2014 Festivals - What Styles will be predominant?

Shpongled247

Just as the title says.

What do you think is the state of global psy culture at the moment?

Which styles will shine brightest this coming summer, leaving some of us seeking solace at camp while others flock to the floor?

Is Goa making a nice surge in festival lineups? Is dark and specially minimal stuff dropping off?

I think a bit of both but feel "progressive" bookings will dominate the majority of what we hear once again. (Doh!) ;)

But of course I am glad to see goa gaining traction these past years.

What say you?

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

The usual "Machine-Gun" psy(pop)trance, Full-on pitched down to 126 BPM (Now called psyTehcno) and a small handfull of Goaartists who for some odd reason has been announced as the only pioneers of the 90's.

In short. The usual lineups with the usual names.

Forest, Darkpsy & Hi-tech (best scene for freaks, fairies & die hards), Psytrance and of course prog.

No real new names & little (oldschool) Goa Trance this year. Full on is definitely dying (or is already dead).

Shame the german festivals don't book other Goa Trance than Filteria (or other Suntrip artists) and GNOTR, I would like to see some other names...

I guess I don't consider Nano as Full On, but as Psytrance. But I have to say that I don't listen to that subgenre that much, so I might be talking out of my ass. :-)

What I meant is indeed morning happy happy joy joy extremely climax based rolling base pain in my ears trance.

Variations of dark and prog with some classics sprinkled here and there. Goa is still in the margin.

Chillouts seem to be serving all kinds of interesting, provided that chillouts actually are built for chilling.

In the North America, darkpsy will prevail with scatterings of the rest of psy.

anywhere else, an good chunk of everything. hence I travel to ;p

and what is this Hi-tech term I am seeing more and more? on the dark side or that cheesy full-on "weird" sounding stuff (which I could never give a name to)?

and what is this Hi-tech term I am seeing more and more? on the dark side or that cheesy full-on "weird" sounding stuff (which I could never give a name to)?

It's like darkpsy up to 165-180 bpm with many crazy fx around. Stuff like Furious, Kashyyk, Highcosmos etc.

Sometimes I wonder if the fullon era wasn't preferable...

it definitely was. most of it was cheap, cheesy and without depth, but at last typical "psy" sounds dominated and it was driving and good to dance to.

now we have progressive, that's cheap, often cheesy and without depth with minimal techno sounds dominating and no drive at all or even worse: constantly interrupted by dubstep parts.

my prediction is that most festivals will have psycore/hitech at night and aforementioned progressive at day and small bits of either uk fullon, remnants of cheesy fullon, zenonesque or goa thrown inbetween to bridge the gaps.

full-on was spectacular! Its not hard to find the right releases. I know a lot of crap came out along with it and after. Goa had done the same, too. Boring releases came out with the same ole sound.

I've already got my 65 eur tickets for SUN and it's perfect for my taste. A lot of old-schoolers (PRAAAAAANAAAAAA......), phenomenal chil-out and some good progressive.

I haven't checked other festivals, Ozora was good but SUN is perfect for my taste, so I don't care about the rest!

Yeah well if they actually bother to build a proper chillout this year. Last year's "chillout temple" was more of a joke :| Sand floor for chilling? WTF.

Harris (the chill-out stage manager) is a friend of mine, in fact Tim Schuldt is playing at his place tonight (I'm going of course), I can tell him personally about your comments.

Harris (the chill-out stage manager) is a friend of mine, in fact Tim Schuldt is playing at his place tonight (I'm going of course), I can tell him personally about your comments.

Sure, even if I'm not going to S.U.N. this year it would be nice to make the chillout a bit more...inviting as I felt it was a bit haphazardly put together last year. Well, I didn't like the new chillout dome at OZORA either (2011 was my last). I know, I'm picky :)

I've already got my 65 eur tickets for SUN and it's perfect for my taste. A lot of old-schoolers (PRAAAAAANAAAAAA......), phenomenal chil-out and some good progressive.

I haven't checked other festivals, Ozora was good but SUN is perfect for my taste, so I don't care about the rest!

the SUN line-up is too good! I dont believe it when I read it. Going to be a fun time and my first festival out of the US. 8)