Is Dark Psy Stagnating?

Shpongled247

Seems to me that it definitely is. Over the past few years and mostly since the push towards "hi tech" (ugh) 150+ stuff, that any creativity that was there has just..evaporated.

5 or so years ago isra was full of release threads, mostly for "normal" dark psy, and some forest, but these days there hasn't been an amazing new release in a long time..

So what is going on? Did the dark bubble burst these past years?

I'm not following darkpsy releases for a while but i still enjoy the 2004 - 2008 period which brought shitload of quality compilations and albums. Maybe this topic can be a good opportunity to share some of the great releases in 2013 and recent years worth checking?

I don't think it's stagnating, quite the opposite; it's evolving in a direction that you don't like (I don't like it either, but there are a few gems).

If you prefer old-style darkpsy then you should perhaps check out the artist Fobi.

Just jumping in here with quick remark. After years of psytrance being bottled into groups, like chemical uninspiring Full On (thank God most of that shit just died out and became lol. It was murdered by DarkPsy, and for that I am grateful) and Progressive (urk) .. (I think those two categories, are the very example of what the fuck I do Not want in my cup of Psytrance... chemicals) .. anyway, those two more distinct and generic categories, full-on and progressive followed by the trentic rebellious and counterbalancing DarkPsy era. GOATRANCE, is on it's clear way back. To the masses. Might be you don't get my remark. That's Ok.

LightPsy ~

chemical uninspiring Full On (thank God most of that shit just died out [..])

actually, considering what is played now, i wish for "good old fullon" to come back. yes, in the latter years the vast majority of it was uninspired, cheesy, predictable and boring, but it was still fun to dance to. now we have the choice between noisy, glitchy 180bpm hitech and boring, predictable, uninspired and glitchy "progressive" that has less in common with progressive than with minimal or dubstep and has the beat drop out in the instant you start dancing. even the most awful fullon sounds like goa trance in comparison.

Yes, there are fewer and fewer tracks with dark atmospheres like Silent Horror, Orestis, Rawar, etc and a lot of ppl have moved on to forest and hi-tech.

I wouldn't call Fobi dark as someone mentioned but if you are looking for dark the best release i heard this year was VA - Immaterial world.

Yes Pad, and after all of these years with so much. Goatrance / Lightpsy is getting a wider appeal then ever (long time ago?) before.

Festival bookings (pull the crowd, the masses) from my view strongly suggest it. And it's so nice! Freqs, Lost ..

Keep it psychedelic. *Which is a fantastically loose term unable to be specified and locked.

We live in real times. And the psy, strongly suggests and reflects this. Not much room for fluffy bullshit in the dark corners of our sonic universe.

Trancehippies where all too far in their headclouds of lalala, something had to bring in some rough and unruly reality. Now that a lot of mess has been settled and chased away, (?) light returns to shine.

Don't mind me, I'm just writing out of my ass here.

Gotta say though, I have a really keen wub for this term, Lightpsy, and it's ultimate psychedelic powerness.

I enjoy a lot of the modern but so wish I hadn't sold my Mistress Of Evil, Trishula & Nabi CDs a few years back.

This year the biggest surprise for nice dark psy was Khaos Sektor "Psychedelic Adventure" album on Rockdenashi. It incorporates happily all the elements of modern & IMO old dark psy but never goes super fast nor does it go super glitch. Check it out, it also snuck past me.

i sure as hell miss the days darkpsy / (dark psychedelic trance) was the slang for

music that was played in the night (night time beats).

it represented (for me at least) the most important phase in the ritual of dancing.

night time sets were so alive,and creative,intellegant,then with the years it just evolved

into squeekie metal beats and kicks i couldnt connect with.

the only stand out names i rememmber are Ocelot,Quasar the alien fm gang,parasense,and early early para halu.

god i miss the old days in particularly and the not so long ago days when this genre still had intellegant purpose.

intellegant purpose.

Intelligent

In Tell I Gent

<3

Maybe this is some good darepsy music for ya'll. Or maybe it is also, according to, stagnated? http://www.moonkoradji.com/mkcd009_Intropix.html

For real though, would like to read and listen to some proper suggestion for newly released, psychedelic and intelligent psytrance alla DarkPsyyy!!

Suggestions; Yggdrasil Records soon to release something .. Norway also got a record label called "Horrordelic Records".

• Like 1

Hmm nothing in this thread really points to otherwise... Sure Moon Koradj stuff is ok, and Yggdrasil sure, but its allllll similar sounds! To me dark has the problem prog has/had.. And to those who said it, you are right, I don't like the direction it evolved when it has (KDD I only liked first album)

There hasn't even been a monumental Forest Artist Album release since Derango for Christ sake :/

I know there are some nice va stuff but albums just seem to have dried up to me.

How about Reach Escape Velocity, or Ukalen?

I love both but they weren't really the watershed release for the genre that Tumult was.

Maybe my hopes are too high and I'm spoilt with all the good goa releases lately and just expecting the same elsewhere.

Side note: Atriohm into Encephalopaticys into Farebi Jalebi into Derango this year was epic live.

PROCS. But then again, it ain't maybe in the Dark Psy category box .. Check his latest album. "Touchdown in Hizzytown"

http://www.discogs.com/Procs-Touchdown-In-Hizzytown/release/4063937

And you know, this album right here, is for many of reasons concidered the be the unofficial Derango 2 (second album release).

Quote; Side note: Atriohm into Encephalopaticys into Farebi Jalebi into Derango this year was epic live.

.. sounds Very nice. If nice was the word.

There seems to be less "straight-up darkpsy" about these days and more and more forest & hi-tech, but there's still some quality stuff out there. I wouldn't say it's stagnating.

Among my favourite darkpsy releases recently are:

Ogoun - Oga Alabe

Yata-Garasu - Soul Resonance

The Ancient Secret Of the Flower Of Life - V.A.

Karash - Shapeshifter

Ocelot - Night & Day

Digitalist - Larger Modality Of Organisation

There's a fair bit of diversity among those.

I mostly prefer artist albums. But if it is really high quality then fire away :)

Thanks Franki I will check those out.

Top notch forest compilations of the last years:

Igra Drijada

Forest Frequencies

Gungfly

Umcherrel-The First Tale

Wasted Brigade

Audiogenic Forces

The Pain Of The Forgotten Forest (Schlabbaduerst style)

The Oldest Story (Schlabbaduerst style)

Antediluvian Audio

Instrumentarium (Schlabbaduerst style)

Remember The Slime

And for albums

Already Maged-Liber Scientia

Hallucinogenic Horses-The Golden Years

Attoya-Wooden Beats

BOTFB-Urban Legends