New into the Trance genre as a whole, looking for some guidance.

naa

I'm sort of on the same boat as you. Goasia and AP were really easy and nice to dive into. But Pleiadians for me took couple listens to fully enjoy, it was a different beast that required a different strategy to take. I'm not the greatest fan of dark psy. Sure some are good, but the majority of them I can't enjoy no matter how much I try to listen to it.

Goasia, Astral Projection and Pleiadians

goasia and astral are easy get into (with astral being the introduction into goa trance for many people here on the forum), pleiadians not so much. i'd figure that Dimension 5 - Second Phaze, Mindsphere - Patience for Heaven and probably Chi-A.D. - Earth Crossing also fall into that category.

Concerning Dark and Forest, I still could not give a thorough look at it, however, from a superficial glance, some musics are entertaining, but some seem "off". I think I still do not fully understand the genre. Will try it on a different setting and on a different mood next time.

Don't worry. It is all shit. Don't waste you time trying to figure it out.

=)

lololol

These might not be up your alley, maybe they will be, I dunno.

Try giving a listen to:

Texas Faggott - Petoman's Peflett (Exogenic Records)

Darshan - Awakening (Flying Rhino Records)

Prana - Geomantik (Matsuri Productions)

Prometheus - Corridor of Mirrors (Twisted Records)

Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinite (Blue Room Released)

I found that the progressive and tech trance styles took some getting used to - both X-Dream "Radio" album and Hux Flux "Cryptic Crunch" were albums I didn't like at all the first time I heard them (they aren't really pure progressive trance albums though, they're a semi-progressive style of psytrance that doesn't use a lot of higher pitch lead melodies, and instead uses lots of sound effects and loops)..

Anyhow, progressive trance doesn't usually provide the same big euphoric climaxes that goa trance psytrance provides - it's more about being hypnotized - a true trance state - and they may seem empty a bit at first, but it's all about how they build in the layers - it's a more subtle experience but I find the genre to be delightful, if I'm in the right mood for it. Took me a couple years of psytrance before I found the joy in progressive though - now if I listen to psytrance I'd say 70% of the time it's progressive.

Speaking of which, let me recommend what is debatably the most influential pure progressive psytrance album of all - this one set the standard back in 2000 - Atmos - "Headcleaner" - this is seriously brilliant and memorizing music - but you have to follow the tracks right from the beginning or it can go right over your head.

A main attraction of progressive trance that neither goa/psy, or dark/forest psy have is a certain style of really killer basslines and grooves - progressive psytrance often has such a hip and swanky grooviness to it that goa just doesn't have - it's usually a bit slower and just way more booty-shaking, at least in terms of the beat and rhythms - here's a couple examples of what I'm talking about, and then a track off the Atmos album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XkN7Q_Y9w

also don't forget to explore downtempo trance music, you can find it easily on google using keywords: psychill, psybient, deep trance, psydub, ambient.

i would recomment you to listen to some DJ mixes from this list http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php/topic/67807-make-your-vote-to-support-2013-psychill-mix-poll/?do=findComment&comment=1031516

• 2 weeks later...

One more from me, since I'm posting genre-defining albums:

The "full-on" sub-genre of psytrance traces back to the early 2000's - and the album that, IMO, continues to be the apex of full-on is Psysex - "Hardcore Blastoff."

Most full-on that followed was annoying and derivative, and so became unpopular with many old-school psytrance afficionados - "full-on" became a dirty word - but "Hardcore Blastoff" is a phenomenal album which sounds like nothing else - check this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnl75xwzLs

• 4 weeks later...

For really heavy atmospheric mindblowing experience try those:

Ovnimoon - Transmutation of the mind

Artifact 303 - Back to space

Elegy - Imaginarium

Ascent - Secret place

Sonic Species - Unleash the beat

I am also still listening to some of what I mentioned in the opening post. Despite that, I am slowly getting away from most progressive and full on; they began sounding a little shallow and repetitive (with some exceptions, of course. And I still have to check Earwall's suggestions on some progressive albums and Delirious Noon mentioned by Ranback. I hope to get me back on track).

this is where I can come in and offer suggestions not yet listed. I hope you change your mind when listening to classic albums from 10 yrs ago. the names you listed for that genre I think are crap ;p sorry. full-on is easily the sub-genre with the most cheese but when you strike gold, f*ck yeah its good!

albums

Absolum - Inside the Sphere

Audialize - Wanted

CPU - Central Processing Unit

D-Tek - Earth Technologies

Dynamic - Dynamix

Lucy in Space with Diamonds - Emerald City

Nomad - Mad Attack

Psydrop - Fantasy Seeds

Shift - Red Line

Suria - Logical Evolution

Xerox & Illumination - Temporary Insanity

theres literally around 100 more I can list but will leave you with that and some songs ;D

(CPU - Shot Shot, Voila also stomps!)