3. Interstellar Mutation

4. Juddervision

5. Dimension Expansion

6. Narcosynthesis

7. Cybermat

8. Karmenbozia

I had a dream last night.

5MGOxzL.jpg

Nah, cooler. I was at Pink's (yes that one) wedding trying to console her because her family didn't approve of who she was marrying. I wasn't trying to score (not my type) just trying to be nice. For some reason it was in India cause that's the type of sh*t rich white people do. And somehow I managed to hike there from the Appalachian Trail. In Virginia.

yzF7arf.gif

I know, the trail doesn't even have India as a destination! So anyway, the wedding is over and we have to climb down sheer cliffs to board an elephant that will take us to the ground. My kids are there and just like real life they're fast so I don't see them get on the elephant but I'm on it and we begin to descend. My stomach drops like it would on a roller coaster and he slams into Earth and we disembark. Onto another elephant that will take us to the train home. And I'm sitting next to the mother of an acquaintance from high school who just so happens to be from Goa, India. She tells me that her son wished that we were better friends and that he could play the synthesizers like I could. And in her best New Dehli English said,

"That boy always had a love of goa trance."

ZuV1lQ4.gif

No sh*t. No f*cking way. With that last statement I knew I had to review this album. I haven't had a drink or smoked weed in over a decade and I can only attribute the vivid presentation of this dream to one thing...

Meatloaf. That's right, a loaf of meat. To answer your question I will be making the same meatloaf for dinner tonight, I simply must find out if Pink goes through with her nuptials not to mention getting another ride on that elephant. Go figure some people need weed or LSD to open the door to another dimension, mine is available at Wal-Mart for $1.79 a pound.

These tunes were written by Mark Dressler & Darren Beale between 1994 and 1996, some of the first tracks they ever recorded. The material was rediscovered when going through some old DAT tapes. Like with the Lucid Flux release there was a regular copy and a limited edition available. They even did posters and T-shirts.

Rotating Rama is a thumping bit of psychedelic goa trance right out of the gate. Thumping being the operative word. It's very repetitive (and you'll find this throughout the album), but in a hypnotic way. It gathers you up in an old school goa vortex for over 11 minutes. Non Terrestrial Intelligence is a tale of two halves. The first half was ok, but the 2nd is where the lead went nuts and things took off.

Sufficiently warmed up? Because from here to the last track it's it's an old school paddling. The bass hums in Interstellar Mutation as the synths snap crackle and pop in a nasty groove. And Juddervision is...well, it's kinda...

EIn2OQl.jpg

Whew! Like that. Dimension Expansion is another bass driven monster with an absolute squealing lead. Narcosynthesis has a funky wobble and had a darkness that reminded me of Syb Unity Nettwerk. So that's a huge thumbs up. Monster track. Cybermat continues the assault with perhaps the most layered and aggressive track. Forceful. The only track that didn't floor me was Karmenbozia, but not a whole lot can keep up with the last several tracks. I was singing the name of the track for a bit though.

Without question this is the best release from Anjuna Records. What a treat to get these tracks. This project has always been on the periphery of goa trance for me, but these tracks are extremely good. It's a powerful trip through deep space with screeching leads, bubbly bass, and plenty of darkness. Highly recommended.

All it needed was a little meatloaf.

Anjuna Records

Mdk

• 1 month later...
Guest antic

Yeah, I love it! :wub:

The sound is so raw, so primal, even bare-bones at times, but yet it doesn't feel old like some of the CDs released at that time. It's got this tribal, very techno-like attitude, very clean and sharp sounds but at the same time it's varied enough to not be boring - some tracks are more gentle, more melodic with almost typical psy/goa-like arrangements and big climax; while others lean towards relentlessly banging, dark and trancey styles a'la stuff released on Psychic Deli or TIP Records. What you notice at first is that the music is kind of minimalist, very pure, with simple progressions and not a lot of fancy transitions or effects - but then, the more you listen, the more you discover that it's actually the small things that make all the difference: the sounds constantly shift, modulate, develop; the effects are there but are so delicate and cleverly applied, that they create a sound of their own.

Prime example would be "Non-terrestrial Intelligence", where cleverly applied, dynamic reverbs and echoes transform the otherwise typical acid line into haunting, unsettling and almost spooky melody in the vein of "Alien Nation" by CoP.

There's many more "small" things like that, though:

- the techno bassline and strings in "Rotating Rama",

- hammer-heavy kick and highly resonant main lead in "Interstellar Mutation",

- seizure-inducing urgency of the bassline in "Juddervision",

- dark, sci-fi atmosphere and crazy acid-line of "Dimension Expansion",

- wobbly rhythmic foundation and Prana's "Primal Orbit"-like climax in "Narcosynthesis",

- deep, dense and mysterious acid layering of "Cybermat",

- tribal, vocals driven sound of "Karmenbozia".

Do yourself a favor and get this one immediately.

5/5

• 2 years later...

