Best Tristan album?

radi6404

7 members have voted

1. 1. Best Tristan Album

• Audioframe
    • Chemisphere
    • Other - please specify

he has imho never made landmark releases that set new standards and i wouldn't think of calling any track "sounding like tristan" contrary to some other artists such as logic bomb, hux flux, early talamasca, cosmosis, … . but he has consistently released psychedelic trance (that deserves that name) of varying quality from great to average and he didn't go down the cheese/extremely-generic-fullon/minimal/dubstep road. that alone sets him apart from the great multitude of other producers.

I agree on your view. He's definitely a passionate (= doing it for a long time) producer and he did indeed stay true to the roots of the music. Jason pointed out he made a couple really well collabs which I'd like to agree with as well.

But as a solo artist, there's hardly anything that I could say to be the best of the best that the genre has to offer. He didn't go where the fence was the lowest, but as you say, hasn't been able to reach a signature sound (I thought he would in 15+ years but...) that to hearing it, one could say "oi! It's Tristan!".

I disagree, Tristan has a sgnature sound and although it has evolved through out the years, its still there. Be it from when you could hear his old Doepfer modular with all them phase shifting patches, to the Virus sounds he uses today, you did not hear any cheese that is spread through out the full on genre. Audiodrome was groundbreaking when it came out, collabs with Dickster, Manmademan, Dimitri, some Fearsome Engine tunes, with Lucas, Master Blasters, Hallucinogen...the list goes on...you can even hear when a part of the track has his stamp on it. Its just a matter of having listened to his output enough, imo.

He is also a massive name, Tristan parties in Goa where the busiest and he tours the world constantly and with very good reason if you ask me. There are *very* few artists that stayed true to their sound and did not descend into cheese.

And his style is distinct enough to have influenced loads of people, a lot.

Obviously I am biased cause I love his music and I know him personally and despite his massive success he is a brilliant geezer that has his feet on the ground, so bare that in mind when you read my views.

Cosmic Spiral is a choon and a half as well. The dancefloor kicks off to it. The intro arp is also my idea of a good goa, acidic lead that is very different than the usual neo-goa high note leads. Driving, hypnotic, acidic, can listen to it on repeat and it never gets boring with the other layers of sound the tall geezer throws in there.

That is his style that stands out from the rest and has him playing all over the world, imo always.