The Evolution of Styles

Padmapani

while browsing through the reviews section, especially the review for astrix - eye to eye, i wondered fullon could be categorised into distinct styles by year.

in a way analogous to how goa evolved from proto-goa that separated from ebm and later trance into goa (in its purest form) starting in 1995 and culminating 1997, then splitting up into more sinister stuff (think tarsis - atomic children rmx) beginning in 1998 and trancier melodic stuff (d5 - second phase, early yahel) beginning in 1999/2000 (post-goa? planting the seeds for fullon and newschool) before it was supplanted by minimal psy, progressive and eventually fullon, can fullon be looked at in similar fashion?

in this case we would start with "proto-fullon" in 2001 (ignoring the few earlier releases, one album doesn't make it distinctive style yet?) with something like this...

...arrive at (proper) fullon in 2002/2003 with tracks like this one...

...this lasts until 2006/2007 when "post-fullon" emerges as fullon really begins to run out of steam, leaving us with...

...until we arrive at "full-crap" (for a lack of a better expression; post-post-fullon sounds equally crappy ;) ) in 2011/2012 with tracks like these (can we really still call this fullon? i don't really see any similarities with how we started out) :

this is obviously highly influenced by my perception of the music at parties and therefore also by what's played there. and of course there are always artists who don't conform to the most popular style at the moment (for instance logic bomb's and cosmosis' latest albums).

in case you are wondering, i left out the night fullon (á la CPU) - twilight - darkpsy branch to keep things simple and due to lack of knowledge about twilight/darkpsy.

does anyone agree? have you also noticed a switch in style at those times?

why did these changes come about - were there influential albums that set the style (i can think of astrix - eye to eye and alien project - aztechno dream for "proper" fullon, but hte others?)? or does it rather coincide with the release of new vengeance sample cds? ;)

have you noticed similar turning points in progressive/darkpsy/...? having partied mostly to fullon i don't think i'm knowledgable enough to judge these sub-genres.

actually i suspect we have seen a similar thing with goa around 2009/2010 when newschool goa really developed a distinctive sound rather than being a continution of melodic "2000-post-goa". for this reason i'd also rather confusingly call some of the not re-released stuff from anjuna or zion604 new oldschool goa rather than newschool goa ;)

I was thinking long time to make topic like this but about goa generaly, how do i see/feel it, and i will do it now.

Well, in my opinion we are already in third wave of goa trance. How i see it:

1) 1993 old school

2) 2003 new school

3) 2013 new school - third wave (i also like to call it new old school)

How can i explain it?

1) old school - everyone knows and no need to explain anything i belive

2) new school - for me it started in early 2003 with compilation 'Blissful Moments' thanks to those nordic guys and few months after Ethereal album. Year after Suntrip continued where Tranceform started and soon finished. There was different styles of new school goa trance but i see it mainly morningish, melodic, with psy-trancish/modern basses and mostly orientaly influenced.

It's not that is something bad ofcourse, i just got that impressions. At some years a lot artists produced only oriental goa trance but soon after people found it boring and over-used and that makes artists to explore another influences.

3) third wave - maybe it started somewhere in 2011, or just shaping of the third wave but i believe in 2013 it was breaking point.

What i can say to describe what is third wave? This is how:

Old school with fat modern production that suits really well for dancefloor today.

In 2012-2013 i found so many tracks and artists, new or old ones... that really do old school stuff with modern production ofcourse. It getting even more old schoolish with a time. Artists are using more acids, more raw sounds, making presets that reminds me on analog gear a lot. Ofcourse it is not possible to make analog sound with VST but it bloody reminds me on analog! More and more guys start to make full power night time goa, not just morning and oriental.

This third wave really suits me. I really enjoy it and love it more than second wave.

Well thanks to new school goa is bigger than before and it's growing really fast. I mean you have 5x more artist than example in 2008 when i started, i remember there wasnt so much of them... You have parties world wide, some are big, some small but you have them! Artists from everywhere. Lately i got some promo tracks from artists from Mauritius! I was so shocked to see that, i know for Mauritius but never knew where is on map... shame on me :D

I got some promos from Malaysia, Philipenes, Cambodia, Iran... and few other countries i can't remember. I know there was one country from Central Africa too. Well, they are not really high quaility but i didn't expect if i know that there goa/psy scene is almost zero in those countries.

Goa is evolving in many cases.

Nobody needs to agree, this is how i see it. Maybe more people noticed same thing i did? So feel free to write your opinion, any kind of it :)

Though I am fairly new to psy and having listened to dubstep as a major genre, I would not consider them completely crap. Well especially the likes of ananda shake and vibe tribe have some good full on tracks to dance to and worth listening. I mean just listen to the noisy dubstep tracks and then compare them with some latest full on's. Though I still Like dubstep but recent full on psy has blown me away. Its got a good blend of electro and decent melodies.

Though I still agree that the latest full on's are not as good as it's predecessor, but common it's better than dubstep and some commercial trance. (Coming from a hard core dubstep fan) :)

I think that many people who enter the psytrance scene in the post-Golden Era (post-1998) times, myself included, initially find fullon to be pretty cool. After all, it's energetic, and to varying degrees melodic and/or psychedelic. But at some point people's opinions diverge; many jump full-body into the fullon scene, but others delve into the past of the music or into alternate branches of the present and find a wider variety of psytrance styles.

For those of us in the latter group, fullon often quickly starts to sound homogenized, stale, uninspired, lowest-common-denominator tripe. Since we here at Psynews tend toward that latter group, we tend to have a pretty negative opinion of fullon.

