gone back to manga

pixiejanet

so fed up of todays rubbish in the movies that i have decided to go Anime again,

what are your faves?

I still think the old Manga are the best...

watching Urotsukidoji just now...Hentai before it became a genre??

I always liked Anime, but I'm more into the Sci-Fi ones. I loved Akira, GITS, Saber Rider, Techno Police, Appleseed and stuff like that. Apart from Sci-Fi, I found City Hunter to be hugely entertaining. Back in college, I shared a flat with one of my best friends an we painted the kitchen with some City Hunter graphics...nerdy, but awesome. Vampire Hunter D, Dragonball (and Z), Fist Of The North Star, Ninja Scroll...I really used to watch a lot. Then I somehow lost interest, but recently I found myself browsing youtube for One Piece episodes...pretty good one imo.

Never been a big fan of hentai, but Urotsukidoji is good.

I'm a little weirded out that you like Urotsukidoji, Janet.

LOL, really? Its not the norm for me to enjoy that, but the stories are great! my faves are the ones that Abasio mentioned tbh...and I am looking for more along those lines... x

Deadman Wonderland is a series I have just finished and also the Pet Shop of Horrors was good, Deathnote, wow awesome! ... need more series like those...

@abasio

Yeah of course, Ghibli's works are awesome and I agree with you that one should savour them...they're really something special. I've been to the museum in Mitaka and one could really feel the essence of Ghibli's "magic" there, even while eating some cake. I wonder what the Urotsukidoji variant of that cake would look like :D

kuchen.jpg

I went to that museum too, it was great and you get to watch an unreleased short.

The only disappointment was that only kids were allowed on the cat-bus

hmm, think i could get away with pretending to be a kid?? heehee

I went to that museum too, it was great and you get to watch an unreleased short.

The only disappointment was that only kids were allowed on the cat-bus

Yeah I got to see "Mei to koneko-basu"...it was great and if I had to make just one really weird wish, I'd opt for my own koneko-basu!

:D

Didn't really specify what type of anime?

Well.. there's one that pops to my mind before anything else.

Attack On Titan. If you don't enjoy the most emotionally (and graphically) violent things then don't watch it! It will leave you disgusted and depressed, on many occassions(First episode is the worst..), however putting those things aside, it is one of the most incredible animes ever released. It seems silly at first, but the way it pulls you in is like no other, you start craving for answers and the fragility of the extremely good characters creates some of the most intense scenes ever. The music and art are also top tier, hell, I'd say they're the best I've seen an anime series deliver yet(arguably). The quality of it is sky high from start to finish, I still get chills just thinking about those action scenes.

+ it has the creepiest... oh my fucking god what is wrong with your eyes!?

zoeeye.png

I have looked for stuff I like, but most is trash. Spoiled on Tenchi Muyo from years ago and the great Akira stuff.

Seems the best stuff is really weird and unpopular. Canaan ? that was weird - but only thing in the last few years that I liked.

Didn't really specify what type of anime?

Well.. there's one that pops to my mind before anything else.

Attack On Titan. If you don't enjoy the most emotionally (and graphically) violent things then don't watch it! It will leave you disgusted and depressed, on many occassions(First episode is the worst..), however putting those things aside, it is one of the most incredible animes ever released. It seems silly at first, but the way it pulls you in is like no other, you start craving for answers and the fragility of the extremely good characters creates some of the most intense scenes ever. The music and art are also top tier, hell, I'd say they're the best I've seen an anime series deliver yet(arguably). The quality of it is sky high from start to finish, I still get chills just thinking about those action scenes.

+ it has the creepiest... oh my fucking god what is wrong with your eyes!?

zoeeye.png

Ya bugger....watched 13 episodes yesterday, hooked! those eyes! and those teeeth!

I had a anime killing spree just a few months ago... I don't really know what happend but I think it all went downhill when my friend persisted in not watching Ergo Proxy to the end. I bought it along with a few other titles and I was hooked.

