03 - Molaren
04 - Perineum #1
05 - Sub Serum
06 - Lemming Leisures
07 - Phony Pony
08 - Perineum #2
09 - Celestial Lights
Review:
I'm writing this because this album has restored some of my faith in Psychill. The best psychill album I've heard all year, and I believe an instant classic. This album mixes acoustic instruments, trippy vocals, and beautiful synth work. Sounds like a typical psychill prescription in the Shpongle and Entheogenic vein doesn't it? Well, it has similarities to those two artists, but the way it all comes together is unique, and I find it more of a true journey than especially the Shpongle offerings of recent years. Shpongle has more of a happy hippie type vibe, whereas this has more of a forest and scando vibe to it. The album has a certain maturity and tastefullness to it that really stands out to me as well. The melodies are mostly fantastic - the contrast in sounds he uses creates tracks that have a lot of color and stand out from each other.
The one criticism I have of this is that he doesn't let the melodies run long enough - now, that's just my personal preference, and some do go on for awhile - but it's frustrating when a killer euphoric melody floats in and just as I'm starting to enter blissful sonic trance to it, it goes away - boo! Anyway, with this album it is all so rich and sonically pleasing that disappointments are short-lived.
Highly recommended!
96/100
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kurbeats is the same duo that produced the earlier album, Yggdrasil - Prose Edda. I won't say that Folktronica is bad, but I found it boring. Prose Edda is much more original and interesting.

+1

Well, I like this album much more than "Prose Edda", which I found to lack coherent direction in the tracks - the tracks on that abum have lots of great details, but they aren't memorable because there aren't really any lead melodies or other elements that tie it together.. Reminds me a lot of much of the neo-goa genre - lots of pleasant little melodies and sounds but no real charisma or thematic elements..

• 2 years later...

Huh! I thought I had commented here!

This album has been a favourite since the time it was released :)

It makes me soo happy every time I listen to it. I wish they made another Kurbeats album.

Opening track is a beast! <3 right from the burning twigs , old grandma voices to that heavenly acid. It's just perfect.

Molaren(Swedish for Morals) is a favourite from this album. Such an emotional track. Love the vocals!

Phone Pony reminds me of Rajasthan. Beautiful!

Perenium #1 is a good track too.

I would take this over shpongle and/or Prose Edda anyday.

Try it here :

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/kurbeats-folktronica

And if you like it,

Buy it here :

https://kurbeats.bandcamp.com/

• Like 1

How the f**k did I missed this?!? :blink:

Kurbeats is the same duo that produced the earlier album, Yggdrasil - Prose Edda. I won't say that Folktronica is bad, but I found it boring. Prose Edda is much more original and interesting.

"Original"? It's a blatant rip-off of Shpongle / YB / Celtic Cross down to the sounds and arrangements... It's awesome, but I definitely wouldn't call it original...

• 2 years later...