what do you mean by cheesy?

kartoonz

Hello friends i am new to psy trance. I love full on trance and also like other forms of psy like goa, dark, etc. I have gone through many threads for recomendations and good albums and have been around anonymously. I like the new fullon with some electro influences in it and also love the oldies as recommended by members here. However I noticed that some experts here term most of recent fullon psy as CHEESY!! I know for sure that this ain't a compliment. Please experts shed some light on this term... Thanks and peace... :)

"Cheesy", like "psychedelic", is a subjective term that means different things to different people. I might define cheesy psytrance as that which relies on poppy vocals, novelty samples, familiar melodies and other such gimmicks that are designed to appeal to pop music fans who have no interest in the distinguishing characteristics of psytrance. But that definition, like any, would fail to accurately characterise how the term is used by everyone.

• Like 1

For me cheesy is the same as catchy but with a negative nuance.

It makes the music fun and easy to remember but quickly gets boring/annoying.

Think of the 1200 Mics samples: I liked them on first listen as they were funny, but liked them less and less on subsequent listens until I hated the music. Cheesy. Instantly gratifying but void of lasting quality. Most pop music is the same for me.

• Like 1

For me cheesy is the same as catchy but with a negative nuance.

It makes the music fun and easy to remember but quickly gets boring/annoying.

Think of the 1200 Mics samples: I liked them on first listen as they were funny, but liked them less and less on subsequent listens until I hated the music. Cheesy. Instantly gratifying but void of lasting quality. Most pop music is the same for me.

+1

• Like 1

music that makes you feel sick as if you have just eaten a whole kilogram of cheese at once :)

my understanding of the word "cheesy" is probably best described as the opposite of "subtle".

obvious
blatant
obtuse

imho not necessarily. there's a lot of dark music or maximal music like filteria that's quite the opposite of subtle, but that doesn't make it cheesy. for me it also has to have the shallow easy-listening—commercial-music vibe complete with simple, obnoxious melodies or reliance in cheap tricks or in the worst case pop vocals (like in imba's example :wacko: ; i could really use vomiting smilie now ;) ).

• Like 1

imho not necessarily. there's a lot of dark music or maximal music like filteria that's quite the opposite of subtle, but that doesn't make it cheesy.

I guess what I wrote was a bit misleading/unprecise. I agree with you, not everything that's unsubtle is also cheesy. But at least, I guess, most would agree that something cannot be cheesy and subtle at the same time. When it comes to music like Filteria, then I'd say the music is both obvious and subtle at the same time. It's obvious what elements of the music are meant to catch the attention, but the music is not simple enough to leave it at that. There might be an in-your-face melody playing in the foreground, but usually the melodies aren't as simple as they might sound in the first moment (so there is already some subtleness in the in-your-face melody itself) and then there are the interactions and harmonies with the other elements of the track, some or most of which are not obvious at all.

And then (imo) there's also the good cheese, like, for example, spiritual healing by the muses rapt. There is maybe not as much subtle stuff going on as in some other tracks and at the same time the main melody is (at least in principle) very simple and catchy, but it's so well executed that, even though I cannot listen to it at any time, when I actually want to listen to the track, it's extremely enjoyable.

• Like 1

Thank you so much... I am Just new to psy music so my understanding may not be on par with everyone here...I will have to listen more to the old school psy I guess to familiarize myself... THanks again everyone

Having read all those posts I'd like to ask You, if the main melody in Etnica - Supressive fire is cheesy by Your definition? I'm talking about the one in the second part of the track, sorry I can't be more specific, my soundcard is off at the moment.

It's a tad restrained, insignificant melody line - there's nothing blatant about it. Wouldn't call it cheesy by any standard.

On the sidenote: Whow, Etnica is like insta-skip these days, huh?

Having read all those posts I'd like to ask You, if the main melody in Etnica - Supressive fire is cheesy by Your definition? I'm talking about the one in the second part of the track, sorry I can't be more specific, my soundcard is off at the moment.

it's simple, but not cheesy. there is subtlety and a slight mysterious vibe, it's nothing like pop-music.

On the sidenote: Whow, Etnica is like insta-skip these days, huh?

no way, imho they are one of the few artists that still make decent psytrance outside the whole newschool movement.

Now everyone is wondering, how the hell did Imba bump into this track ? Pure coincidence or ... :o ?

It has to do something with being friend with Radi and Nhjo :o

But that track is just perfection for newcommer commercial chicks in psy world! :D

CHEESUS IS HERE

[...]

[...]

the first one isn't that bad. with some determination i could dance to it, but the second one is truly cheesy... the voice!

still nothing compared to this:

the description at psyshop says it's fullon :huh:

Watch out from this massive fullon album, making sure to bring you the finest music there is today on the psy-trance scene.

i kid you not, that's really what they write.

actually anything coming from planet ben records nowadays is cheesy crap.

• Like 1