Are Introduction To PsyTrance series reliable on YT?

rhazor

Hi, new to this scene, I noticed there are many subgenres of psytrance and I wanted to learn about it. I found series with a playlist on YouTube called Introduction to PsyTrance. Can someone confirm it covers pretty much all subgenres of Psy and that given examples represents exactly those styles?

Also why Psybient is not included? It's not a part of the scene?

Also please share other sources where to learn difference between styles and etc.

Cheers

Ormion's YT series is definitely the best thing to expose you to the broad subgenres of psytrance

psybient may not have qualified for the videos cos it isn't trance, but sure it is still part of the wider culture. I think if you searched youtube for psybient and clicked around you'd get an idea of the genre pretty quickly

Hey Ormion, what you think of comments on Dark Goa video? People say it's not dark enough, so is there even darker Goa? Also is there a subgenre which is already dead and which one is most popular? Also as I understood Nitzhonot is the cheesiest one? Which one is most commercial and which one is most underground?

Also what was the first ever psy or goa track and album? Also why there's no psy on vinyl? I was browsing Discogs, only CDs are popular, but no vinyl. Other scenes like techno or house are popular on vinyl, but why not trance?

Sorry for so many stupid questions, lol!

Also is there a subgenre which is already dead and which one is most popular? Also as I understood Nitzhonot is the cheesiest one? Which one is most commercial and which one is most underground?

Also what was the first ever psy or goa track and album? Also why there's no psy on vinyl? I was browsing Discogs, only CDs are popular, but no vinyl. Other scenes like techno or house are popular on vinyl, but why not trance?

the subgenres that are pretty dead right now are psytek/minimal psytrance.

fullon and progressive from the last 5 years or so can be a lot more cheesy (and especially commercial sounding) than nitzhonot.

the most commercial/popular subgenre has been fullon for years, but it's recently been replaced by progressive in that role. over here it's all progressive or psycore now.

goa seems to be the the most underground variant that has any appreciable following.

the first goa track is debatable (there already was quite a bit of goa around when it "officially" became known as a seperate genre as opposed to "the music that's played in goa", so those early tracks were placed into the goa category in hindsight). i'd say it would have to be something like The Overlords - Sundown (Ionizer Mix) from 1991.

there's not a lot of tradition playing vinyls mainly because india is too hot for vinyls, so DAT tapes were used back then (thus also no tradition for mixing in the way usual for other genres of edm) and when goa/psy arrived back in europe full force there were already CDJs around (which work equally well in goa).

Yeah that '92 remix sounds nice. But I read comments saying it's not really trance. But again, all I see on CDs are albums and compilations. What happened to CD singles (CDS), CD Maxi-singles (CDM) or just home made CDRs? It's just because I kinda came to electronic music really late (well, I am young) and now all you have are those lousy MP3s from Beatport. I still can't live with that idea that you have to actually pay for something that is digital... Ahh I wish I was in my 20s in mid 90s, I'd probably have tons of vinyls or CDs by now.

Hey Ormion, what you think of comments on Dark Goa video? People say it's not dark enough, so is there even darker Goa? Also is there a subgenre which is already dead and which one is most popular? Also as I understood Nitzhonot is the cheesiest one? Which one is most commercial and which one is most underground?

In my opinion if a track is dark or not should be compared to other tracks of the same genre. For example UX is darker than most Goa, but if you compare it with Black Metal it may be not that dark. Plus Dark Goa is supposed to be Dark as in space dark and not as in horror dark. So on one hand I kinda understand someone saying that Dark Goa is not dark, but on the other hand I think it is. :P

Like Padmapani said techtrance of 2000 period is definitely dead. That's all I think. Others have changed completelly but not dead IMO.

Nitzhonot has the cheesiest nelodies, but some commercial full on is way cheesier like Dali. Most underground? I think besides Full On and Progressive all other genres are equal underground.

About cds I think it might have to do with the fact that Goa/Psy became popular when cds were in their golden era. Techno and House are older music so vinyl was more popular back then. I may be wrong.

About the first Goa track is a question that AFAIK hasn't been answered yet. I think the first "officially" Goa compilation is Project II Trance.

Welcome to Psynews btw.

I guess in the case of vinyl there just isn't the market for it. CD mixing soft/hardware exists so vinyl isn't required for DJs any more, so the question is why is vinyl still thriving in other genres? I think there are a number of reasons for that; there are audiophiles who insist they sound better, or at least sound different; there are some artists (e.g. Autechre) who have a sizeable fanbase who are willing to buy every available format to hear the difference, own the artwork or just for the sake of completeness, but psytrance doesn't have a sufficiently large and dedicated fanbase for that. And I think that there are some genres where vinyl is just fetishised because of its historical role in dance music, but psytrance fans don't really do that either.

The explosive growth of the Internet over the last 20 years has also had a major impact on music media.

On the one hand, the Internet makes it possible to assemble a global audience of sufficient size to (almost) support a niche music like goa / psy.

On the other hand, Internet technology pushes music in the direction of easily distributed digital files rather than physical media like vinyls and CDs.

i'm not sure if techtrance is completely dead...Opsy and Cujorius One have carried the flame, as well as others i'm forgetting (some Uroborus Records stuff)

Plus Dark Goa is supposed to be Dark as in space dark and not as in horror dark.

very good point. the aesthetics of "dark" are broader than some pure darkpsy fans might think

Plus Dark Goa is supposed to be Dark as in space dark and not as in horror dark.

very good point. the aesthetics of "dark" are broader than some pure darkpsy fans might think

The aesthetics of darkpsy are broader than some darkpsy haters might think.