Do you do drugs while listening to psytrance?

FatKidWitAJetPak

Interesting! Im glad to know there are many perspectives in this culture. I am throwing a festival in April in central Arkansas (400+ people) and am setting up an ambient/downtempo tent for people to escape the dance floor. Everytime these tents are setup, it turns into an opium den, lol. I totally respect the drug side of the culture, especially since much of it has been inspired from drugs, but I personally don't find any need in my experiences. I love the music for many, many reasons, and I simply don't need any substances to enjoy them. Although, perhaps one day, when the moon is full, and I am surrounded by friends in my psy family, along with my lovely girlfriend, I may do some shrooms... but don't count on it ;)

Not often these days. Once in a blue moon I might do some acid at a festival or outdoor party, but no "heroic amounts."
My hedonistic days were in the 90s, where I'd take mainly E and sometimes LSD at parties, but I've got more responsibilities and less energy now!

I'm glad I had those high-times, but I think it ran its course and I don't feel the need much anymore.

I've listened psytrance on a lot of different drugs, but the vast majority of my listening now is done when sober.

Ironically I don't really enjoy psytrance on tryptamines (like shrooms or LSD). It's just too loud and intense, and I feel the same way about Metal or Punk music when tripping on them. Some psychill or ambient is great on tryptamines though, as well as a lot of psychedelic rock.

I absolutely love psytrance when under the influence of dissociatives (Ketamine, MXE, DXM) though. When i first got into psytrance I was using a lot of dissociatives and for me they are perfect for each other.

Weed increases my appreciation of just about any kind of music, and psytrance is no exception.

I've never enjoyed alcohol at all really, so it's hard for me to get past not enjoying the experience.

DMT - Haven't tried it, although I have access to some 5-meo-DMT, I assume it will be like the mush for me.

On 5-meo-DMT music is basically completely alien to me I can barely even recognize it as music I am so out of it. The average 5-meo-DMT trip is shorter than a typical psytrance track too so it wouldn't be the greatest drug for music listening anyway.

I've listened psytrance on a lot of different drugs, but the vast majority of my listening now is done when sober.

Ironically I don't really enjoy psytrance on tryptamines (like shrooms or LSD). It's just too loud and intense, and I feel the same way about Metal or Punk music when tripping on them. Some psychill or ambient is great on tryptamines though, as well as a lot of psychedelic rock.

I absolutely love psytrance when under the influence of dissociatives (Ketamine, MXE, DXM) though. When i first got into psytrance I was using a lot of dissociatives and for me they are perfect for each other.

Weed increases my appreciation of just about any kind of music, and psytrance is no exception.

I've never enjoyed alcohol at all really, so it's hard for me to get past not enjoying the experience.

On 5-meo-DMT music is basically completely alien to me I can barely even recognize it as music I am so out of it. The average 5-meo-DMT trip is shorter than a typical psytrance track too so it wouldn't be the greatest drug for music listening anyway.

dmt to intense for music, salvia is a different story, i have given alot of people salvia experiences, would recommend mystery of the yeti track 2 i think ( the one with the dog barking)

Why did you have to be rescued? What happened?

Club bathroom, no idea what I was doing, friend kicked the door open, shouted "what are you doing?" and I had no idea so was taken away. Remembered it the next day with a sense of relief and regret :lol:

Haha abasio :lol:

@travbrad1001

How is Music on Mxe? I´ve only done some High dose Trips, that turned me into pure cosmic energy, while my whole world was 2-dimensional and lot´s of low dose Trips, which dind´t really change music experience.

A few times. Psytrance gave me some nice closed-eye visuals on mushies, but the mood was too nerve wracking to really enjoy; I don't think I'd play any uptempo music in that context again.

OTOH I had a really comfy and nice experience while listening to this album: http://www.discogs.com/Art-Of-Noise-In-Visible-Silence/master/2600

It depends. I have to admit that I'm kind of an aficionado of how psytrance sounds while under the influence of various substances.

There is just nothing like a good dj-set/album/track while being high on acid. It just let's the music come to life, the concept of hearing music is linked to so many different senses while high it really creates a synergetic ultra-experience. So once in a while, maybe 2 or 3 times a year I take acid and listen to Goa. If I'd ever trip without hearing goa I'd consider that a wasted trip.

