Your modular synth of choice?

Panoptes: There is still room for inspiration...What about tatooing on your fingers ADSR, one letter per finger? (except the thumb)

nice idea. I dont know if i'll ever make up my mind on a tattoo though ^^

Still trying to figure this damn chord machine out

https://soundcloud.com/panoptes/sets/playlist

Not directly related to modular stuff, but finally got my x0xb0x today! Except that it is super damn quiet, and the bass boost mod switch is...broken...and I check inside the box and see that the guy used some glue from a hot glue gun to put 1 or 2 parts together...and that the mix output doesn't even work...ya I am very unhappy. Definitely gonna be send it back to the guy and get a refund or have him repair it.

Got my Doepfer LC9u, Intellijel Metropolis & Atalantis & ES4 delivered just now. Will plug it all in tonight when my son goes to bed for the evening. I'll be posting pictures etc. once I get my entire 9u filled over the next years probably. The top shelf being just these Intellijel units then filling the rest with Make Noise & a few Doepfer utility modules. After that who knows? I'm considering another 9u of mostly The Harvestman with some Deopfer utility modules as my main digital type synth for the more crazy stuff & maybe a 6u of Synthesis Technology stuff for drones and more soundscape work.

Expert sleepers would be my favourite.

I've been looking at the Expert Sleepers stuff for fixing the midi issues i suffer but im afraid it will make me start collecting modular stuff. I already have too much equipment, so im getting a hardware sequencer instead (Cirklon), giving up on the computer for sequencing. Hopefully this will help my workflow, separating composing from mixing and help me focus more on sound design instead of fixing things in the mix. Now i just need a good hardware sampler...
:)

• 4 weeks later...

Ya, i've been listening to some of your demos. If I had a modular get I would want it, but it's just me and my BSII, xox, alto (which is a nice modular soft synth), and my drumazon.

• 2 months later...

curious to know why The Harvestman isn't more popular? Currently my tiny setup has the Poston Honda MKII & it's simply amazing. Wild crazy sounds. Anyway will post pics when all 9u are filled. Mostly Make Noise & Harvestman but planning another 6u of Intellijel. Waiting for my Drumatix & Bassline3 from Acidlabs to arrive first, and am tempted to blow out the budget on the Miami drum machine as well.

Argh, you guys make me so jealous. I wish I had the money for modular (well along with patience and etc etc). Lots of cool stuff out there.

This sequencer for example is quite awesome, the amount of stuff you can do with it is insane. It would be nice if they released a non-modular version of it. Makes me want to invest in this stuff but I already don't have much room at my place.

For me it's mainly because ice always preferred sequenced sounds to keyboards, and there is some crazy good stuff in modular that far outweighs vst or off the shelf complete synths. The Harvestman for example really fulfills my desire for industrial type music, Make Noise for me makes some wonderful experimental sounds & my Intellijel system will easily fulfill my techno/retro desires. Acid house is what I grew up on & Acidlab's non-modular gear is affordable and quality. While the Bassline3 will be great, I also have two x0xb0x's from Andy Pledger on the way at some point as well. One for studio and one for live use with my Roland TR-8.

I also have a bunch of pedals I wanna get, and a customs made 8 string guitar as well. I love the very early sounds of the commercial industrial work like Pretty Hate Machine etc. and I'm trying to catch that feel. Ms-20 mini & the Arp Odyssey from Korg will be the only keyboards I get until Arturia do a polybrute!!

Did you say that Acidlab's gear is affordable? hahaha, oh gosh that stuff can be expensive. But I agree it's quality stuff (as Kick.S has shown in his videos many times). I've mainly been doing stuff at home in my "studio". I also like sequenced sounds but boy I do just loving messing around with live improvisation along with some delays and reverbs (and other effects too I guess) on my Bass Station 2. One major problem that I've been having is trying to incorporate all of my synths into some of my tracks. While I know I don't have to, I like to see if there's something that I can do.

Arturia do a polybrute!!

I would buy that in a instant, as long it isn't too expensive nor so cheap that it falls apart (like some of their products apparently have been suffering).

Does anyone here do live gigs (well besides Martian Arts which I believe he does)?

acidlab is affordable compared to retro Roland gear. Especially here in Australia. And the Pledger x0xb0x's are costing more than Acidlab but it's worth it. I haven't done live or production in studio for nearly a decade when I sold off my old gear from the 90's. I'm actually doing a course in production which is helping me focus on competing and finishing music, usually I just make sounds instead.

I used to do the London acid sound live with a mate. All original Roland gear. A cheap mixer, 2x303's (one modded Devil Fish style), 1x909 & 1x808 & a sampler. Fx were just some cheap guitar pedals for fuzz n' delay that we had & a microphone that was always open to crowd to use . It was noisy, loud & 100% original. There was a time when all the mixer went bust and the only channel working was the 909 halfway through a 3 hour set but we managed to keep it going just programming the 909. I produced jungle & gabba at home but it was very basic, mostly for fun. When I wanted to propose to my girl I sold all the gear for and engagement ring and a house deposit!

Wow what a story. x0b0x luckily are cheap (well relatively compared to other places and etc) where I got it from. The acidlab miami is like 800-900 dollars when I looked it up months ago. That live stuff truly must have been great and unique.

But wow is that a crazy end for that gear, for a wife and house. Not saying that I wouldn't do the same, but man it's just that music is part of my soul now. I can't imagine selling it. But still having a family to love and care is definitely great and even better.

You'd be surprised where you get to play. I played Mojave desert, California, last week and I am glad they rented the gear for me and I didn't use my own. Some venues in Goa are also not very friendly for electronics...

Expect to play in small clubs with very limited space on stage.

Expect to play outdoors where there is so much dust, it almost covers every label on a CDJ...

...and everything in between.

Also, don't expect a party organisation to cover for any damage whilst performing. Most probably, they won't.

Yea, I've heard that Goa isn't the most pleasant place for electronics.

Sounds like ya gotta take care of everything very well so that it doesn't break down or wear apart.

But then again, I don't really plan on playing live stuff for some time since I want to focus more on my studio stuff.

I want to do live acid again which is why I'm doubling in some gear. 1 for studio & 1 for live shows. I had a mate who last night was doing a mad live modular set & some bloke spilled a full pint of Guinness over his gear!!

Luckily he insured his gear for live performance & repairs/replacement will cost him at most $500 for $3K of damaged gear!!