Your modular synth of choice?

Love the pic, wasn't particularly fond of the sample :P

How do you integrate that in your music which, presumably, is made in some sort of computer DAW? Can you hook up the synth to the computer and drive / sequence it from the PC via MIDI, USB or at lest VC, or do you have to sequence the synth using some old-school hardware sequencer and then record the output to your DAW and sync with the rest? I love things like that - recently played with Arturia's MicroBrute at the music store - but I'm afraid the endless tweaking possibilities would stifle my creativity even further...

I haven't really had a chance to incorporate it yet. It wasn't until a couple months ago that I had enough modules to make even slightly usable sounds, and I haven't been making music lately anyway.

But it's like any other hardware synth. I run MIDI to it from my computer and run audio from it into my computer and/or monitoring setup. The second module in from the left side of the picture is a MIDI interface. It produces pitch and gate signals along with several options for additional MIDI messages, like a second MIDI channel or CC messages. It also has options for how it produces gate triggers, and note priority.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Martian Arts - great, but where's that album of yours?!?

Frankly, you could just dump those jams to CD and I'd buy it...  :wub:

Thanks for kind words.

Album is finished and ie being mastered. Waiting for the artwork...so yeah, soon. I hope before the end of the year but I doubt it.

The Strontium Dogs (side project with Eat Static) album is almost finished as well. Loads of things in the making.

• Like 1

Martian album on TIP and most probably physical release.

Strontium Dogs definitely physical. Label we haven't thought about yet. We'll think about that when the album is finished.

Very nice! :) looking forward. Have seen few videos of live performance of Strontium Dogs and they are sick. :D

• 3 weeks later...

@Martian Arts, awesome! :)

BTW, this little thing blew my mind:

Made a track with Orestis and we used the 0-Coast like there is no tomorrow https://www.facebook.com/100009455712042/videos/1707294079595766/

Nothing that small, sounds so big. And its incredibly well thought out. The rannge of sounds is massive with some basic patching. I have a DPO and I am drooling over the VCO on the 0-Coast. It sounds different, btu just as good!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't have time to read the whole thread, but:

I have a few ways of working with external gear. Sometimes I just use placeholder VST sounds to craft the basic structure of track, and then later track these with external gear. Very straightforward and no effort wasted.

Other option is to just record stuff, and use it later. But cutting up the samples, etc takes time. Also there is the risk of spending time to do recordings that I forget to even use, wasting time.

For controlling the modular I use mostly an Expert Sleepers ES3 module (convert audio to control voltage) with ADAT audio and Reaktor/Silent Way to get perfect timing, with MIDI I often had some timing problems etc.

I don't even have LFOs etc on my modular, since I can get this stuff from the computer with the ES3. Reaktor is exceptional, and the new version of Bitwig seems like a party too with the integrated modulators and CV out... With hardware I'm more into filters, feedback, self modulations etc wild stuff that computer still don't do well.