Jens Walderbeck and some unpopular opinions

Blair Thaumic

Just for the hell of it ;)

I think Jens Walderbeck is a bit of a genius. No, really.

Juno Reactor wouldn't have been the same without him... if you look at his tracks on the Transmissions album (and 'Rotorblade') it's clear that he provided a solid rhythmic/acid foundation for Watkins to work his string and melody magic.

(I feel that, absent Jens and the other collaborators from a techno background (Maguire, Jackson, Stef), Juno's post-nineties work has never quite been able to get off the ground. The cinematic ideas are there, but it doesn't groove hard, and without a hard groove, no yin-yang quality.)

His tracks on Dragonfly and Spirit Zone pioneered the Amsterdam sound IMHO... percussive, with lots of knob twiddling, atmosphere and space between the notes, but not 'minimal' if that makes sense. And Cwithe... how many good things can I say about Cwithe? The Cwithe album has so many strange melodies, weird arrangements, and just an overall sense of /fun/ that is missing from so much goa trance. It's almost magical. From my perspective, there's a similar interplay between Jens (groove) and Tony (ambience) as there was between him and Ben Watkins. I also think they VASTLY improved on the Koxbox track they remixed.

I love the track Acid Lab - Happily Damaged too, and when I'm less cheap and lazy I'll see about getting the Acid Lab album, which by all accounts is an unofficial follow up to Cwithe.

Now for the REALLY unpopular part ;) It baffles me that Siblant and Metal Spark receive so much praise when Cwithe and Acid Lab are routinely shafted and ignored. For me, Metal Spark (other than one or two tracks) = average boring blah. I'm open to having my mind changed, I just truly don't get it about this artist. They're similar to Cwithe in a way but just lack the magic.

Quirk - Machina Electrica And Fornax Chemica is another 'kind of' similar effort to Cwithe IMHO but never put the chills up my spine in the same way. I know a lot of people love it, though.

Is it weird to get SO worked up about an obscure psy artist? Indeed it is. But I gotta be me. Have at it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

His tracks on Dragonfly and Spirit Zone pioneered the Amsterdam sound IMHO... percussive, with lots of knob twiddling, atmosphere and space between the notes, but not 'minimal' if that makes sense. And Cwithe... how many good things can I say about Cwithe? The Cwithe album has so many strange melodies, weird arrangements, and just an overall sense of /fun/ that is missing from so much goa trance. It's almost magical. From my perspective, there's a similar interplay between Jens (groove) and Tony (ambience) as there was between him and Ben Watkins. I also think they VASTLY improved on the Koxbox track they remixed.

I love the track Acid Lab - Happily Damaged too, and when I'm less cheap and lazy I'll see about getting the Acid Lab album, which by all accounts is an unofficial follow up to Cwithe.

Now for the REALLY unpopular part ;) It baffles me that Siblant and Metal Spark receive so much praise when Cwithe and Acid Lab are routinely shafted and ignored. For me, Metal Spark (other than one or two tracks) = average boring blah. I'm open to having my mind changed, I just truly don't get it about this artist. They're similar to Cwithe in a way but just lack the magic.

You know I think you're the only other person who enjoys Cwithe that i've seen make a comment. I also think Cwithe put out some very uniquely atmospheric material that is some of the tranciest stuff out there. Tellus-D is my favourite Cwithe track, it's so otherworldly, nothing like it, maybe that's why it gets slated! Especially in the reviews section of this forum. I think some people mistakesubtelty for boredom when really it's the essence of really hypnotic trance..