UK Fullon / Pure Psytrance

Connection

Here in Sweden (mostly in Gothenburg) UK Psy is growing a lot right now. Lots of people that has listened to progressive psytrance for a while are now converting to 145-Psytrance. Is that the case in some other parts of the world? Maybe that's a common fenomenon everywhere?

Have you discovered something that I have missed? Please share some of your favorite artists, tracks, VA's, albums, labels, DJ's and everything elese that has some connection to UK Psytrance.

Cheers!

Bogdan aka Connection

I call it the Doof style. Do people call it Pure Psytrance? lol

Anyway it's nice, but it has two big problems. No melodies at all and the bass is too funky and uninterested. However anything that will make people leave prog is good for me. :P

Well, out of pure interest, I just happened to download Nano Records' newest compilation UK Psychedelic the other day, and...well let's say there are artists on it that I respect (Tristan, Laughing Buddha, Dick Trevor) but really, I find this type of psy rather unappealing to me. No melodies, lots of noises, and the same recycled tricks we've heard a million times before. Not implying that for example goa these days wouldn't rely on tricks we've heard a million times before :)

But as said, the lack of melodies is mainly what puts me off.

I would hesitate to call it "pure psytrance" as to me it has barely any psychedelic value at alll! doh! There is just no "squidginess", no melodies, no inherent Journey!

London has beat into me that nano sound that is so prevalent here..

Same sounds over and over and....over! FM screeches over the top of basslines that are missing any funk or playfullness!

Sure there are rare tracks i will hear in a night that have some of that, maybe one or two, but the rest of the 12 hours is just the same old thing... I guess, I can't really help you anyway :/

PS: the comp "UK psychedelic" is surely the epitome of misleading advertising! :P

PPS: Ionized, extremely jealous! Enjoyyyy the suntripping!! :D

Nano releases I often find way too commercial, but there are some other excellent UK labels such as Free-Spirit Records, Liquid Records, plus Wildthings (as already mentioned), Bom Shanka music, Woo-dog etc although some of these tend a bit more towards a darker sound. (But that's fine with me!)

UK psy trance has really gone downhill, unfortunately.

Can't say I agree with that as a generalisation. UK Goa - yes (there's hardly any produced here compared to overseas,) but there's still awesome psytrance (in all its many forms) being made in the UK.

I don't find lack of melody an issue, I'm a big techno fan too, so happy enough with heavy bass & kick and no melody. That said, I don't believe you need melodies to be psychedelic - I think decent fx can be just as effective.

I saw Manmademan last weekend at Kanyini in Birmingham and they totally rocked the place.

full on and progressive have nothing to do with psy.

efforts merging with psy are 99% failure.

1% belongs to Cosma (and Cosma-like groups) who managed,with success, to combine minimalistic-proggy sounds with psy

Since Full On and Prog are Psytrance genres I don't get what you're trying to say.

Since Full On and Prog are Psytrance genres I don't get what you're trying to say.

Have been wondering on this lately... Often just see prog (zyce style etc) listed as Progressive Trance. Which I think is right. Neelix etc has nothing to do with psytrance to me...

Have been wondering on this lately... Often just see prog (zyce style etc) listed as Progressive Trance. Which I think is right. Neelix etc has nothing to do with psytrance to me...

Neelix is an unique example because even when he first started he was pure progressive trance and not progressive psy. In my opinion he was an "outsider" that labels wanted to pass as the new hot name in the scene. Another example was D-Nox & Beckers, an act totally outside of the Psy family that suddenly entered our scene. Most prog artists though started as progressive psytrance like Son Kite or Ticon.

What I mean is both Full On and Prog started as psytrance subgenres. Just because some artists have gone to the extreme side and became too commercial doesn't affect the fact that Full On and Prog psy are Psytrance genres. When I see people saying that Full On is not Psytrance is like saying that Full On got created independently from Psytrance which is wrong.

I don't wanna start another genre wars, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Can't say I agree with that as a generalisation. UK Goa - yes (there's hardly any produced here compared to overseas,) but there's still awesome psytrance (in all its many forms) being made in the UK.

I don't find lack of melody an issue, I'm a big techno fan too, so happy enough with heavy bass & kick and no melody. That said, I don't believe you need melodies to be psychedelic - I think decent fx can be just as effective.

I saw Manmademan last weekend at Kanyini in Birmingham and they totally rocked the place.

I am a big techo fan as well. And the UK psy trance is really poor right now. Really insipid. Its not just the lack of melodies, its the lack of soul or talent in much of the stuff. Better days will come I hope.

says who?

i am not "trying" to say anything.

i am just saying the obvious, that they ARE NOT genres of psy.

"baptise" them as you want though, call them even rock, the truth cannot be changed :-P

where is the poll? it is just a topic with barely 10 replies lol (about the second urL)

about the first ima check it now

and yeah! since we have the huge amount oF 18 PEOPLE claiming that full on and prog is subgenre sure! and i thought i was about to see hundrends of people.. not just some "people" (genuine single vote on each subject? probably 1 person could double or triple vote easily...)

cmon i think you are an adult...