1) Moribito (5/5) Can't really put my finger on why, I think it is pretty damn good no matter how you twist and turn it.

2) Iria (5/5) Probably the coolest anime I've watched.

3) Jin-Roh (4/5) Nicely done, very philosophical.

4) Serial Experiments Lain (4/5) Experimentalism galore.

5) Ergo Proxy (4/5) While it has a tendency to stall a little I still like it. Fun and interesting characters.

6) Mardock Scramble 1 & 2 (4/5) Sci-Fi Action with not a single dead moment, unfortunately they're a bit short.

7) Urotsukidoji Legend of the Overfiend & Legend of the Demon Womb (4/5) Might be a bit over the top, but I like it!

8) Shigurui Death Frenzy (4/5) This one takes some getting used to but it is certainly quite interesting.

9) Akira (4/5) It is good, really good... but the best? Not in my opinion.

A bunch of 3/5s, they're all good enjoyable anime...

Black Rock Shooter, Canaan, Claymore, House Of Five Leaves, King Of Thorns, Phantom (Requiem For The Phantom), The Big O, Tokko, Vexille (CGI, whatever), Blood-C, Evangelion 1.11 & 2.22, Freedom, Nausicaä, The Sky Crawlers.

and of course one 2/5 which I wouldn't really recommend, Planzet. A short CGI-video with a cool idea but a remarkably crappy execution, an avalanche of plotholes.

Well, I used to be quite an anime junkie but it's been fading in recent years. Most of my favourites are from around 10 years ago, but there are some few good recent series too.

Some recommendations with occasionally rather vague descriptions:

ARIA (all 3 seasons). Slice of life to the maximum. Somewhat cutesy and occasionally a bit silly but very very atmospheric.

Earth Girl Arjuna. Shouji Kawamori's take on the decline of Earth and modern society. Has a tendency to bring its points forward with a sledgehammer. Definitely worth watching though.

Baccano!. Brilliant nonlinear storytelling with intertwining plots.

Boogiepop Phantom. As above, but with shitloads of weird thrown into the mix. Love the sound design.

Angel's Egg. A dozen lines of dialogue in a 70 minute movie. Unexplainable, just watch it :)

Kino's Journey. A quite deeply philosophical journey into humanity.

Eden of the East (series + 2 movies). One of the better recent series.

Elfen Lied. Bloody, but for a reason (but not over the top). One of the best opening themes ever too.

Honey & Clover (both seasons). An occasionally completely ridiculous (but in really good taste) comedy about a bunch of art students. Has enough drama too :)

Kamichu!. An insecure middle school student becomes an equally insecure god. One of those series that just make you feel good.

Flag. A docmentary style series about a war photographer. Brilliant in almost every way.

Planetes. Space debris collectors maybe aren't the sexiest subject for a series but this is simply pure brilliance.

Noir. One of my early favourites.

Mushi-shi. Oozes with atmosphere. One of my absolute favourites.

Clannad & Clannad After Story. The first season is a kinda cutesy highschool drama, After Story tears that all apart.

Texhnolyze. Another rather inexplainable series.

Haibane Renmei. One of the most beautiful and serene things I've ever experienced :)

Black Lagoon (both seasons). Action with a badass attitude. I usually don't like action series that much, but this is fantastic.

Paranoia Agent. More weirdness :D

The Twelve Kingdoms. Don't watch if you can't stomach too much fantasy. But do watch if you want something rather epic (I'd suggest to stop watching at episode 39, the last 6 are crap).

Spice & Wolf (both seasons). Fantastic, what else can I say.

Monster. 75 episodes of mostly pure brilliance.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (both seasons + movie). Just watch it :)

Madoka Magica. Not your typical magical girl show. Grim and fantastic.

Katanagatari. Quite an unusual art style.

The Tatami Galaxy. Another fantastic oddball.

Well, that should get you started :D