I smoke quite a lot of weed, and also on weed the music changes a lot to me. It's weird because I've known people who say the music doesn't change at all for them while being stoned. I on the other hand experience a rather drastic change in the perception of the music, even so drastic I'd doubt the possibility of the perception of music not changing while high.

With that being said: I listen to Psy-Trance all the time, so naturally I also enjoy it sober. It's the only music for me that actually warrants the time being invested in it.

WHile I was a student I experimented rather heavily and I was always curious about how the music would sound :D

I used to smoke a lot of weed, bevore my schizophrenia got too bad, but yes, smoking weed changes music experience drastically.

So i had some mid dosed Mxe, yesterday. It changed music experience a bit, and i could listen to Psytrance. :)

Club bathroom, no idea what I was doing, friend kicked the door open, shouted "what are you doing?" and I had no idea so was taken away. Remembered it the next day with a sense of relief and regret :lol:

So, what were you doing?

And while listening goa-trance, I don't do drugs :) On festivals acid happened, but only once a year maximum, except of that totally sober, no alcohol, weed, whatever

I love good beer and weed, drink and smoke both daily. I also listen to goa, psytrance, or psychill every day (pretty much music is always on when I am home), so to answer your question: yes.

I don't use psychedelics as much as I did in college, now only mushrooms once or twice a year if that. Usually, I listen to Shpongle, Mysteries of the Yeti, The Infinity Project chill albums when we eat mushrooms. Only goa I will listen to is Hallucinogen.

@travbrad1001

How is Music on Mxe? I´ve only done some High dose Trips, that turned me into pure cosmic energy, while my whole world was 2-dimensional and lot´s of low dose Trips, which dind´t really change music experience.

It's hard to describe really. It sounds somehow distant or detached, but at the same time feels like the sound is surrounding you. It also feels like I can more fully experience every layer of a psytrance/goa track when under the influence of MXE.

You're right though there is definitely a middle ground on MXE that is best for music appreciation. I can take a few tries to figure out what the right dose is for you to reach that place.

It's hard to describe really. It sounds somehow distant or detached, but at the same time feels like the sound is surrounding you. It also feels like I can more fully experience every layer of a psytrance/goa track when under the influence of MXE.

I think, this is what i had two days ago :)

You're right though there is definitely a middle ground on MXE that is best for music appreciation. I can take a few tries to figure out what the right dose is for you to reach that place.

Yes, because when i had my high dose Mxe experiences, i wasn´t even able to hear the music anymore, while on a low dose music experience doens´t really change.

You could snort 5-meo and it could last a up to 3 hours, haven't done it though, from what I've read online it's a hell of a nose burn but a longer/milder trip.

I had a fancy-dress party last weekend at my family's house (me and bro 2rd floor, parents 1st floor, grandma Ground floor), since it's the carnival season we first played disco and latin stuff and gradually progressed from House to Goa. The cops came at around 5am and told us to stop, I was totally sober since I had to look after all the sound, light and video equipment (had about 1KW sound, moving heads and 2 projectors) and take care of the house and guests (about 100), so I had no problem chatting with the cops.... everyone else was totally paranoid and were swearing at the cops from the 2nd floor while I was chatting to them on the street. We had to lower the volume to very low levels and the cops left saying just that we have to make it quits, not even a written warning.

I slept at 6:30am but the party stayed on until about 8am... and my little Bro pulled a super-hot tall blonde girl, so I was very happy for him.

The funny part was the I woke up at only 10am (like I do everyday for work), since I was sober the night before. My mom had come up to our floor mopping and cleaning and she had about half a bucket with alcohol from all the left-over glasses and the rubbish bins were filled with hundreds of joint butts and half-joints... I'm sure she knows what was going on but she's a cool person... so no problems... she was also very happy that my bro pulled the gorgeous chick.

Mostly I'm sober in life - no caffeine, no alcohol, etc - and listen to a lot of psytrance.. I love psychedelic music when I'm sober because it gives me that trancey headspace - "with music like this, who needs drugs??"

