most scary movie you have ever watched?

kartoonz

Arachnophobia. Saw it something like 20 years ago and thanks to that, spiders still completely freak me out.

Maybe I should try to watch it some day for therapeutic shock value, but I doubt I can do it :(

The Blair Witch Project

The Blair Witch Project

Strange, I remember seeing it when it came out and I didn't find it scary at all...

ringu is the japanese version of "the Ring"... yeah is a good movie... never heard of Inland empire???

IMO the american Ring is vastly inferior to the Japanese one. I'll say that the famous Sadako scene in Ringu is the scariest scene I've seen.

Inland Empire is not a horror movie per se, but it has probably the creepiest atmopshere. Lynch is the master of unsettling.

Strange, I remember seeing it when it came out and I didn't find it scary at all...

I think hidden footage movies are love or hate. I guess you have to watch them under certain circumstances, completelly alone, in pure darkness and let yourself loose like listening to an ambient track. Paranormal Activity is another favourite. Too bad Hollywood butchered it with these endless sequels.

Yes I watched the ring and was it was not all that scary... I must say Japanese make quality horror movie...and ofcourse how could I miss shutter...was also a rip off of an Japanese movie I guess...although I did find the Hollywood remake spooky

Out of curiosity, how much had you heard about it when you saw it? Seems to me that people who saw it after the hype spread didn't find it very scary. In my case I barely knew anything about it, I saw it the night before it went nation-wide in the U.S. (I worked at a movie theater), and after I watched it I walked home through deserted night streets at about 4am.

• 1 month later...

These were memorable for me (some was very scary at first sight->

American Gothic (!!!) 1988

Demons (Lamberto Bava) 1985

The Tenant 1976

Dark Water 2002 (Japan version)

Happy Birthday to Me 1981

Pet Sematary 1989

Stage Fright\Deliria (1987

In the Mouth of Madness

The memorable ones are for me 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose', 'Shutter' and bunch of other asian movies like 'Ringu', 'Ju-On' or 'Gin gwai'. I wish I could watch old movies without XXI century glasses on, this would increase the number of great (instead of great for its time) films.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Martyr's (French)

Inside (French)

The Evil Dead (original)

The Amityville Horror (original)

The Exercise

The Ring (American Version)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Original)

Hellraiser

The Orphanage