Psynews "Best of 2013" poll

Rotwang

I included the Crop Circles EPs in my own votes, so I'm definitely on the pro side.

This comes up every year with no solid answers so we'll probably have to accept different interpretations as long as there's "2013" written somewhere on the release...

Unless we explicitly state that they're not not allowed, the solid answer is that they are. Anyone can of course choose to exclude re-releases if they wish. Personally, I hadn't heard all of the songs/versions of the songs on the Crop Circles EPs until I got the re-releases, so they were kind of like new releases to me.

Yeah, this one is tough - I have (again :)) a question. I like both CDs enough to put this release into a list, but the first one is uptempo and and the second is psychill. Should I write it twice, I saw the second CD has a sub-tittle '2Minds in Dub' ?

I'd say you can include it as both uptempo and downtempo. I can go back and check the 2008 poll to see how people dealt with Opus Iridium, but I bet it was like that.

• Like 1

In 2008 you could include a VA with chill and uptempo on both poll sections. I did this with "Opus Iridium (Suntrip Records)". About 2013 re-issue releases and new-release. If it's released in 2013 it's released in 2013, be it re.issue or new-release. Doesn't really matter imo. As long as it's actually released under the tag "2013".

I'm happy for remastered/extended rereleases to be included in the poll if the other mods are. It's happened in previous years.

I'm not going to argue against that, I actually forgot the bonus tracks (1 or 2)... but still think it should be considered by the voter if they really deserved the spot instead of an actual new release... that's all ;)

So should I remove the Dimension 5 releases aswell from my list? And what about MR2 and Nervasystem?

I think it should be up to yourself. I have removed TransStellar from my candidates since they are all released on EPs in the past... Just for the sake of actually voting for some that was made public in 2013. For Nervasystem and MR2.. why should they not be considered? As far as I know it is primarily previously unreleased stuff? Or am I wrong?

About 2013 re-issue releases and new-release. If it's released in 2013 it's released in 2013, be it re.issue or new-release. Doesn't really matter imo. As long as it's actually released under the tag "2013".

Ahhrr... they has to limits... I mean there are plenty of re-issues that have never been considered, all the avatar ones for example, when it's simply just a matter of "repressing" with or without some re-mastering. When the release have been altered it becomes a grey area (as said before)... but otherwise what determines a new release, only number of year it has been out of print?!

This is by far the hardest year for me to choose, i have at least another 10 that could be here!

ovnimoon rec's biggest surprise for me this year, 3!

up

01 Filteria - Lost In The Wild (Suntrip)

02 Ovnimoon - Transmutation Of The Mind (Ovnimoon)

03.DIMENSION 5 - TransAddendum (Suntrip)
04.DIMENSION 5 - TransStellar (Suntrip)

05 Phaxe - Calm Under Pressure

06 v/a - Mind Rewind 2 (DAT Mafia)

07 Trinodia - Astral Clouds (Ovnimoon)

08 Various - The Call Of Goa (Ovnimoon Records)

09 Lyctum - Vibrations Of Life (Tesseract)

10 Various - Skizologic - The Kingdom (Zion 604)

down

01 Shpongle - Museum of Consciousness (Twisted Records)

02 E-mantra - The Hermit's Sanctuary (Altar Records)

03 VA - Turlitava 2 (Neogoa)

04 Akshan - The Rise Of Atlantis (Altar)

05 Globular - Magnitudes of Order (Ektoplazm)

06 Benji Vaughan - Even Tundra (Twisted)

Quote: ...only number of year it has been out of print?!

IMO, if www.discogs.com sais a release is from 2013, it should be possible to add it in "your" vote. No matter what re-print or whatever it is.

Ahhrr... they has to limits... I mean there are plenty of re-issues that have never been considered, all the avatar ones for example, when it's simply just a matter of "repressing" with or without some re-mastering. When the release have been altered it becomes a grey area (as said before)...

