gone back to manga

pixiejanet

Well, I used to be quite an anime junkie but it's been fading in recent years. Most of my favourites are from around 10 years ago, but there are some few good recent series too.

Some recommendations with occasionally rather vague descriptions:

ARIA (all 3 seasons). Slice of life to the maximum. Somewhat cutesy and occasionally a bit silly but very very atmospheric.

Earth Girl Arjuna. Shouji Kawamori's take on the decline of Earth and modern society. Has a tendency to bring its points forward with a sledgehammer. Definitely worth watching though.

Baccano!. Brilliant nonlinear storytelling with intertwining plots.

Boogiepop Phantom. As above, but with shitloads of weird thrown into the mix. Love the sound design.

Angel's Egg. A dozen lines of dialogue in a 70 minute movie. Unexplainable, just watch it :)

Kino's Journey. A quite deeply philosophical journey into humanity.

Eden of the East (series + 2 movies). One of the better recent series.

Elfen Lied. Bloody, but for a reason (but not over the top). One of the best opening themes ever too.

Honey & Clover (both seasons). An occasionally completely ridiculous (but in really good taste) comedy about a bunch of art students. Has enough drama too :)

Kamichu!. An insecure middle school student becomes an equally insecure god. One of those series that just make you feel good.

Flag. A docmentary style series about a war photographer. Brilliant in almost every way.

Planetes. Space debris collectors maybe aren't the sexiest subject for a series but this is simply pure brilliance.

Noir. One of my early favourites.

Mushi-shi. Oozes with atmosphere. One of my absolute favourites.

Clannad & Clannad After Story. The first season is a kinda cutesy highschool drama, After Story tears that all apart.

Texhnolyze. Another rather inexplainable series.

Haibane Renmei. One of the most beautiful and serene things I've ever experienced :)

Black Lagoon (both seasons). Action with a badass attitude. I usually don't like action series that much, but this is fantastic.

Paranoia Agent. More weirdness :D

The Twelve Kingdoms. Don't watch if you can't stomach too much fantasy. But do watch if you want something rather epic (I'd suggest to stop watching at episode 39, the last 6 are crap).

Spice & Wolf (both seasons). Fantastic, what else can I say.

Monster. 75 episodes of mostly pure brilliance.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (both seasons + movie). Just watch it :)

Madoka Magica. Not your typical magical girl show. Grim and fantastic.

Katanagatari. Quite an unusual art style.

The Tatami Galaxy. Another fantastic oddball.

Well, that should get you started :D

Pretty much this. Lots of good stuff out there. Spice & Wolf is one of my favorites, anime about economics, hahaha. Clannad was also good. Haurhi can be funny.

I also recommend Mushishi. Very interesting story and has a very nice calm atmosphere that sucks you in.

• 5 weeks later...

People are seriously praising Baccano. I just finished the series... and it's just all over the place. I know the producers were having fun here but I can't say that the end result was blowing my mind.

Next up is Berserk (Original Series). Then of to the movies thereof...

There's apparently a new season coming in april :)

A bit late, but I freaked out when I discovered that from another friend. Loved the t.v. special they had.

People are seriously praising Baccano. I just finished the series... and it's just all over the place. I know the producers were having fun here but I can't say that the end result was blowing my mind.

Next up is Berserk (Original Series). Then of to the movies thereof...

I've heard that the original tv series wasn't not that great... and the same for the films. Oh well, the manga is always good whenever Muira updates it after 6-12 months.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My absolute favorites are Steins Gate and Clannad & Clannad After Story. Steins gate is for me the best all-rounder. Action, mystery, drama, romance, good story and so on... And Clannad..... That anime made me weep so many times! I was completely emotionally wrecked after finishing it. I bet no one can say he/she didnt shed a tear while watching it!

I also like Mushishi, Samurai Champloo and Blue Gender. Blue Gender cause its the first anime I watched when I was like 6 or 7 years old. I was traumatized to say the least. :P