Somehow can't hear bass out of one ear

johnb820

So I was walking home from work today blasting Merr0w's Citrus Circus through my headphones and it was a really cold and windy day here in Buffalo. I started feeling my ears hurt from the cold as I had nothing to cover them, combined with potential tinnitus from the volume of the music and now I can't hear bass out of my right ear. I really hope I didn't permanently damage my ear as I now hear a low hum out the affected ear indicating that I did damage those nerve endings. It also feels like that ear is clogged. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so maybe some suggestions for trying to deal with it? I am really hoping I just ruptured it or messed up the natural fluids in the ear canal.

I olnly can think as far with your cncerm, that the ear is probably not damaged permanently, since it is common ears to reduce hearing ability under difficult envirenmental conditions or different conditions of pressure. The low hum can happen, when indeed it is very cold and the ear is very fragile and you turn loud music on it. The parts of the body, which are exposed to very cold temperatures are more stiff then in normal temperatures. You know that any material reacts like that, being more stiff in cold conditions so it can break more easily, the same is with the thin body parts we have, also the body parts exposed to cold temperatures have to be supplied with blood faster, meaning they are even more likely to be stiff and to be damaged.

My advice in this case is, read mroe in articles how this problem is caused and try the described procedures. If that doesn`t hel ypu, you will be best with going to the doctor. You can safely go to a doctor caring for the ears, it is not something connected with pain as doctors for other parts of the body.

A second advice from me is to not use in Ears. there are high quality earbuds, sounding as good as in ears costing 50 € or more and damaging the ears far less than in ears. Check out the Sennheiser MX 580 or KOSS KSC75, those earphones or clip ons have better soundquality than cheap in ears and damage the hearing much less than most kinds of in ears, except maybe special open designs with less isolation.

For those who don't have tinnitus, you guys are lucky. I've had it ever since I was 8-10 years old. I never really noticed it (and still don't really noticed it) but I always that there was some sort of background noise in the air until I later learned about tinnitus. But luckily, it's not that bad for me and I can still function musically.

Like I said before, it isn't usually bad. But sometimes when it's quiet in the house and I start thinking about it, I become aware of it's existence, and that ringing noise appears and bothers me all day until I listen to music, forget about it, and/or go asleep. But I do realize that in some cases it can bother people's life really badly. I'm usually careful when it comes to music volumes, so I'm not to worry about it.

• Like 1

You are probably experiencing a temporary threshold shift. I've never heard of anyone losing bass in one ear. I've heard of losing high end and notches but thats about it. Give it some time and rest and your ears will get better. Or, they wont.

Sucks how ears aren't improvable.

I'd recommend avoiding using earbuds.

After I overexposed myself to loud noise, my ears were sore for two weeks. Ever sense my ears have become sensitive and get sore easily.

Hmmm that sucks and would definitely be scary.. Maybe try at least ear drops or ear cleaning stuff just to be sure it's not blocked?

I am thankful I haven't done more damage to my ears and frankly I don't know how.. I have stupidly put my head against some huuuuge speaker stacks over time...

Left me with one ear slightly hearing lower volume than the other. Only just but I can notice or when I pull one headphone out :/

Learnt my lesson a bit late I think..

And yes ears can be damaged quite quickly actually :/

of course the best thing silence and time to regenerate, but vitamin b12 also helps (that's what they give you (as a highly dosed infusion) in hospital when you come there for sudden hearing loss). as i'm missing some high frequencies in the right ear and have a slight tinnitus in my left ear i take some vit. b12 tabs most of the time after a party or a concert. one important thing here is to take it in the first 24 hours.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, you too radi :). It seems to have gotten a little better since yesterday. I am pretty sure it was just a strange temporary pressure abnormality. It could have even happened just riding the subway home which causes all sort of pressure issues down in the tubes like being on an airplane where you are constantly trying to pop your ears. Combined with the high volume and cold weather messing with my sinuses it was probably nothing to worry about. It still scared the hell out me though because I am familiar with tinnitus and have lost quite a bit of hearing from rock concerts and clubs.

