Dubstep in Psytrance?

pixiejanet

Not a huge fan byt Insector & the new Khaos Sektor album had some fun glitchy dubstep breakdowns that had the kind of bass that was almost the brown note. I know not many here seem to like the glitchy style but those two nail it for sure. Insector's last 2 albums is really fun with actual melodies in them. I don't mind dubstep, the proper stuff not the bro step but for sure it really for me does not suit the psychedelic vibe, although proper dub for sure can be a trip and also Ott I am sure cna do it but for me not a fan of his style.

well, he does look like slow motion most of the time; and i bet he could dance to cbl in the same way ;)

Yeah, some of those dancers doing electro boogie with lots of locking aren't even listen to the rhythm, just doing their routine, so even classical music won't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

i was at a party yesterday and now can understand all the hate for dubstep. they advertised the party as psytrance (progressive and fullon), but i could hardly recognize it as such in those moments when it actually had some reseblance to psy.

wtf is wrong with those people?

most of the time what i heard was like 20 seconds psy kick+bass, followed by 20 seconds break followed by 20 seconds of dubstep and repeat. how are you supposed to dance to that music? let alone trance dance? and indeed the people (at least those who weren't obviously on mdma or something similar) were dancing for the 20s then stood around, bobbed their heads a bit and waited for the next proper "psy" sequence. and even for those sequences the only thing "psy" about them was speak samples like "i need drugs" and some delay on the dubstep wobbles that appeared every now and then. i kid you not, about one third of the "psy" sequences even had at most 3 kickdrums before one was replaced by dubstep wobbles! K-bbK-bbK-wobwob-K-bbK-bbK-wubwub-K-bbK-bbK-wowowop-K-....

:o what have they done?

it was as if i went to a nice restaurant, ordered a chicken vindaloo with some nan, but instead of serving me what i ordered the waiters serve me a bowl of vomit, then crawl on the table and proceed to use this bowl as a toilet.

i'd rather dance to nhjo hyennro playing his christmas carrols playing on repeat with him singing alongside than listening to this crap.

the non-dubstep rest of the music was either rather like Perplex vs. Intersys - Glorious Times or just like 10 reaons why psytrance has become shit. i've heard multiple tracks that had bass parts which were identical in structure to loud's video, just with different fx and spech samples. people, it's a satire that condenses the most-used cheap tricks into one short track, it's not a template!

i still cannot believe it. i guess that's what you get for only going to carefully selected events with artists you know in the last 2 years...

sorry for the rant and a big thank you to everyone on here who knows what psytrance is all about (and who can tell therefore the difference between psy and what i descibed above) and an extra special thank you to everyone who is actively involed in keeping this great music alive.

• Like 1

why all the hate? at least dubstep is infinitely better than minimal ;)

:o Not to my ears!

I don't mind some of the softer side of dubstep absorbed into chill & dub, like Globular and Ott have done, but I detest the screeching, glitchey stuff.

I certainly don't like dubstep ( or any kind of breakbeat tbh) dropped into psytrance sets. There's nothing that ruins the flow and vibe more to my mind, especially if you're tripping. I've had to leave the main floor at a party because someone started dropping glitchy breaks and it really unsettled me. I like the warm massage of psytrance on the odd occasion that I take anything these days, not spikey uncomfortable harshness.

Everything is better than minimal.

I actually minimal and dubstep :o

Minimal is like a soft trip, almost ignorable while being totally engrossing.

Nice aggressive dubstep can really be nice when I'm really pissed off.

:o Not to my ears!

I don't mind some of the softer side of dubstep absorbed into chill & dub, like Globular and Ott have done, but I detest the screeching, glitchey stuff.

I certainly don't like dubstep ( or any kind of breakbeat tbh) dropped into psytrance sets. There's nothing that ruins the flow and vibe more to my mind, especially if you're tripping. I've had to leave the main floor at a party because someone started dropping glitchy breaks and it really unsettled me. I like the warm massage of psytrance on the odd occasion that I take anything these days, not spikey uncomfortable harshness.