Of course, people here also tend toward an even worse opinion of dubstep... ;)

• Like 1

I think that many people who enter the psytrance scene in the post-Golden Era (post-1998) times, myself included, initially find fullon to be pretty cool. After all, it's energetic, and to varying degrees melodic and/or psychedelic. But at some point people's opinions diverge; many jump full-body into the fullon scene, but others delve into the past of the music or into alternate branches of the present and find a wider variety of psytrance styles.

For those of us in the latter group, fullon often quickly starts to sound homogenized, stale, uninspired, lowest-common-denominator tripe. Since we here at Psynews tend toward that latter group, we tend to have a pretty negative opinion of fullon.

Of course, people here also tend toward an even worse opinion of dubstep... ;)

absolutely i couldnt agree more... Initially after listening to the new school fullon i am of the opinion that dubstep is crap with no melodies (i still listen to it though lol)...look at what these psy music producers produce, so much creativity...

but after i listening to the likes of duotekk's dunamis, cosmosis psychedelica melodica, i realised how creative and non repetitive old tracks were... I must have hardly listened to maybe 3-4 old school full on, but they indeed are mind boggling....

Im sure that there's lots to discover for newbies like me in the old school genre...

Many believe FullOn was invented by Absolum and his "Colors" tracks (Indigo, Metalizer, Caramel, etc) back in 98.

Many others believe GMS invented FullOn, and that would be in 99 with the album GMS vs Systembusters.

Clearly back 2000-2001 in Paris, you could hear the sound "fullonizing" with, indeed, Talamasca, Nomad, Silicon Sound, Neuromotor, Psyside, etc.

But the big wave came from Israel in 2002 with Alien Project (or whoever made his tracks), Atomic Pulse, Astrix, Safi Connection, plus others like GMS, Soundaholix, D-Tek, Polaris, Altöm, etc...

3) third wave - maybe it started somewhere in 2011, or just shaping of the third wave but i believe in 2013 it was breaking point.

What i can say to describe what is third wave? This is how:

Old school with fat modern production that suits really well for dancefloor today.

In 2012-2013 i found so many tracks and artists, new or old ones... that really do old school stuff with modern production ofcourse. It getting even more old schoolish with a time. Artists are using more acids, more raw sounds, making presets that reminds me on analog gear a lot. Ofcourse it is not possible to make analog sound with VST but it bloody reminds me on analog! More and more guys start to make full power night time goa, not just morning and oriental.

This third wave really suits me. I really enjoy it and love it more than second wave.

actually... i think i'll agree with you rather than myself here. i'd just see the beginnings of the third wave with daze and arcana. but yes, 2013 seems to be a kind of turning point with the third wave coming full force :)

also i see two branches, one with a modern oldschool sound (new oldschool goa; compter controlled, aurax, recent imba ;) ) and one that takes up and integrates the good bits of fullon into goa (newschool goa; artha, e-mantra, nova fractal, filteria).

i guess we'll have to wait for a few years to see how the terminology turns out to be. such things are much easier to look at in retrospect...

Wow, is that actually considered (by anyone) to fall under the psytrance umbrella?

sadly yes. some promoters advertise their parties as "psytrance" and play that stuff.

Though I am fairly new to psy and having listened to dubstep as a major genre, I would not consider them completely crap. Well especially the likes of ananda shake and vibe tribe have some good full on tracks to dance to and worth listening. I mean just listen to the noisy dubstep tracks and then compare them with some latest full on's. Though I still Like dubstep but recent full on psy has blown me away. Its got a good blend of electro and decent melodies.

Though I still agree that the latest full on's are not as good as it's predecessor, but common it's better than dubstep and some commercial trance. (Coming from a hard core dubstep fan) :)

hehe. yes, it's probably better than most dubstep, electro and minimal, but i have a strong aversion against everything that's remotely like house (minimal imho is more house than techno and electro house obviously is house). i just don't get that kind of music, don't get the groove, cannot stand the choice of sounds and sincerely miss the floaty/evolving vibe that used to characterise any kind of trance music. dubstep is a different kind of thing. i can have interesting sounds (as long as it doesn't get too glitchy) and a lot of bass power, but i don't even consider it edm - it's nothing i can dance to. this is also reflected in the structure. it has more of a traditional non-electronic music structure with chorus - verse ( = bass drop) alternating instead of just going along or building to a conclusion like edm has done since its begginings. (well, electro is the same and i think commercial trance started the trend around 2000).

so what i loved about fullon was that outer-space vibe, interesting sounds and that it was great to dance to, even when the majority wasn't very deep music. with "post-fullon" the same "interesting sounds" were used by almost every artist, the outer-space vibe vanished but it was still perfectly danceable party music. the new fullon with its constant stop-and-go-scheme breaks it for me. to dance i need a driving beat that keeps going coupled with some melody (or the monotonous relentless-machine-go-go-go-never-stop kind of vibe of techno). i have nothing against a good climax, but long breaks that lead into buildups that lead into just kick and bass which is then followed by the same thing again just don't do it for me.

totally agree. i'm also one of those :)

but i still find good fullon to be fine music, eye to eye still gets playtime here ;)

Many believe FullOn was invented by Absolum and his "Colors" tracks (Indigo, Metalizer, Caramel, etc) back in 98.

Many others believe GMS invented FullOn, and that would be in 99 with the album GMS vs Systembusters.

Clearly back 2000-2001 in Paris, you could hear the sound "fullonizing" with, indeed, Talamasca, Nomad, Silicon Sound, Neuromotor, Psyside, etc.

But the big wave came from Israel in 2002 with Alien Project (or whoever made his tracks), Atomic Pulse, Astrix, Safi Connection, plus others like GMS, Soundaholix, D-Tek, Polaris, Altöm, etc...

thanks for the info. i'll have to dig out the roots of fullon and check out absolum.

so apparently i wans't that much off with my estimates :)

:D @ alien project