What do you "miss" of the times when you were young?

Anoebis

Time for a nostalgic thread! What do you "miss" of the times when you were young? Write yours as well

(I was Born in 1982)

- A Gameboy & Atari!
- the "old" smurfs on Belgian television (Now they have babies? Wtf?)
- Writing real paper letters to friends
- the music! (Acid new Beat, the golden 90s dance music)
- Children could wear anything they liked untill their 15 without getting bullied
- rolling tapes with a pencil
- There were still many abandoned houses to explore in the countryside
- When you got online, the telephone line was not available for hours!
- Every Christmas you had Home Alone on TV... And you actually liked it
- Grandparents telling stories about the war

(I was Born in 1982)

1982 as well.

I lived in a very rural area for about the first 10 years of my life, 20 kilometers outside of Vienna, then we moved to the border of Vienna and now I live inside the city.

Even though I suspect I'd miss Vienna itself even more if I moved out, I definitely miss the tranquility and nature I had around me back then.

Most of all, I guess, I miss the naivity regarding everything that wasn't immediatly around me right there and right then. Being absolutely present in most every moment, experiencing it to the fullest.

-Exploration of the area/nature around our house.

-Also going to friends, just to play video games, because my brother and I weren't allowed to play more than one hour a day at home.

-Everything (including video games) being so new and exciting.

-Staying with grand parents.

-Being the super-stealthy robber, when playing cops and robbers during lunch breaks in the garden at school.

-Routinely getting up one hour earlier than necessary, in order to walk to school (instead of being taken there by car) and play table tennis in the morning for hardly half an hour, before lessons started.

-Pretending the floor is lava.

-The grass being always greener on the other side (as nonsensical as this may sound).

What do I miss? Hmmm..

-Not having to care about what's going on, just to have fun (well I still sort of do this but still have a life, gotta take care of it)

-Being able to sleep a lot (well 8-9 hours is a lot for me, I don't usually get that much sadly)

-Playing all those old games and not caring whether they were good or bad because I didn't read other people's opinions (still don't care about other's opinions, but it does to some degree affect me)

-Discovering new music especially trance music

-Going to the park every Sunday with friends and cousins and playing parkour tag

-Being able to be extremely imaginative and play them out with cars and legos

-My trampoline

-My pets

-All of those books and stuff I've read online that I don't remember anymore

-Some of my friends

-Being little and playing with my siblings

-Miss everything that is gone or has changed from all the farm land that is use to be around the place to old places I use to go to that are now demolished or changed in radical ways.

Man, nostalgia is a powerful thing. I love it and I hate it. You know what I mean.

1975 New Zealand

i miss the innocence of youth

riding bikes in the street without a helmet

walking the streets at night.... feeling safe

i miss my parents

i miss my brother

discovering the vast arrays of genres of music

i miss my long hair

I MISS MY DREADLOCKS!!!!!!

opening presents at chrismas, insides about to burst!

michael jackson

being the city mouse going to the country

blowing up letterboxes with fire works

i miss metallica when they were gods!

i miss disney when it was real!

i miss not knowing all the problems in the world

i miss school!

i miss new zealand

i miss not having responsibilities!

i miss the 80's glamour and excess

i miss petrol when it was 20 cents a litre

cigarettes when they were under a dollar a pack

searching through records for hours on end, listening, then finding the one!!!

WONDERBOY!

you could say i am peter pan still searching for my neverland!

nice thread joske i am a extremley nostalgic person!

could keep going but you get my drift!

It's funny, when I was young I couldn't wait to grow up and always wondered what i would be like in 20 years.. Haha.

Now 30 years on I miss:

Exploring with friends, riding bikes all day having mini adventures.

Waking up early to play games for an hour before school, sometimes more, haha.

After school football or whatever out front of our houses with friends.

All night gaming sleepovers playing goldeneye etc.

Seeing my brother and mother everyday.

Not having any responsibilities really..

