9. From Other Planet

10. Return From The Different Dimension

Info:

Label: Suntrip Records

Cat. No. SUNCDLE03

Released: 22 Nov 2013

Samples and purchase (digital & CD): http://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/

Review:

I have to admit I'm slightly puzzled with Suntrip's policy regarding the so called 'limited edition' CDs. I believe in one of his posts Joske explained that the thinking behind it is to release - in smaller quantities - more risky projects, where expected sales might not be enough to justify the usual 1k batch. And I could fully understand this for InnerSpace's "InnerSpace", which I didn't liked personally and that was released to mixed reviews; or for D5 "TransStellar" which contained a lot of material already available elsewhere.

So what does it have to do with Cosmic Dimension's "In A Special Kind of Space"? Well, it was released as Limited Edition, hence fewer copies are available and it's only distributed via Suntrip's web-shop and bandcamp page, which is a damn shame because it greatly reduces the likelihood of this album being successful. And it bloody deserves to be recognised!

Cosmic Dimension ar two guys from Macedonia: Antonio Simonovski & Denis Bogdanovski, both born in 1992 (only 22 years old now!!!) and - believe it or not - their only official release before that album was on Suntrip's VA "Blacklight Moments".

In terms of sound, one could argue that this is a typical neo-goa release, with generic 'sunshin-y' atmosphere, floating melodies, fullon-ish bassline, spiralling acid lines, straight 4/4 beat, etc. - and I'd have to agree! We've all heard this sound on numerous Suntrip compilations and we can easily draw parallels and obvious influences to the works of Ra, Afgin, Antares, Mindsphere or Artifact303. The issue here is though, that - for a newcomer - this is brilliantly great album! It already sounds very mature, well thought-through, is skilfully arranged and executed. A lot of the tracks here have this 'drive' that will elevate your blood pressure, pushing the music forward and catapulting the listener to the higher level – this is a very unique skill, because a lot of current neo-goa is ‘flat’ to me, i.e. the waves of sound change, but they don’t really add up and complement each other, they don’t ‘synergise’ to create something greater than the simple sum of the elements. Cosmic Dimension on the other hand seems to have mastered this ability, because nearly every track does this – the main melodies, background noises and sound effects cumulate to create a peak, a wall-of-sound that is further slowly released via skilful manipulation of filters, resonance and well placed effects, punctuated by simple yet clever breaks and transitions. It also is flawless musically, which is not too common in our genre – e.g. Filteria in spite of all his achievements and fully deserved praise can still sometimes pull a cringe-worthy melody, that comes out of nowhere and doesn’t make any sense; this is not the case here, where melodies are usually multi-dimensional, i.e. constructed from 2 to 4 layers that together create long passages, blurring the line between a typical 16/32-bars loop-based goa-trance and more free-form, almost improvised sonic wizardy of Crossing Mind. They also don't shy away from using clean and geted string sweeps, which greatly adds to the overall atmosphere and variety of the music.

My current favourites – though the list changes per every listen – include:

"Time Beyond Universe" (that climax at 5:00 mark!!!),

"Acid From Above" (yeah, the acid + emerging echoing melody),

“Telekinetic Mind" (the lead melody at 6:00 is crazy), and

"From Other Planet" (awesome, multi-layered melodies)

It's not up to the level of Artifact303, Portamento or Crossing Mind yet, because those guys know how to write music AND are able to deliver their ideas in a variety of ways, while Cosmic Dimension is much more homogeneous in their sound, but I say give them time. As of now, they're IMO among the top-5 of new-school goa newcomers.

Therefore my only complaints – and I’m being really nit-picky here – is that it can sometimes be too monotonous, i.e. you have 9 tracks that individually are superb, but put side by side can be a bit too much. Other thing is that the production is not up to the standard of recent E-Mantra or Filteria, in a sense it’s not as crystal clear and can get slightly muddled sometimes. It’s not bad in any sense, just not the best that it could have been J

So, there you have it - go buy it now, before the limited stock runs out.

4/5 *

* a must have within its sub-genre (new-school goa), worth picking up for fans of goa/psy trance in general

Wow, 50+ views and not a single comment?

That sort of validates my concern about Limited Edition print contributing to general low awareness of the release :(

Hi mate,

Not sure why not many replies, I know I meant to but wanted to wait until I had time to write a proper review.

In the meantime, I kiiiiiind of agree with you, to an extent.

For me this is rather nice overall, but its just missing that "special something", a unique characteristic that would make me keep listening.

I found a lot of the sounds similar throughout and the melodies nice but not memorable.

I think these guys probably have a bright future once they have more production time under their belt, and ill be looking out for their next releases :)

For me this is rather nice overall, but its just missing that "special something", a unique characteristic that would make me keep listening.

I found a lot of the sounds similar throughout and the melodies nice but not memorable.

I think these guys probably have a bright future once they have more production time under their belt, and ill be looking out for their next releases :)

Fully agree with that - it's probably not up to the level of Artifact303, Portamento or Crossing Mind just yet, but easily in the top 5 newcommers. I've edited the review accordingly, though #3 at 5:00 still gives me goosebumps :)

To be honest - without this review I wouldn't be even aware of this release's existence...

Hence my rant / confusion about limited edition Suntrip's releases...

Hmm not sure on that side of it. I know Suntrip were promoting it pretty heavy around release, and Joske is a big fan of these guys. Had a fair bit of hype here at the least.

But then again I follow most new goa releases, not sure on general buying publics view.

Perhaps also the timing of release was a factor, with Filteria etc around the same time it maybe overlooked by some?

I found the sound really generic.. a couple good tracks but trying to listen to more than 2 in a row bores me to tears, the melodies are so uninspiring. It's good production but that's about it for me. Reminds me of Liquid Flow to be honest. I also don't think it being LE makes any difference.

