E-Mantra - Nemesis (Suntrip Records) - jan 2014

Arcana has strong atmosphere, moving soundscape textures, and dynamic mid/downtempo transitional interludes that were great! Some songs though, or rather some song segments grew repetitive I felt. Also the debut lacked strong synth leads (though Dansul lelelor was really great) and one track early on has howling that always seemed random to me. Nonetheless, Arcana is intriguing along with the last two down or mid-tempo tracks and showcases some superb work.

Pathfinder added some cool synth leads, but virtually no mid/downtempo interludes (praised on the debut). It had some powerful moments and songs, but lacked the absorbing atmospheric and moving soundscape textures that helped make the first album so immersive and unique. The last two psyambient-influenced tracks were solid, except for a strange baby-shriek sound in Deep Descent that distracted from the whole IMO.

Nemesis seems to improve on the shortcomings of the second, and will hopefully be his best release to date. I hope that every song is engaging, vastly different, characteristic, visionary and dynamic. Kind of like Filteria's 2009 and 2013 albums. More memorable synth leads (like Filteria does but in E-Mantra style) combined with atmosphere, moving soundscape textures (like the first album in concept), complexity, emotion and depth is welcome. And how about some super songs? I like when the songs keep my attention throughout and get better as they progress. Two recent album examples of this:

- Filteria - LOST IN THE WILD

- Juno Reactor's GOLDEN SUN OF THE GREAT EAST (among others)

• 3 weeks later...

lol, even more delay, we had a mail from Arabesque, the release date will be the 30th of january... Bleh :P

Jos, could you maybe add a pre-order option to your shop?

I'd like to buy E-mantra + Cosmic Dimension + MR2 + Ra Unearthly, but I'm afraid if I wait until 30th Jan some of them might be gone. If I could buy those three in stock, pay for preorder of E-Mantra and have you shipping all 4 when the latter becomes available, that would be perfect.

It will be there this weekend! :)

As for Antic: The MR2 are sold out, the others are aside for you. :)

Thanks, will make the order the moment E-mantra shows up :)

Can't wait to listen to it (+ other CDs I ordered alongside it).

Also, thanks Jos for putting aside a copy of MR2 for me - I'm glad I can support Suntrip! :)

I have to say that E-Mantra reached a new level with this one. It has the typical E-Mantra sound, but it's as crystal clear as it can be...Goa Trance on the darker side, full of details waiting to be discovered, hailing from outer space and somewhat sinister. Awesome work!

Dark? More or less IMO. Dark for me is Botfb, Xenomorph, etc. Regardless, full of details and stuff waiting to be discovered, I agree. And did you see the light crystals on the album's cover? :blush:

Nemesis is overall more interesting, imaginative, and atmospheric than Emanuel's second album that had elements of greatness. The songs generally develop and evolve more than they did on the debut too; Dansul Icelelor however was THE uptempo exception for me on Arcana. It developed wonderfully from start to finish.

Although I already am forming my favourites in Nemesis, the synth work in the opening track really snuck up on me. The Entity is unquestionably the best opening track on an E-Mantra (Psy/Goa) album to date IMO. It has a real fantasy edge coupled with immersive atmosphere, soundscape/melody synth work. The second song I find less dynamic and varied with ideas but it's still good. After that the album boosts greatness again for me.

Nemesis captures the essence of E-Mantra and showcases some of Emanuel's best work to date. I'm sure we'll read more from each other soon in inevitable review thread.

• 2 weeks later...