How the mighty have fallen. Pick the worst fall.

Ormion

don't forget the ones that have gone on to be mastering geniuses, 2 come to mind, one active producer and one now full time sound nerd!

Tim Schuldt and ???

To be fair Tim's 2004 album Mechanical Age was totally awesome.

hallucinogen .... spongle 5

Couldn't agree more. The masterpieces of Twisted and Lone Deranger, screaming, twisted psychedelia, to the flowery world music of Raja Ram's incessant and childish flute accompanied by every cheesy hippie stereotype aesthetic they can tack on.

I wouldn't actually say IM because I never thought they were any good haha!

Pleidians though for sure, I actually liked the minimal Etnica stuff, tech trancey hypnotica, but the Pleidians' full-on is just upsetting.

I had the same feelings about Juno Reactor, but their newest album is pretty good and really returns more to their old style.

That seems to be the consensus. Personally, I thought that Golden Sun was the least trancy sounding Juno album. Shango had Nitrogen, Labyrinth had Conquistador and Mutant Message, even Gods and Monsters had some trancy moments. Golden Sun sounded like pure synth pop without any trance.

Sometimes 'mighty have fallen' is just an artist trying to make sth different than the genre he got well known/famous of. I got bunch of producers I miss because of their early works which suited me completely and than they've tried to add/change their music and I got lost during the journey. More than few times I thought that I wouldn't mind listening to 'Twisted VII' or 'Cosmology VI' ;).

Not 'crappy' by any means, but the group that moved the furthest away from my taste

I somehow missed this post, my thoughts from above in one sentence :).

Having written that my vote goes to IM and EU, but if by 'mighty' we count newer producers I'm starting to worry that Talpa's music won't be accompanying me in the future. It's not fall, more like longing for this crazy psytrance feeling, well - nobody likes to sit in one place the whole time, right ;) ?

Ten years. As a time span that's like...from 1993 to 2003.

OT: It's strange how (to me of course) '93-'03 seems like an entire century of music comparing to '03-'13 period in electronic music. Sometimes I can't differ the tunes from an early millenium than the yesterday ones.

By the way, have you ever thought about how e.g. Filteria has been doing fairly consistent work for ten years now? Ten years. As a time span that's like...from 1993 to 2003. From early proto-goa through the heyday in its entirety and all the way to full-on galore. The original goa scene burned bright and fast. I think you can find much more stable careers from what we've been calling neogoa for over a decade now. (Well, maybe full-on too but is it possible to fall from anywhere there?)

Yes, this has totally occurred to me... the 1990s were a crazy, tumultuous time, but the Internet Age somehow managed to facilitate islands of stability where some of the old styles that were only briefly touched upon could be explored in greater depth...

Yes, this has totally occurred to me... the 1990s were a crazy, tumultuous time, but the Internet Age somehow managed to facilitate islands of stability where some of the old styles that were only briefly touched upon could be explored in greater depth...

I would say that Filteria has gotten significantly better over the ten years!

don't forget the ones that have gone on to be mastering geniuses, 2 come to mind, one active producer and one now full time sound nerd!

I just got Toi Doi's Technologic, and was surprised to see that it was mastered by Lior Perlmutter. I don't know if he's done any other mastering, though.

oooh that was rather boring. I kept skipping through the album to find something exciting and mostly found just a bassline. I hate it when psy just has that inbetween the build-ups. newer crap full-on. one reason Im such an advocate for classic full-on. it was bouncing all over ;D

Better question, what act hasn't gone downhill?

Hedonix - is the new Hallucinogen..

Hux Flux - the newer stuff he hasn't released yet is killer - check it on soundcloud - Dennis has made over a dozen new tracks and is touring all over - wish he would put them on an album..

Beat Bizarre - Keeps getting better and better - there is no more stylish and distinct progressive trance artist in the world right now if you ask me - I can tell BB track a mile away and they're all so fresh sounding..

Solar Fields - always brilliant, be it downtempo or trance..

Ubar Tmar - Doesn't seem to care about the trends, that's for sure..

--

As far as going downhill:

How about Koxbox? Their last album was just Frank-E, and it's pretty solid technically and certainly not sell-out cheese - but it for sure followed the full-on trend and wasn't really remarkable - certainly not like the 2 albums prior which were total classics (Dragon Tales and The Great Unknown)

Logic Bomb perhaps? Although, in my opinion, Logic Bomb has always sort of been the bastard child of Hux Flux - solid psychedelic trance but missing the mindblowing aspect of Hux Flux..

Hux Flux - the newer stuff he hasn't released yet is killer - check it on soundcloud - Dennis has made over a dozen new tracks and is touring all over - wish he would put them on an album..

Wow, thanks for pointing me in this direction. I never enjoyed the oldschool goa stuff of Hux Flux, but thought that his Soundcloud page was great - 'How the mighty have risen' ... at least for me!

Glad you enjoyed! I think "Tarantula" is such a stormer - I could see that one destroying a mainstream club dancefloor even though it's uber psychedelic as well.. I heard a better mix of it than the one on the soundcloud page though - maybe on his facebook page.. Most of his tracks on Soundcloud are works in progress - he keeps changing them..