UK Fullon / Pure Psytrance

Connection

Um.. Full on certainly is... And some progressive is, some isn't.

every trance track that has psychedelia in it can be claimed as either psy or goa. if not then it is not.

if i say i agree with you then i can find psychedelia in dubstep (for example) and then that is making dubstep a genre of psy (since dubstep can be claimed as trance also due to its trance -litteraly- effects)

in other words we have a huge mess , and this cause just we like to "find" genres and subgenres and subgenres-genres , which actually DOES NOT exist.

every trance track that has psychedelia in it can be claimed as either psy or goa. if not then it is not.

if i say i agree with you then i can find psychedelia in dubstep (for example) and then that is making dubstep a genre of psy (since dubstep can be claimed as trance also due to its trance -litteraly- effects)

in other words we have a huge mess , and this cause just we like to "find" genres and subgenres and subgenres-genres , which actually DOES NOT exist.

I have no idea what you are trying to say really. I think i have gleamed that you are one of the people who doesn't like the "sub genreification" of psychedelic trance from its original roots. To that I would say, fair enough. :)

Some people like categorizing stuff, it helps to easily find the stuff you like. On the other hand though it creates a separateness and homogenization within genres that wasn't there before when psy was just psy. Meh, whatcha gonna do i guess. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Im a bad boy and havent done any digging into recent music. whenever I do, I find out its just not that good or have enough cheese and I stop digging. Then I get lost in all the classic psy that is still fantastic and needs to be in my collection ;p

EDIT: WAIT! Mind Doctors Make Acid are frikkin sweet! Reminds me of the stomping 3D Vision days with so much quality. last I knew most of the music isnt released yet. check 'em out!

I saw Manmademan last weekend at Kanyini in Birmingham and they totally rocked the place.

now this I am super jealous about ;O

as for the discussion above.. Im a little confused.

Psy trance does have progressive psy as a subgenre. it is typically not my cup of tea but it does exist.

case closed. ;p

I hear what you're saying but I think you probably don't know the history of progressive and full-on psytrance.. Or maybe you're thinking that only pure "psytrance" is psytrance and genres like goa, progressive, minimal, and full-on are in fact not sub-genres but are in fact distinctly different genres? You could make that claim but that's not really accurate from a historical perspective and probably not by how most of the artists themselves would describe their music..

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's artists like X-Dream, Atmos, Krumelur and others started the progressive (often called "minimal" back then) psytrance sub-genre - pretty much everybody back then except the total haters regarded it as a new sub-genre of psytrance - which it is - it's trance, and it's totally psychedelic. Progressive psytrance just builds the sounds in a different way than typical melodic psytrance - it aims more for a hypnotic, truly "trancey" experience then the build-->climax style of psytrance - but it's still psytrance.. And honestly, I would say that some progressive psytrance is quite a bit more "psy" than is a lot of "psytrance"..

Similar situation with full-on - it's just psytrance that has the beat more right-up-front - but again, go back to how it started, which was with Psysex, and a couple others, again back in the early 2000's..

Now, what is true is that both progressive psytrance and full-on psytrance have had the tendency for artists to produce more commercial/non-psy releases, thus creating some blurring of the boundaries between genres..

Remember too that "psytrance" itself started as a spin-off of goatrance - goa was the beginning, and then psytrance and full-on psytrance and progressive psytrance all sort of grew out of it - and all pretty near the same period of time.. But all are now considered part of the same family, which is considered separate from euro or mainstream trance.

I hear what you're saying but I think you probably don't know the history of progressive and full-on psytrance.. Or maybe you're thinking that only pure "psytrance" is psytrance and genres like goa, progressive, minimal, and full-on are in fact not sub-genres but are in fact distinctly different genres? You could make that claim but that's not really accurate from a historical perspective and probably not by how most of the artists themselves would describe their music..

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's artists like X-Dream, Atmos, Krumelur and others started the progressive (often called "minimal" back then) psytrance sub-genre - pretty much everybody back then except the total haters regarded it as a new sub-genre of psytrance - which it is - it's trance, and it's totally psychedelic. Progressive psytrance just builds the sounds in a different way than typical melodic psytrance - it aims more for a hypnotic, truly "trancey" experience then the build-->climax style of psytrance - but it's still psytrance.. And honestly, I would say that some progressive psytrance is quite a bit more "psy" than is a lot of "psytrance"..