I don't understand the softer dubstep, it just doesn't sit right in my head. Most dubstep I've been recommended I've been unable to tell apart from techno but I occasionally here brutal shit that just rips us apart but can never find it online :(

Minimal is like a soft trip, almost ignorable while being totally engrossing.

i find it rather boring, but not at all ignorable with those horribly annoying glitchy blips that are present in every track. but at least minimal-influenced psy isn't necessarily ruining the flow and could be danced to.

i have researched a bit this weekend and found this:

it's not quite as bad as most of the stuff i heard on that party, but still it masterfully combines everything i hate about these new kinds of "psy". it has the minimal blips, dubstep parts, dubstep wobbles in the place of kickdrums, pointless glitchy stuff instead of psychedelic sounds, plus it uses most of the cheap tricks from the 10 reasons video and all that in a track that's not even 8 minutes long. please that me that it's a satire, please! this makes all the cheesy formulaic fullon from around 2008 sound like etnica's trip tonite in comparison. i sincerely feel sorry for the young people who just recently discovered the genre and are not only missing out on goa trance parties, but also on psy parties that deserve that name.

i was at a party yesterday and now can understand all the hate for dubstep. they advertised the party as psytrance (progressive and fullon), but i could hardly recognize it as such in those moments when it actually had some reseblance to psy.

wtf is wrong with those people?

most of the time what i heard was like 20 seconds psy kick+bass, followed by 20 seconds break followed by 20 seconds of dubstep and repeat. how are you supposed to dance to that music? let alone trance dance? and indeed the people (at least those who weren't obviously on mdma or something similar) were dancing for the 20s then stood around, bobbed their heads a bit and waited for the next proper "psy" sequence. and even for those sequences the only thing "psy" about them was speak samples like "i need drugs" and some delay on the dubstep wobbles that appeared every now and then. i kid you not, about one third of the "psy" sequences even had at most 3 kickdrums before one was replaced by dubstep wobbles! K-bbK-bbK-wobwob-K-bbK-bbK-wubwub-K-bbK-bbK-wowowop-K-....

:o what have they done?

it was as if i went to a nice restaurant, ordered a chicken vindaloo with some nan, but instead of serving me what i ordered the waiters serve me a bowl of vomit, then crawl on the table and proceed to use this bowl as a toilet.

i'd rather dance to nhjo hyennro playing his christmas carrols playing on repeat with him singing alongside than listening to this crap.

the non-dubstep rest of the music was either rather like Perplex vs. Intersys - Glorious Times or just like 10 reaons why psytrance has become shit. i've heard multiple tracks that had bass parts which were identical in structure to loud's video, just with different fx and spech samples. people, it's a satire that condenses the most-used cheap tricks into one short track, it's not a template!

i still cannot believe it. i guess that's what you get for only going to carefully selected events with artists you know in the last 2 years...

sorry for the rant and a big thank you to everyone on here who knows what psytrance is all about (and who can tell therefore the difference between psy and what i descibed above) and an extra special thank you to everyone who is actively involed in keeping this great music alive.

Thank you. :) No need to apologize, you said it way better than I ever could. :)

i find it rather boring, but not at all ignorable with those horribly annoying glitchy blips that are present in every track. but at least minimal-influenced psy isn't necessarily ruining the flow and could be danced to.

i have researched a bit this weekend and found this:

it's not quite as bad as most of the stuff i heard on that party, but still it masterfully combines everything i hate about these new kinds of "psy". it has the minimal blips, dubstep parts, dubstep wobbles in the place of kickdrums, pointless glitchy stuff instead of psychedelic sounds, plus it uses most of the cheap tricks from the 10 reasons video and all that in a track that's not even 8 minutes long. please that me that it's a satire, please! this makes all the cheesy formulaic fullon from around 2008 sound like etnica's trip tonite in comparison. i sincerely feel sorry for the young people who just recently discovered the genre and are not only missing out on goa trance parties, but also on psy parties that deserve that name.