+1

I think the albums already released should be considered essential for the first year of the release. If 'Dragon Tales' or 'Twisted' would be reprinted in 2014 with new mastering should they take the spot on the list? A bit unfair. On the other hand, a bunch o singles stuck on one album is sometnig new, even if the music has already been around, because it takes to buy just that one CD to have it all.

If Koxbox had made a re-re-release of "Dragon Tales" in 2013 and it topped the psynews votes, I think that would be really interesting and should be well, included / shown .. . Don't know why I'm expressing my opinion so strongly here now, for me it's really the same same, buut, yeah, it's my now outspoken opinion. I agree to my point statet. Let it be shown that an old album re-released is more poular then the fresh new release. It's cool.

Uptempo:

1: Algae Bloom - The Blossom (Sun Station)

big surprise, i thought you were more on the goa-nazi side of trance :D

mine, so far

up

1. Phaxe - Calm under Pressure (Iboga Records)

2. Juno Reactor - The Golden Sun of the Great East (Metropolis Records)

3. Haldolium - NINI (Blue Tunes Recordings)

4. PharaOm - Shelter Ten EP (Future Disorder Recordings)

5. Para Halu - Acid Waltz (Psylife Music)

6. Stereofeld - Frequenzwechsel (Sun Station Records)

7. 1200 Micrograms - 1200 Mics (TIP Records)

8. Zetan Spore - Psilocybia (Aardvark Records)

9. VA - If I wasn't Human, I'd be a Trance Track (Cronomi Records)

honorable mentions: Flembaz, Dimension5 (sorry, music's not really new :P)

it's a tough one between 1 and 2, but realising that this is Phaxe's debut..., well, proggy lovers, give it a spin

down:

1. Kaminanda - Ancestors & Guardians (Merkaba Music)

2. VA - Turlitava 2 (Neogoa Netlabel)

3. Phone Booth Robbers - Falling into One (Omnitropic)

4. Slackbaba - Ask (Liquid Records)

5. Shpongle - Museum of Consciousness (Twisted Records)

6. Supersillyus - Interabang (Self-released)

7. VA - Through the Afterlife (Silent Existence)

8. Globular - Magnitudes of Order (Self-released)

9. enCAPSULAte - Fetal Position (Waveform Records)

I hope u'd be willing to include the crop circles because after all it's a release out in 2013 and as well the mind rewind 2, not because it's my label but because i also think the dimension 5 cd qualify for the voting.

Unless u make a votation where you clearly state that reissues of old tracks or VA with music made in the 90s is not valid for the voting, then i hope u'd include them all, as released in 2013 :)

Let it be shown that an old album re-released is more poular then the fresh new release. It's cool.

You might thinks it's cool (I respect that), but it has nothing to with new releases... it just becomes a weird kind of popularity chart and as old projects are well known they have much better chance at scoring higher in those (with their peak albums etc.), while the focus on upcoming or current musicians will be reduced even more. I think the point of these polls should be to evaluate "this" years new releases (with old or new music). You of are course entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. And this has further problems, since when discussion releases nowadays you can't exclude the digital ones, and the amount of digital re-releases is overwhelming, making it even more obscure....

I personally voted for the Crop Circles' singles because this was the first time I had the pleasure of listening to them. (I don't go youtube hunting for music I can't easily and legally get.) And they did remain on my ipod for months, which is something I can't say for any other uptempo release (re-release or not) from 2013.

I can, of course, remove the votes, just thought I'd clarify.

So 2013's releases of old unreleased goa is OK?

Oh yes, why not?! :) The only real issue is the re-issue :P... of the same release

I personally voted for the Crop Circles' singles because this was the first time I had the pleasure of listening to them. (I don't go youtube hunting for music I can't easily and legally get.) And they did remain on my ipod for months, which is something I can't say for any other uptempo release (re-release or not) from 2013.

I can, of course, remove the votes, just thought I'd clarify.

So far that should be fine since they are modified releases (with extra material +25% and +50%).

Surely there has to be something new about the release.

Not just remastering but unreleased bonus tracks, remixes etc should be OK.

I mean if a single can be on the list then an album that has a new track or two from the original release should be alright too.