What do you love about Goa?

Shpongled247

Assuming of course you love goa trance, and if not, what the hell are you doing here? Hah, joking of course.

Anyway, what do you love about it? What separates it from everything else for you?

For me, it's a lot of things people will probably mention, but a huge one is just simply the sheer amount of

rainbow-cake-finnished-1mb.jpg

No, not cake!

Layers! Layer upon layer of delicious ear melting melodic layers all squirming and squelching perfectly within their own space. I love that you can trip on any one layer or three and always find new sounds even years later. For me it makes it the best and most psychedelic music...

Are you sure it isn't the cake? Because if there was not frosting, there would be nothing holding the cake together and it would fall apart (haha). I guess one reason is like what you mentioned, the layers. I guess another reason for me is that it's just plain pleasing to my ear. All the melodies and sounds go together so well. While sometimes I get bored or tired of listening to other genres, Goa is something that I can always just play and love no matter what mood or time it is.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I will admit that I usually don't dance when listening to Goa. I am usually either driving, sitting at home, or whatever. It's not that I don't feel the beat, it's just I don't feel like getting up or something like that.

the aforementioned layers,

that there isn't one melodic line to hum along to but rather a whole landscape of sound to get lost in,

when that landscape gets so intense as to fill up and blow your mind (other kinds of music just concentrate on single aspects instead of doing this to the whole spectrum of possible music perception),

the general atmosphere: varied from mysterious to euphoric (but not cheesy) and still distinct,

the choice of interesting, mind-stimulating and still pleasant, organic sounds

the use of the 303 (not unique to goa)

and last but not least the 4/4 kick, which provides a climax about 145 times a minute (not unique to goa)

I just love how uncompromisingly positive but still in-your-face Goa can be... It's almost as if it has this mental pull on me that guides me through every episode, be it good or bad, of my life and always reassures me that what I am doing is right, that I can do it, that I can take it, that I can be a better person... I guess this goes a little deeper than the purely musical analysis but that's what Goa does for me, and I am eternally grateful for that.

On a more musical note I love the 'avalanche of melodies' the different layers create, which can put me in a very hypnotic/trancey/euphoric state. Man, I still remember the KICK I got out of listening to Filteria the first times!! My mind just soars to this music.

Melody + Psychedelicness + 4/4 Kickdrum = WIN

It was the genre which caught me off guard at the right moment with it's complexity, melodicness and danceability at the same time. I've listened to a lot of instrumental music (J.M. Jarre, Vangelis, Oldfield etc.) and some unspecified techno/dance genres. With goa, I got everything in one package :).

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I will admit that I usually don't dance when listening to Goa. I am usually either driving, sitting at home, or whatever. It's not that I don't feel the beat, it's just I don't feel like getting up or something like that.

I kinda second that. When they play goa at parties my dancing just naturally gets toned down. It's not that i don't like the music, i just find it much more enjoyable to dance to for dark for example.

I kinda second that. When they play goa at parties my dancing just naturally gets toned down. It's not that i don't like the music, i just find it much more enjoyable to dance to for dark for example.

it's exactly the opposite here. nothing gets me dancing like goa trance (execpt for maybe jungle when i first started listening to edm). the more or less constant bass drone of dark instead of the repetitive pulsing of a goa kickdrum makes me want to sit down.

When i was researching about magic i saw all kinds of magic works asking the practionners to do rituals : i never found any ritual that would please me to do. Then i realized that trance dances were just rituals like any others.... ohm magic dancing !

that there isn't one melodic line to hum along to but rather a whole landscape of sound to get lost in,

when that landscape gets so intense as to fill up and blow your mind (other kinds of music just concentrate on single aspects instead of doing this to the whole spectrum of possible music perception),

the general atmosphere: varied from mysterious to euphoric (but not cheesy) and still distinct,

and last but not least the 4/4 kick, which provides a climax about 145 times a minute (not unique to goa)

This

What really like is that it's not catchy, it doesn't get stuck in my head so it always sounds fresh when I listen to it.

• 2 weeks later...

This! And I'd add to it the great use of stereo effects and spacial sounds, that makes listening to goa on headphones a better experience too than most other electronic genres. And I'll second the great use of 303's - not used heavily as in Acid House but just as another melodic layer.