A question about festivals

juril

Since I've never been to one myself, I'm curious to know - do artists play already released tracks at events or how does it go exactly? The reason for this question comes from seeing Fragletrollet and Derango, to name a few, at festival lineups, yet neither one has released anything recently.

I think a big draw of live acts, for me is that they often play unrlsd stuff, even if just a different mix of a live track. Of course they also play a lot of released tracks as well.

I saw Derango for the first time last year and I think it was kind of a "best of" mix of known and maybe a few unknown tracks. Was amazing :-)

Just as someone from this forum once put it to me, expect an "exhibition" of the artist's work. The artist will present his/her work to you -- some (in some cases even most) of it may be released already, some of it may be known but rearranged stuff, some will be remixed and some will be new.

Just like a painter's exhibition. Some of the works you may already know, some of them may be new. Except that in your case the creators themselves will be present and actively showing you their stuff by playing it to you...

When I like an artist's music, I'd always go see him (or her) when they play. I don't matter whether they have released anything recently or not.

Even if they had not released anything ... heck, why not go up to them after their set and ask? You really can do this in this scene (at least when there's not grumpy security holding you off -- I assume there won't be), as long as you keep polite and nice you won't have anything to fear ... and you'll never know the outcome if you don't go :)