I believe strongly in these 2 young guys.

The reason why this was a limited release is because we KNOW they will still grow in the future, but we thought it was good enough to release already... :) This kind of albums will happen more with the Limited Releases. New artists, growing their way to the top! :) Their next album will normally be a "real/not limited" release :) Anyway, now people are already used to their powerfull sound :) they still have some room to grow for sure, but if you hear their remix of Ra on the Sakura mix, things are clear, they will be big artists one day imo :)
My favourites 2, 4 and 6 :)

That is a really good move, and a positive thing both for the artists, label and the consumer.

Better to release, albeit a "limited" release and get their music out to people, than not at all! I think in this digital climate it's quite a mature and smart decision, that can hopefully help more future goa artists to flourish.

Or people just don't care/wanna bother. I made a review of Goasia's 2nd and it barely got any comments for a long time and that was a major release no doubt.

Two pages is barely nothing and even I replied there proposing a reason for why there's so few reviews:

Well, maybe because this album is really hard to describe / categorise?

Like you said, there's hardly anything sounding similar in terms of style - I'd say it is a kind of folk-goa or ethnic-goa kind of vibe, which sometimes make it great, very emotional and fun to listen, almost 'live' in the way it is recorded; but sometimes gets on my nerves very quickly, just because of that. Might be just me, but that is exactly why I'm in two minds about it - sometimes I love it, sometimes I can't stand it, hence I don't have definitive enough a opinion to put it in a review smile.gif

One thing's sure though - it's really worth giving it a try and buying even if just for the awesome cover.

:)

Well, apparently it does since no one seems to have heard it...

You are right, it DOES make a difference... It is less spreaded and only available for people who read facebook/twitter or psynews or our site. And that's only a part of the goa community of course. Ah well... The idea is still to promote artists with their first steps to fame :) Next time, i'm sure they will be distributed like a normal release, with even better music ;)

I think newcomers should start with digital EPs, 3-4 really strong tracks, rather than full albums. Given the overall volume of new releases, few people have the time or patience to listen to an entire 10 track album of "good but not great" music from relative unknowns. A more selective approach would benefit producers by highlighting their best work.

I think newcomers should start with digital EPs, 3-4 really strong tracks, rather than full albums. Given the overall volume of new releases, few people have the time or patience to listen to an entire 10 track album of "good but not great" music from relative unknowns. A more selective approach would benefit producers by highlighting their best work.

Well, that's exactly what we are doing at Suntrip, we get hundreds of promo's a year, and these tracks were standouts! They are better as 95% of the stuff you can hear/download here and there! By writing they still have to grow, I mean they can become top 1%! But I am happy about this album, stay 100% behind it and don't think this is "good but not great". This is already super good, and will probably become the best in the future!

• 4 weeks later...

Is this Album generic ? Totally disagree here !

This album is the best Neo Goa Trance Album for me, I just cant live without listening to every single tracks on this one nearly everyday,

All the melodies are beautiful and extremely unique like Liquid Flow's stuff, and I really can not wait to listen 2nd Album of Cosmic Dimension guys (well they are just 22)

All of them are my fav but those are insane :

Time Beyond The Universe

Parallel Universe

From Other Palent

I respect their music and hope they dont give up this Cosmic Goa style

• 3 weeks later...
As of now, they're IMO among the top-5 of new-school goa newcomers.

Yeah, they're delivering for sure. BTW, nice review antic :), although one note:

believe it or not - their only official release before that album was on Suntrip's VA "Blacklight Moments".

Here is info about EP from last July called Voyage In The Universe.

I know it's sacrilege, but I prefer this album to latest ones from E-Mantra or Filteria. In A Special Kind of Space will almost surely be in my uptempo top ten for 2013. It's not over the top (in my book), plus has brilliant moments all over. I don't see fillers here, it's even and sometimes this is more important than having 3 glorious tunes, 3 mediorce and 3 bastards.

If this would be released 5-6 years ago everyone would be praising Cosmic Dimension, I understand some of us are like kids in a candystore nowadays, so it's tough to impress, but in my case - they succeeded. 8-8,5/10.

I found the sound really generic.. a couple good tracks but trying to listen to more than 2 in a row bores me to tears, the melodies are so uninspiring. It's good production but that's about it for me. Reminds me of Liquid Flow to be honest. I also don't think it being LE makes any difference.

Liquid Flow? Hmm, I would have to disagree with you. I listened to his album several days ago and now that I've finally read this comment, I would say that they may have the same general high pitch sounds and stuff like that, I think that Liquid Flow did a better job with the melodies and such. With Liquid Flow, I can hear each individual melody and in general it his songs sound good. But with Cosmic Dimension, while they have interesting stuff my biggest concern with them is the lack of clarity, how everything sort of mixes together and doesn't have each part stand out too well. That's one advice I would have for them, that is that while their style is nice, that they should focus more on making each individual part unique and being able to tell what's going on easily.

• 1 month later...

I think these guys probably have a bright future once they have more production time under their belt, and ill be looking out for their next release

Agreed 100%. Cosmic Dimension has better tracks on "Future Architecture 2" and "Ten Spins Around The Sun". Anyway, I also believe they are going to unleash a classic within the next few years once they have all the elements in the proper places.

They certainly have elements for greater, but I was talking with someone about this and it really came up like this, most Cosmic Dimension tracks sound like fillers for DJ sets. There are no memorable melodies or hooks, the track structures sound like they follow a specific formula and that's why it really comes off as boring to me, however it's certainly very well produced filler. I'm sure if they grew a little more as musicians, added new twists, groovier less predictable structure and had better, more memorable and catchy melodies, then it could be something very noteworthy.