Captain Hook is the perfect example of the dubstep influences I absolutely dislike. Your descprition fits perfectly so I don't need to add anything to it. What really bothers me is that crap like that gets released on one of my former favourites Label. Iboga used to have awesome releases with really psychedelic music. How I feel also back in the days Iboga implented artists with influences from outside the psy Scene. They also released some prog house for example, but stuff that rocked. While their Music nowadays sounds like generic crap with commercial influences. I can accept that there are strains in psy that are just not my cup of tea. But I have to say I have a hard time accepting if those strains are so far away from being psychedelic.

totally agree about iboga. for me they lost their respect when they started to release all that more-minimal-than-psy stuff. what worries me is that iono, which has up to around 2 years ago been a sort-of bastion of real psy prog, is also slowly moving into that direction. are there any labels that still only release quality progressive without anything minimal- or dubstep-like?

I can't name a label anymore that has more quality than bad releases. Not only because of the dubstep and minimal influences but also because lots of regular prog releases sound way to similar to actually move me. Spintwist still has some good stuff released (for my taste that is) but that's about it when it comes to prog. I hardy buy psy albums anymore and turned to progressive house and techno instead. As sad as it is...

what kind of techno? as far as i have noticed "regular" techno has almost completely been eaten up by minimal, at least in my area, and even the producers/djs that used to be big back then now just do minimal...

i have just listened to the latest compilation from panzar productionz and even there two of the tracks have the unnerving popcorn lead that minimal techno has brought to every kind of edm. that really surprises me, as they're after a early 00s necton/s-range type sound...

but does anyone here actualy like those minimal-like popcorn/blip samples? i'd really be interested on why you think they're great. there must be people who think that they're totally awesome, otherwise they wouldn't be in most of the tracks released today. so if you're one of those people, please explain it to me.

after all the darkpsyheads did a similar thing some time ago making me understand (but not like ;) ) their kind of music, and you wouldn't want to admit that darkpsy is understandably better than your favourite music, would you? ;)

The melodic kind. But sometimes the genres are not easy to tell appart to be honest. Is it progressive house, tech house, Techno?! Stuff like that for example: Vincent Leijen - Rosette (Original Mix); Ramon Zenker - Xylopia; Gabriel Ananda - Let It In And Let It Out; Boss Axis - Even Temper.

Can you name a typical minimal track so I can check it out. I'm not sure if the stuff that is called here is the same stuff you are talking about (but I can allready imagine how it sounds and I kinda guess it is the same).

The melodic kind. But sometimes the genres are not easy to tell appart to be honest. Is it progressive house, tech house, Techno?! Stuff like that for example: Vincent Leijen - Rosette (Original Mix); Ramon Zenker - Xylopia; Gabriel Ananda - Let It In And Let It Out; Boss Axis - Even Temper.

Can you name a typical minimal track so I can check it out. I'm not sure if the stuff that is called here is the same stuff you are talking about (but I can allready imagine how it sounds and I kinda guess it is the same).

aww, i hoped you'd have a similar taste in techno and could give me some recommendations ;).

i'm not very knowledgable on the genre and most tracks i listened to on youtube now sound more like house than the sound they usually play at the clubs over here. so this is the closest approximation i could find:

i realize that minimal techno is a very blurry term. for instance plastikman's music which sounds totally different is clearly minimal techno (and i wouldn't call the new kind of "minimal techno" techno at all if that name wasn't so widespread. i'd call it glitch house ;) ). i guess it's similar to how the dubstep stood for for drum'n'bass with dubby basslines and some delay fx was around here in the early 00s.

If you like that sound I would recommeond to check out my mixes: www.soundcloud.com/djnaudiophil It's a mixture between techno, tech-house and progressive. I also posted the tracklists to some you can check out the artists if you like them. And now enough with the shamless self-promotion. ;)

Ok, I can imagine what kind of minimal you mean. Not my cup of tea either. I mean the effects itself could be nice if you use them in a regular techno track but just a beat and those beeps and clicks don't do the trick to me.