But sometimes a nice psychedelic is just the thing - and I like psytrance then too - higher doses though I don't like psytrance as it's too aggressive, but psychill is awesome!!

Me and a couple friends drank a bit of ayahuasca a few weeks ago and were blown away by Solar Fields, Shulman, Kurbeats, etc - DMT + harmala alkaloids are amazing for music, as are mushrooms..

Cannabis is fantastic for music also, but I've decided that cannabis clouds my mental vision and leeches away my dreams and goals - so I no longer use it.. That being said, THIS, is the stoniest track I've ever heard - downtempo Beat Bizarre - it takes a bit to build, but have a listen and tell me this isn't a heavy cannabis vibe.. All tracks sounds great when stoned, but this one always tranced me out like no other when I'd listen to it high on cannabis..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXffq3aZAko

• 1 year later...

I never fuckin' did drugs , curse that shit plus I have friends working along with me in and out at the Police Station/ no messing around here. If you don't believe me i dare you , we'll be all in blue and green waiting at your door step.

check my soundcloud shit and have phun , free downloads n shit , imma creating a new album , theres lots to dou.

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo...the blueberries I picked during the weekend are in the freezer and I noticed I turned 44 during the weekend so I guess it is time to make some confessions. Glad I found this thread, because there's something I am burning to know...

But first...here's my history and opinions.

Drugs:

- a few lines (max 5-6 times) of amphetamine. Went down like this: Ofc I am interested, why wouldn't I be because I was like "this close" to become a medical doctor in the past (studied medicine for 5 years, never graduated) and illegal and legal drugs' differences are minimal and under ever-time dispute. So when I was in some private homes I had the chance to try out and I did. Too cool. If amphetamine was safe for your body and legal I'd probably shake the powder on my morning oatmeal but I will stick with the blueberries ;) Let's put it this way: real life stuff is enough to handle and I get messed up with it once in a while, so doing drugs is just a mess upon a mess and I am not that stupid + there's always a danger of getting addicted..don't want to even think of a burden like that! And because this is psynews my comment concerning music is that because "normal ppl" can only seldom be on drugs while listening I consider those experiences "not getting the point" of the music listening itself. Psychedelics I have never and will never try because I am scared of the unpredictable effects. The other thing that does not happen is taking anything illegal in public (festivals and so on).

- weed: hahaha..and a big lol. Two times tried with buildings falling on me and ending up throwing up in a bathroom. Such a nightmare. Meant not to my "fast" brain.

- alcohol: now we are talking :D I am a Finn. We have a drinking legacy here up north. So with alcohol it goes like this: appr. once in a month or in two months limitlessly...never at home..never two beers "after sauna watching TV" but once in a while gotta get to the bar. Unfortunately no music picking..a bar dj or whatever chooses that and his/her choice is def not goatrance :lol:

But now comes the interesting (at least to me) part that I have been thinking over the years. I know some of the music of the scene is produced under influence of drugs and I have never been able to understand how in the world is it possible to handle software and hardware as wasted. And if not..how does the producer remember the trip experiences to transfer them into music production later. Just big question marks here. I'd like to know.. ;)

But now comes the interesting (at least to me) part that I have been thinking over the years. I know some of the music of the scene is produced under influence of drugs and I have never been able to understand how in the world is it possible to handle software and hardware as wasted. And if not..how does the producer remember the trip experiences to transfer them into music production later. Just big question marks here. I'd like to know.. ;)

I do reckon that it's close to impossible if you do psychedelics that have strong visual alteration. But with, let's say magic mushrooms, the psychedelic high is perfectly possible to achieve without a strong visual experience especially if you take a lighter trip. To put it short: some psychedelics only alter your perception about yourself or goals in music. So making the music is not harder than in a normal state, it could be the contrary.

I do reckon that it's close to impossible if you do psychedelics that have strong visual alteration. But with, let's say magic mushrooms, the psychedelic high is perfectly possible to achieve without a strong visual experience especially if you take a lighter trip. To put it short: some psychedelics only alter your perception about yourself or goals in music. So making the music is not harder than in a normal state, it could be the contrary.

Oh, thanks for contributing. This is very interesting. Looking forward to some other views of the topic :)