HkVlHkh.jpg

Artist: Phobium

Title: Oort Cloud

Label: Omnitropic

Date: September, 2013

1 - The Cloud At A Distance
2 - Drifting Past Comets (105 BPM)
3 - Crossing The Heliopause (145 BPM)
4 - Into The Interstellar Medium (99 BPM)
5 - Towards Proxima Centauri (101 BPM)
6 - Distant Sol

eLEfCY4.jpg

Gimme a minute, I'll get there.
I'm not smart enough to get into the details of what an Oort cloud is, but think space, chunks of icy matter, and comets. Got that? Then you are now floating untethered through the cold blackness of deep space. Slow drifting ambient somewhat reminiscent of Kitaro if he joined NASA. Phobium is Henning Ottesen from Norway and he presents the story of the first manned mission to travel through this massive cloud surrounding our solar system. The ambient sounds like what you would expect the soundtrack to the far reaches of space would sound like. Take an arpeggio, surround with pads, repeat. At 17 minutes it felt like it took forever to cross the Heliopause. My mind wandered.
What am I going to make for dinner? Is John Travolta really gay? How come cows don't tip over when they're on a steep hill? Can I just microwave 3 day old coffee or should I stop being a lazy f*ck and just brew another pot?
I poke fun, but he's got talent no question. Into the Interstellar medium is a vivid cross section of a slow motion tumble amongst the stars where you should be freaking out, but it's so calm and serene relaxation is the only response. Towards Proxima Centauri speeds things up as he rediscovers his software has a beat function. This is deep trance where time is rendered meaningless as I try to take it all in. This could be what the outcome would sound like if you locked Tangerine Dream and Vangelis and they spent all their time comparing dick sizes.
Distant Sol is an isolating drone that will help you appreciate just how vast space is. So vivid and simple it moves unbelievably slowly like an old lady in the left lane. So yeah slow as f*ck but deliciously ominous. The crew of the Event Horizon has been slaughtered and the freighter is left to drift into deep space for eternity. Alone, so alone.
Three tracks over 13 minutes of a very repetitive style is a lot to take. F*ck you Phobium for making me think about gay John Travolta drinking 3 day old coffee. But thank you Phobium for presenting that scary as hell last track.

Mdk

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/9/2019 at 6:00 PM, Starkraver said:

Getting better day by day :)

such a joy to listen to. Prints such beautiful memories everytime I listen to this.

@Phobium - can’t thank you enough for this. :)

The pleasure is all mine :)

• Like 1