No responsibilities

No fear

No work

Everything's an adventure

Building den's

Penny sweets

Ice pops

Riding bikes to nowhere and back

Doing really dangerous things and it not being a problem

Christmas was better

Birthday's took forever to arrive

Saturday morning cartoons

Summer Holidays that lasted forever

I also wish I'd paid more attention on car trips, when my parents made me look at the scenery and go to historical places of interest rather than being a miserable stupid kid.

I was born in 1981 in the North West of England

I was born in 1978, it's actually scary to see how I old I am now. When I was in my teens I could not even imagine turning 30, I thought I'd die before. Mainly because it felt so unreal. Anyway, here's what I'm missing:

- Having so much time to do stuff. Doesn't matter if it's playing with friends, videogames, reading or just being outside.

- Getting excited about birthday and x-mas

- Having no real responsabilities besides doing homework.

- Living with my mom and dad and having also grandma's appartment in the same house; seeing all of them daily (not that I would want to live with them, that would drive me crazy actually, but it felt like a real home...)

- Having long holidays in the summer and having much more holidays in general

- Actually enjoying school

- Being excited about x-mas tv specials and other tv programms (when i was a kid we only had about 4 TV channels, they also didn't broadcast all night)

- The few tv shows for children were actually entertaining and funny

- I miss how people were generally (at least that's how I perceived it) more interested in politics. I remember lots of demonstrations (and also fights with the police) regarding alternative culture centers, the chernobyl incident and what not. Nowadays the few demos that take place are way smaller and "regular" people rarely attend (unless it's about gay rights or similar stuff, which is of course also a good thing but still...).

- I also miss lots of the small shops that were common in all the neighbourhoods: butchers, bakerys... Nowadays you only have very few of them and big supermarkets instead (they also bring benefits, like a bigger variety of goods, so I'm not really complaining that loud)

Time. I remember when the +/- 3 months of summer vacation felt like forever, and it felt like I did so much during that time. Now 3 months feels like "shit, did I leave the couch in the last 3 months?" (not counting work, of course)

Novelty. When you're a kid everything is awesome because everything is new. Playing in the dirt is awesome because the more you dig, the more new pieces of dirt you find! But after a while you realize that every piece of dirt looks the same as every other piece of dirt. Then you become old and bitter and jaded. Or maybe that's just me. ;)

one very important thing mentioned above. we were very unaware about the real life, everything was just a game.

I'm 30 this year and really, I still love every second of my life. But the innocence and game playing life of my minor years were a bliss.

But should we really start worrying just because we grow old and become indepedent? Keep on playing dudes and dudettes.

Not having my anxiety disorder & OCD. It didn't set in until I was around 19. It makes life hell some times.

I also miss the innocence, I find the news & world around me so depressing most the time. Thank god for my little 21 month old son, he really shows me what life is all about. Having fun & enjoying the small details. It might take 2 hours to walk around the block but i'll know every little stick, pile of dirt, crack & bug along the way lol.

I know the feeling :)

"lolwut seriously you can't be more than 20"

hehe...i actually think i was at my peak in my 30's if i could go back id def. pick 30's over 20's...of course it probably helps that in my 30's people thought i was in my 20's...i guess i was just a late bloomer.

30’s rock awesome. You've gotten over the awkwardness of the 20's, young girls think you are mature and rich, older women find you young and vigorous. Just stay away from women your own age, they just think you're shit.

• 3 weeks later...

I miss the feeling of treasuring even little things ... an ice cream, a few hours of playing video games with friends or just watching sat TV cartoon shows with them (we didn't have sat TV)...

But most of all, I miss the time.

I had time for walks, bike rides and whatnot almost every day. And I saw my friends every day at school.

Nowadays I don't even wanna go for a walk, no time during the day and at night there are too many bums and strange people around. I can't even watch a billboard anymore at 22:00 without being questioned by police what I am doing there (that really happened, I swear, no joke!). I live in the same area as I used to 20 years ago and I see it going down the drain, day after day even more. Makes me tired.

Im form '81, so I'm fully 90's person, good times! I miss watching Empire Strikes Back, The Sting, Matrix, Die Hard, Sixth Sense and many more for the first time, listening all this great music for the first time. The trick is we have knowledge and experience now and this reducts wow-factor greatly, unfortulately either this or that.