Yeah, I love it! :wub:

The sound is so raw, so primal, even bare-bones at times, but yet it doesn't feel old like some of the CDs released at that time. It's got this tribal, very techno-like attitude, very clean and sharp sounds but at the same time it's varied enough to not be boring - some tracks are more gentle, more melodic with almost typical psy/goa-like arrangements and big climax; while others lean towards relentlessly banging, dark and trancey styles a'la stuff released on Psychic Deli or TIP Records. What you notice at first is that the music is kind of minimalist, very pure, with simple progressions and not a lot of fancy transitions or effects - but then, the more you listen, the more you discover that it's actually the small things that make all the difference: the sounds constantly shift, modulate, develop; the effects are there but are so delicate and cleverly applied, that they create a sound of their own.

Prime example would be "Non-terrestrial Intelligence", where cleverly applied, dynamic reverbs and echoes transform the otherwise typical acid line into haunting, unsettling and almost spooky melody in the vein of "Alien Nation" by CoP.

There's many more "small" things like that, though:

- the techno bassline and strings in "Rotating Rama",

- hammer-heavy kick and highly resonant main lead in "Interstellar Mutation",

- seizure-inducing urgency of the bassline in "Juddervision",

- dark, sci-fi atmosphere and crazy acid-line of "Dimension Expansion",

- wobbly rhythmic foundation and Prana's "Primal Orbit"-like climax in "Narcosynthesis",

- deep, dense and mysterious acid layering of "Cybermat",

- tribal, vocals driven sound of "Karmenbozia".

Do yourself a favor and get this one immediately.

5/5

Everything he said!

When this album grabs a tempo it doesnt let go! No climaxes, maybe a few breaks. In some moments it reminded me of "Trippy Future Garden." Very rich hypnotic sounds and steady basslines that make this more of a marathon journey instead of a sprint.

Im considering buying this!

Anjuna Records where art thou? Id like to see more releases from these guys! :)

• 3 years later...

Nervasystem - Time Travel

Rotating Rama
Non Terrestial Intelligence
Interstellar Mutation
Juddervision
Dimension Expansion
Narcosynthesis
Cybermat
Karmenbozia

Rotating Rama I instantly expect Wagner’s Rise Of The Valkyries to start during this intro. Although I simply do not know why. But we don’t need that to giddy up into battle, Nervasystems bass line and kicks do the job just fine. What else can I say? The track spirals into a psychedelic wedding void of prenuptials but with champagne towers of funk.

Non Terrestial Intelligence a fun take on a common theme. Forget the terristials and their otherworldly smarts, what about the non terrestrials huh? Well. A foresty kind of intro turns into a track that lives in the darkness. The aural embodiment of LSD shivers, slide down this track into your brain as a team of different layers swell toward you like they are on a try-out for the Schlabbaduerst rekkords cheerleader squad.

Interstellar Mutation back with the extra terrestrials we find ourselves in the beep booping depths of space, is anybody out there? Well Nervasystem is and at the 1:55 mark he reminds you of that, can you spell ‘rumbelling baslines’ my friends? Leads of electrical energy fire themselves straight at you like a game of laser tag with teenagers and too much frozen Fanta. But oh no, don’t think that is meant as a bad thing. How could it be when the reverse bass is that doped up and heavy.

Juddervision I might’ve had Juddervision before. Hard to know when you don’t know what the gosh danged fuck Juddervision is. Great song though, hard, fast & aggressive, the trifecta. Another perfect fit for Schlabbaduerst rekkords Volume 13. A simple lead quickly develops into psychedelic bliss. Why does everything this guy do sound so damn good? The main melody is so metallic and funkedlically spinny. Awesome stuff.

Dimension Expansion Nervasystem could just draw his intro’s out to a full track length and I wouldn’t notice until it ended. Well he aint gonna do that, instead he's going to turn Dimension Expansion into a mansion owned by Deedrension Emery filled with leads that have emancipation and enhancing backwords dancing kept away from Emery’s enemy Ketrahension Newery and her severely severed sense lacking didactic pension.

Narcosynthesis comes in nice and hard with another favourite melody/lead of the album. Raw with a drizzle of Greek styled balsamic drizzle Narcosynthesis really hits home. It simply seems to never end which is completely wonderful and the ideal feeling from an amped track that is this good.

Cybermat Smooth galvanized steel ambiences in the background of another foreboding intro, a bassline comes in and its go time. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because this song has the word mat in it that this song is going to be taken on the ground getting stepped on. Simply not the case and btw stop thinking like that in general its unhelpful and unhealthy you sicko.

Karmenbozia I really did assume that this word was made up and could not have ever told you that I thought there was going to be a ‘Karmenbozia’ sample. Good and rare find as far as I am concerned. Nervasystem gives this track a more progressive edge and plays around with positioning of sounds rather than creating a wacked out wil’n banger. From the perspective of this guy I suppose it is a downtempo track. But beware, he still manages to trip you out towards the end.

Quite the album and Quite the artist. As far as my preference for dark psytrance/goa/whatever-we-call-it goes this is probably at the top of my list of most preferred.

Truly a must have for any collector and appreciator of this fine musical sub culture.

https://anjunarecords.bandcamp.com/album/nervasystem-time-travel