Roland new Aira: Tr-8 and TB-3

So have you guys heard the news? I know that not all folks here are hardware freaks, but this seems somewhat interesting to me. The Tr-8 doesn't sound that bad actually, considering it is a virtual analog. For those who haven't kept up, the Tr-8 is drum machine that is suppose to emulate the 808 and the 909. But the thing that really bothers me is the Tb-3. If you haven't guessed already, it is suppose to emulate the 303 and also contains non 303 sounds. It doesn't sound that bad also, but the problem for me is how good is it actually. I've been planning to buy the x0xb0x and use that but man, considering the price of the tb-3 and some of the features, I am tempted to consider buying one. But I really liked the x0xb0x. Argh, why does this have to happen? :)

Here's a link of some demos of the two synths: http://plus.pointblanklondon.com/first-look-roland-aira-tr-8-tb-3/

Tr-*, I played with one today. for less than half what charge her for Jomox or Machine Drum it sounds great and is fun to use especially for a live setting. Also it's very easy to use compared to both Jomox and MD straight out of the bag. I don't see much point in needing something "more", you can either use the wonderful samples this box makes or else sample them in to your DAW & edit as needed.The analog vs digital thing is about as fun as Appl vs PC. There's no right ot wrong and it comes down to personal preference.

On that not I played with the TB-3 as well & it's a toy. And expensive at that. I'm going to keep saving for a well built X0XB0X instead.

I am very keen to see what their System-1 VA synth offers though. I have been wanting some quality Roland sound in my music for years & second hand ones in Australia are a rip off!

We have a bunch of cheap (well compared to other vintage stuff) Roland gear in the US, especially the Juno series. I think the touchscreen is pretty interesting but that said, I still prefer to get the x0xb0x. I'm waiting to see if my local synth store will have a supply of some of the gear, but the tr-8 seems interesting, I know that some folks really dislike it how you can't sample, I think that's a legitimate complaint/. I currently use Drumazon for 909 sounds (and it ain't that bad either). I can't some problems with the vst, like I'm not sure whether I can export the patterns into midi, because honestly it is a pain to have program with the keyboard.

• 1 month later...

Despite it's plastic build the TR-8 sounds great. Not overly impressed with the fx & scatter but I've already got some nice reverb, delay & distortion pedals. It sounds really nice & for the price can't ask more. When it's updated with 606 & 707 I don't think there's any reason to invest in pricier anolog emulations. Already got my TR-8 on order. Might get the Akai Rythmn Wolf when it comes as well to up the drum arsenal. These two for live techno gigs will be awesome.

I wouldn't mind getting the Tr-8 if I had the money, but since I don't have tons of gear, I don't really have usage for it. Though I do plan on saving up for more gear since I really like physically tweaking everything and doing stuff live, something that isn't always possible with a computer and just one synth. But I really like my bass station 2. It is quite nice sounding and I can get a lot of sounds out of it.

I can totally understand your opinion. if I had money, I would rather get another synth than it but I wouldn't mind getting an Elektron Rhytm or whatever it's called. It looked quite nice.