Psychedelic Moog

Balance

So yeah I've got a Moog Sub Phatty but I rarely hear Moog sound in much Goa/Psy trance, admitelly I listen to only the 90's stuff really.

Any known artists that have the Moog sound? Is it just me or was it mainly Roland & Nord that were predominant in early style?

My tunes are full of Moog Slim Phatty and Minitaur sounds (and Moogerfoogers).

But I am not known.

Here's a tune where 80% of the sounds are the Slim Phatty with moogefoogers (including the kick). I did it as an experiment to see how far I can go with a limited (in terms of modulation) synth, like the Slim Phatty.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts/martian-arts-grey-area-demo

Moog has some brilliant cheap synths around nowdays. Cheaper than a good condition Roland SH-101.

My tunes are full of Moog Slim Phatty and Minitaur sounds (and Moogerfoogers).

But I am not known.

Here's a tune where 80% of the sounds are the Slim Phatty with moogefoogers (including the kick). I did it as an experiment to see how far I can go with a limited (in terms of modulation) synth, like the Slim Phatty.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts/martian-arts-grey-area-demo

Moog has some brilliant cheap synths around nowdays. Cheaper than a good condition Roland SH-101.

That sounds quite good considering how most of it was made. How long did it take to make a track like that?

Nice set up, how does the nord sound? I want something "trancey" to go with my Sub Phatty & Nord Lead 2x is going cheap new here.

I just use a soundcard/audio input device for now but as I can see more gear coming might consider a small mixer in the future.

I record them through my soundcard. One at a time.

Nice set up, how does the nord sound? I want something "trancey" to go with my Sub Phatty & Nord Lead 2x is going cheap new here.

I just use a soundcard/audio input device for now but as I can see more gear coming might consider a small mixer in the future.

If it isn't too much to ask, how is this done exactly?

I just send MIDI from my DAW to the synth I want to sequence, then go from the audio outs of the synth to the audio inputs of my soundcard, record enable a track to monitor what I am doing, build the patch exactly as I want to and when ready, press record and thats it.

Mono synths cover the mono sounds. Then depending on what stereo image I have available (and what is going on in that particular part of the track) I might just record the synth in mono and leave it in the centre (if there are other stereo sounds layered at that part). I might record the synth through the Moog MF-103 and bi-phase that give a nice liquid and moving stereo image, or I might record through the Moog MF-108 that has the wet effect, out of phase on one output and have a stereo image that feels further wider than where the monitors are placed....or I might just double track the mono synth and pan left/right the two channels. Playing with the stereo image like this give a wide track and helps with mixdowns as if you have to have sounds that are clashing in frequency and timing, you can put them in a different position in the stereo image to achieve definition. Also using different reverbs and put them in different "rooms" helps the brain identify them easier.

Oh well thanks for the help! I've had my synth for a while now, but haven't done much music producing, mostly fooling around with the settings for hours. I've recently did a sort of a dub/downtempo track but sadly didn't have it recorded. Looks like I'll have to bring out my dusty pc which I've haven't touched in a year ever since I got a laptop from a friend.