Isn´t Art of Trance just beautiful?

radi6404

I find Art of Trance to beone of the most emotional, happy and dreamy groups in the trance scene. They/he are/is unique. They have a very fresh sounding style, which in my opinion is a hybrid between goa trance and regular trance. What I really like a lot about it is, that it is very electronic and has many analogue sounds. The melodies are also very incredible, for example in Killemandjaro or Monsoon. A really beautiful track. There are a lot of incredible tracks by them and some are very complex in sound. What is your opinion of Art of Trance?

I think all of Platipus Records, both old and new stuff, is pretty good. I really like their style of trance music. I get excited every time they post a new teaser on their soundcloud page. LOUD has recently been getting more involved with their record label, which is quite nice since I like their style of music.

Ya I have to agree with you a lot. I really am digging the new sound of Platipus. It may not be like the 90s trance, but it has a similar vibe. I recommend checking out some of the other releases they have had. Some folks here have complained about the new Union Jack project because it doesn't have all the original members, but I liked their album they had from couple years ago. It may not have been all trance, but it had some nice sounds that I really could dig. Plus I can't really complain about Platipus since they also have been remastering and releasing their older stuff also. They are up to 6 archives of them now.

So what are the best Platipus records albums, old and new? I don`t like Union Jack that much because it sounds a bit too happy and cheesy. Art of Trance is more electronic and the melodies are deeper. I am interested in all interesting albums from Platipus Records, Union Jack included.

Union Jack is too happy and cheesy? Well then you are going to need to explain that one Radi, because I don't see Union Jack that way at all. If you claim that Union Jack is too happy, you better do some explaining why one of the most famous euro trance songs was Madagascar by Art of Trance, which I would claim is much more cheesier than any other song that UJ made. But what ever, I don't really care too much. Both are good artist.

What are the best Platipus albums? Well that one is a bit tough since I love them all, haha. Well thing I have to say before i list my favorites is that Platipus has more singles releases than albums so there isn't a huge list to pick from. The other is that though I have lots of platipus stuff, I have yet to listen to all the albums and singles, despite having them in my library for a year or so.

I'll do a top 5 list of the ones I have listened to, this is in no particular order:

1. Art Of Trance ‎- Wildlife On One

- I love every song on here, except for Gloria which is an okay track but I didn't like it as much.

2. Union Jack ‎- There Will Be No Armageddon

- This is probably one of my favorites albums of all time. Deciding a favorite track from this album is quite hard but I really do love Red Herring, Two Full Moons and a Trout and Lollipop Man

3. Terra Ferma ‎- Turtle Crossing

- Funny thing about this song is that when I first listened to it, apparently I didn't finish transferring all the files unto my phone so some of the songs weren't completely played and glitched which made me very unhappy. But eventually I figured out what happened and I finally did get to listen to all of it fully. I also really like this album, though I wouldn't have mind if the last several tracks weren't ambient but otherwise it's all good.

4. Moogwai ‎- 5 Wishes & More

- Now this album is a bit different than the rest of the Platipus records, but Moogwai is just another aliase of Chab who did some tracks with Platipus. While it is different from the rest, I really enjoy it for what it is. Warning for those who aren't the biggest fan of normal trance, this may not appeal to you (but I have a little secret which I hope you guys don't stone me for: I actually normal trance just as much as I like psy/goa. I like the uplifting stuff, the progressive stuff, and etc despite what some here may claim it being uninspired, boring, dumb down, and etc).

5. Union Jack ‎- Pylon Pigs

- So this is the new album (well it was released in 2009 but whatever) of Union Jack. This Union Jack is different than the one from the 90s, since it only has one of the original 2 members which I know some folks here claimed this being stupid and making UJ fake, but whatever. I really love the first track of this album, Papillon. I think it does a good job at capturing that vibe they had from many years ago. There is one slight problem with this album and that is there is quite a good amount of downtempo/ambient tracks. While I do like these genres, it would be nice to hear more trance stuff since I already have a good amount of ambient stuff. I also liked their last track, Funnelweb, for the same reason why I like Papillon.

