represents a certain thing or character and if you close your eyes and let your imagination go, you can imagine all that's going on, of how Peter is playing, of the snow, of the wolf, and etc. I sometimes think that it is a great way to get your mind thinking of how to use sound creatively when producing a track.

Classical music can be overwhelming because there's so much material. I mostly prefer the Haydn / Mozart / Beethoven era, but there's also a lot of great music before and after these composers.

Here are a few initial suggestions which only scratch the surface:

The Best Of Haydn (Naxos)

The Best Of Mozart (Naxos)

The Best Of Beethoven (Naxos)

Haydn - minuets or divertimentos (divertimenti)

- the Paris Symphonies

- the London Symphonies

Mozart - overtures or divertimentos (divertimenti)

- Symphonies 38-41

Handel - Water Music

- Music For The Royal Fireworks

Beethoven - German dances, Modlinger dances, or minuets

- Symphony 6

Naxos (and other labels) also has "Best Of" compilations for many other composers, plus compilations organized around various themes, such as famous Classical melodies. It's an easy way to survey the genre if you're not sure what you like. Your local library might also have classical music available.