I am very pleased your ears are getting better. The extreme volume in clubs, concerts and on parties is one, if not the main reason why I don´t visit them. I care about my ears and think everyone should care. The volume in culbs and on parties is way too high and I want to tell a short stoy about that. Many years ago I was to a great party with my cousin and some other people. The music was good electronic music without vocals and very electronic in sound, it could have been progressive house or something similar. We stayed there two three hours, even met some girls we know, but then decided to go home. We did enjoy the party and wanted to stay but we, especially I could not withstand the high volume in the club. The volume was so extreme that when I was outside I noticed how I could not hear the people well anymore and was like I had high pressure on my ears. When I was outside it was just like in a descent with an airplane but stronger. Did I go in in the club I felt nothing of that and noticed, that the volume is so extreme, that even with my ears not allowing all noise it was still like the ears where fully open. I think anyone can imagine how high the volume was in that club and I advice anyone attending parties, to leave if the voule is so extreme.

I don´t know why the volume has to be so extreme. Isn`t it possible that the volume is less loud but the soundquality is impressive. For me soundquality is much more important than loudness. Incredible soundquality and the volume set to a level just loud enough to dance is much better than extreme volumes that will hurt your ears within minutes.

The reason why it's so loud in the clubs is because the regulars are already deaf, so they turn up the volume so that they can hear. Don't worry, just become a regular visitor of clubs, and you'll wont notice a thing ;):D:lol:

The reason why it's so loud in the clubs is because the regulars are already deaf, so they turn up the volume so that they can hear. Don't worry, just become a regular visitor of clubs, and you'll wont notice a thing ;):D:lol:

So they should measure the club volume with a db meter and adjust it to that. As far as I know db levels at 100 db are barable even for longer listening seasons.

have you tried earplugs radi?

they cannot turn the volume down unless they want to upset the dancers. you cannot have that kind of bass pressure that's imho an integral part of the trance dance experience at volumes that would suit you for listening in any setting outside a club or festival.

have you tried earplugs radi?

they cannot turn the volume down unless they want to upset the dancers. you cannot have that kind of bass pressure that's imho an integral part of the trance dance experience at volumes that would suit you for listening in any setting outside a club or festival.

I don`t think an ear killing volume is neccesarry to get to trance, that for sure is not the case. You have to mentally be prepared and allow body and soul to folat and get into trance, but for this you don`t need ear killing volume and bass, that almost can change the heart frequency. It is much better to use high quality audio systems that let you dive in the music, crystalclear sound, all details, that is what matters in my opinion. NOt extreme volumes, where you can`t enjoy the music anyway. With extreme volume you don`t hear the music, you hear hurting noise, that is all.

Earplugs are one possible way to reduce the volume artifically, but when I have to wear earplugs in a club, I don`t see why I should attend it. It is like having to wear a mask because of some bakteria in a café, not really my way of having fun in a club to be honest.

I have never been to a psy party and wished it were quieter that is for sure.

And Radi, I'm sure you are aware that a lot of psy sound techs take their gear pretttty seriously and are always pushing for that crystal clear sound you want. Combined with large bass as well of course.

There are of course systems, particularly

in-house stuff of actual clubs, that aren't tuned properly and just drown everything in bass volume.. But that is a separate issue to loudness in general..

Anyway, at your next party ask the sound guy to turn it down and see what happens, haha ;)

They look interesting. I've often read that to get a proper seal, one has to insert Etymotic in-ear-monitors so deeply into the earcanal, that they're rather painful to wear. How comfortable are these to use?

They are really comfortable. Don't need sticking too deep. however they come in one size only, so maybe there are just people with really large canals or they need a higher sound reduction.

For clubbing they are great but if you are a musician, DJ etc. while performing better to get a pair of custom molded ones. Real con is that they have those pointed endings so you usually get wanting/unwanting attention (depends on a person really :lol:) some will think that you are deaf and wearing hearing aid, and others will consider it to be a fasion accessory of some kind etc. again if you don't want attention, or want higher or more linear reduction better to get custom molded ones