a question about progressive.

PsyProg_FanaticBR

Hey guys, i'm from Brazil, and I have so many quetions about the diferent kinds of the progressive trance. We have some partys here that are all about progressive, but we dont use to discuss that a lot.

So, I see you guys talking about "minimal" progressive, how to describe it?

other thing, people use to talk about "offbeat" all the time, but it's very hard to understand what it is.

I would appreciate if someone help me and tell the difference of those 5 songs.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

thanks

Prog is very popular here in Australia too. It sucks imo. It seems to be the new full on. It's quite cheesy, all party and no depth.

Offbeat is usually refering to the bassline pattern. An offbeat pattern sounds and is structured like this: Kick - Bass - . As opposed perhaps to a 16th note full on bassline structured like this: Kick Bass Bass Bass.

I wouldn't call any of those tracks minimal. Although I guess technically they might be.

Track 1: Crap

Track 2: Not bad but still too many vocal samples

Track 3: Neelix is that you?

Track 4: More Neelix-esque crap

Track 5: Didn't like it either, although there are some cool noises.

All these tracks I would say were in the same style. So not much to tell apart. Personally, I just like to call this Progressive Trance. Also apologies if I offended your taste in music, I just came back from a party and all they played was frickin prog so I'm a little sick of it at the moment thats all.

I guess minimal is anything that tells the story with minimalism, rather than big huge synth lines. My idea of minimal is something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkskdRd2ZhQ

• Like 2

1: crap indeed. this is not psytrance.

2: that is a bit like the "minimal psytrance" minimalistic technoid sound of the early 00s; but it's rather the modern continuation in the form of dark progressive a.k.a. zenonesque.

3: this is imho halfway between "normal" progressive and #1

4: again, i agree with sickdogs. more of the same

5: more of the same.

now this is what i'd call "normal" progressive:

it's apparently coming out of fashion and being replaced by your example #1.

and here's a good example of minimal psytrance from 2002:

there's also a continuum from this to the harder, faster and more aggressive psytek, if you're into that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

You are from Brasil, and I am in Brasil now... :P just returned from Universo, and I can only say... Woow, Progressive is HUGE in Brasil, and not the melodic deep trancy, but the commercial simple stuff. The dancefloor goes crazy on parts without anything else as a offbeat kick. Neelix was the worst indeed... Luckely there was enough good music too, but I was surprised of the amount of really BAD and UNpsychedelic proggie.

The progressive others told here are really good, but "old school" I guess :) the best now is Ovnimoon, Lyctum and some Meller for me... But they didn't play there :D

I'm not following progressive trance releases for a while but I still enjoy older stuff from projects such as Tegma, Shaman, Antix, Ticon, Vibrasphere, Son Kite and old Iboga and Tribal Vision releases. If there is something like that released nowdays, please post it here, I would love to check some good releases :)

To give you couple of examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot17IE2MZ_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlgKURDXitc

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also not a big fan of the progressive genre, doesn't have enough melody for me and it tends to get a bit boring after a while. Although there are some artists I enjoy. Like Ovnimoon which also a lot of others users suggested, I also enjoy most of Mythospheric's tracks (although some might find them a bit cheesy :P ). Recently I got the album Zorba by Zorba, which has a decent amount of fairly good tracks (in fact I'm listening to it right now). Jaïa also has a couple of great proggy tracks. Of which these are my favourites :D :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIwooPMYQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRTjooOnsc

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You are from Brasil, and I am in Brasil now... :P just returned from Universo, and I can only say... Woow, Progressive is HUGE in Brasil, and not the melodic deep trancy, but the commercial simple stuff. The dancefloor goes crazy on parts without anything else as a offbeat kick. Neelix was the worst indeed... Luckely there was enough good music too, but I was surprised of the amount of really BAD and UNpsychedelic proggie.

The progressive others told here are really good, but "old school" I guess :) the best now is Ovnimoon, Lyctum and some Meller for me... But they didn't play there :D

dude, I dont get it either. I really want to say its the drugs but I dont know hahah! the prog (and full-on) these days build up to a bass drop, then bassline starts the track over and people go wild. this makes me leave the dancefloor. yuck! Progressive I like is dreamy and changing. trancing you in place. S-Range and what I just learned from Boom fest is that System 7 is right up my alley too. their mix was goooood! Atmos was pleasing too. Not much prog sticks out to me so I cant really name more... I think some old Cosmic Tone releases although I do remember not liking some. Ololiuqui too.