Similar situation with full-on - it's just psytrance that has the beat more right-up-front - but again, go back to how it started, which was with Psysex, and a couple others, again back in the early 2000's..

Now, what is true is that both progressive psytrance and full-on psytrance have had the tendency for artists to produce more commercial/non-psy releases, thus creating some blurring of the boundaries between genres..

Remember too that "psytrance" itself started as a spin-off of goatrance - goa was the beginning, and then psytrance and full-on psytrance and progressive psytrance all sort of grew out of it - and all pretty near the same period of time.. But all are now considered part of the same family, which is considered separate from euro or mainstream trance.

ah ha! yes! I call that period the "weird" one. industrial vibes carried over too. M.O.S. had the darker nature too. I've not heard much by them but it was too out there for me usually ;p

Im completely forgetting other names now but am very aware of the goa to psy transition and that... sound back then.

Yah that was an amazing time - the late 90's to about 2002 was just incredible - so many original, brilliant albums - genre creating, genre defining - since then there have for sure been some killer albums, but that was the evolutionary leap period of psytrance from what I can tell..

That period was also the beginning of the "psychill" genre in its modern form - "Are You Shpongled" came out in 1998, and then Ott, Shulman, Entheogenic, etc followed up with their initial LPs around 2002 or so..

• 2 weeks later...

Manmademan are the definition of UK Psy for me. 145, banging tunes with rolling basslines, melodies in there as well, but not overdone. Everything in the right balance for my ears anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/manmademan/prana-boundless-manmademan-rmx

And here's some spam

https://soundcloud.com/martianarts/manmademan-karahana-martian

https://soundcloud.com/martianarts/martian-arts-chaos-before

https://soundcloud.com/goaproductions/sets/goa8-martian-arts-grey-area

• 2 weeks later...

ugly discussion... over and over and over again..

prog is no psy!! lacks psychedelic fx!!

fullon is no psy!! no melody!!

stuff from UK is no psy!! cuz it's from UK!!

goa is no psy!! it's an indian state!

dark is no psy!! just ugly ramdom noize!

hightech is no psy!! it's intelligent, but no psy!

.. go hold your breath until you turn blue to experience some real psy

ugly discussion... over and over and over again..

prog is no psy!! lacks psychedelic fx!!

fullon is no psy!! no melody!!

stuff from UK is no psy!! cuz it's from UK!!

goa is no psy!! it's an indian state!

dark is no psy!! just ugly ramdom noize!

hightech is no psy!! it's intelligent, but no psy!

.. go hold your breath until you turn blue to experience some real psy

psy is no psy!! im over-annalyzing!! ;p

Personally, I'm...

Yah that was an amazing time - the late 90's to about 2002 was just incredible - so many original, brilliant albums - genre creating, genre defining - since then there have for sure been some killer albums, but that was the evolutionary leap period of psytrance from what I can tell..

...not to pleased about this one...

That period was also the beginning of the "psychill" genre in its modern form - "Are You Shpongled" came out in 1998, and then Ott, Shulman, Entheogenic, etc followed up with their initial LPs around 2002 or so..

...and extremely happy about this one :).

The end of century in uptempo psychedelic world was a strange time, like someone had switched off the button with most melodies and harmonies and turned up all the rest. I'd prefer less revolution and more evolution or just going parallel insted of almost wiping one sound for the sake of the other.

Nice to see nowadays there's almost everything for everyone.

And about Mr Cyborg statements, on this formum there are few people witnessing the whole movement from the beginning, so I'd be less eager in discrediting their thoughts. I hope it didn't came too boot-licky ;).

The end of century in uptempo psychedelic world was a strange time, like someone had switched off the button with most melodies and harmonies and turned up all the rest. I'd prefer less revolution and more evolution or just going parallel insted of almost wiping one sound for the sake of the other.

My thoughts exactly. For me the period 2000-2002 was the worst for psytrance.

Progressive-Too minimal

Full On-You had to wait 6 mins to listen to a melody.

Darkpsy-Just getting started. Not much to hear.

South African-Didn't existed until 2002 and even then it was really minimal.

Goa-Missing In Action

Only Suomi was good.

• Like 1