Yeah, they're dreamy :wub:

Need to check out some of the new platipus stuff though. Looks cool B)

Here is some of their recent stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/platipusmusic/sets/loud-domestic-vinyl-sh-t-1 - I personally prefer the Terra Ferma over the original, but both have strengths in good ways.

https://soundcloud.com/platipusmusic/sets/union-jack-gibbon-baboon

https://soundcloud.com/platipusmusic/sets/art-of-trance-stratosphere - Terra Ferma in general seems to do lots of good remixes, it would be nice to see him actually produce some more singles though, but seeing him doing remixes is a good sign.

https://soundcloud.com/platipusmusic/sets/art-of-trance-praxia-platipus

https://soundcloud.com/platipusmusic/sets/union-jack-papillon-remixes

indeed ART of Trance are one of the bests trance acts,

ALL THE PLATIPUS stuff is iincredible,all the early realeses have a touch of magic,we have 2014 and these tracks are far beyond in any term ,SIMPLICITY and the same time COMPLEXITY, imagine what impression these tracks did in the past back then

begin the trip into Platipus with

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Platipus-Records-Volume-One/release/21697

then

follow the sounds of

http://www.discogs.com/Art-Of-Trance-Wildlife-On-One/master/2256

after a bit a bit proggie stuff but still in Platipus sound

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Platipus-Records-Volume-Three/release/49762

i think right now u are a expierenced Platipus Ear to listen this one(not a Platius realese but a union Jack rmx)

its too late i think to continue,''fall to sleep'' listening this one

welcome to the Platipus world

''Good morning''

@desysko, I just think that Union Jack uses other sounds and arrangments as Art of Trance. As far as I know they are one artist, but still I prefer Art of Trance. Art of Trance sounds more driving and is faster, it also contains more electronic sounds in my opinoin. Union Jack is different in style and not as harmonic and warm. The sound of Art of Trance is wider and broader, however a bit more linear, maybe progressive as Union Jack. That is how I percept Unin Jack.

Hmm, ok Radi. Also just for future references, Art of Trance and Union Jack are different. Art of Trance is done by Simon Berry himself, while the older Union Jack project was with Simon Berry and Claudio Giussani, who is better known as Terra Ferma. The newer project is with Simon and another man, Paul Brogden who is better known as Pob or Clanger. Just so you know.

@ma05683

Nice selection of tracks and good suggestions for albums to listen to. I only liked the first 4-5 volumes they released, after that it sort of lost my interest. But that was some time ago, maybe I should recheck the other volumes after 5.

I actually have Quietman's album on my list of things to listen to soon. I can't wait to hear it, I've already spoiled myself by listening to a song or two.

I'm pretty sure that I've explained the problem with the new Union Jack in other threads, but I'm gonna explain this again.

It's fairly obvious once laid out:

Platipus Records is owned by Simon Berry

Art of Trance is Simon Berry

Simon Berry also collaborated with many different artists from the label too.

Terra Ferma is Claudio Giussani

Union Jack is a collaboration between Claudio Giussani and Simon Berry

P.O.B. is a solo project by Paul Brogden

Clanger is a collaboration between Paul Brogden and Simon Berry

So this is where it gets frustrating to me as a follower of this label for just about 20 years, the name Union Jack has weight and merit. They earned all of the respect and love that people have for them. Union Jack is Claudio and Simon. The new "union jack" is actually Clanger. If Simon actually wanted you to be objective about the music and judge it on its own strength and merit, he would trust that giving it a new name, or simply making it a new Clanger album, would have garnered the same results.

Simon is obviously trying to sell a few extra albums by using the Union Jack name.

I like POB and Clanger a lot. I really enjoyed those releases and even considered trying to book POB for a party around 2000/2001 out here.

So I have no problem with Paul and Simon kicking ass and writing killer music together. I just find it curious that they decided to give it the name of (arguably) the label's biggest name.

Art of Trance was good n all, but Union Jack was easily the defining artist back in the day. Robert Miles bailed and shit like "Calling your Name" found some success, but Union Jack is legend. They are Union Jack. Simon knew what he was doing by releasing the new release under that name. It definitely got more attention than it would have if it was named something else. I just find it kind of lame and cheap.

I can understand your frustration now that I read it. I guess you are right that they could have released it under one of the other former names or a new one, since it isn't truly with all the people who were originally behind it. What does bother me is that Claudio is still active though, at least as a remixer. So he definitely possibly could have been doing stuff with Union Jack's new stuff (unless he has recently since they have released some new tracks since their latest album). But in the end, while it does matter to some degree for me about the members of the groups, I also care about the sounds and music they produce, which I think has been good.