The Gap between Filteria and other goa artists is huge...

Shpongled247

my favourite of the neogoa artists are Artha and Artifact303.

Filteria is incredibly talented, and his set at Ozora 2011 was one of my favourites of the festival. but i feel the above mentioned artists make music which appeals to me slightly more

it is strange that (arguably) no neogoa has quite captured the magic of original goa.

I guess I have to check out Goasia... I read the name a few times before, but they never really made it to my ears. :D

I have to say, for me Lost in the Wild is a bit above the rest of the genre as well. Patience for Heaven is really good too and comes very close for me, but everything else I've heard so far doesn't. In fact the only other remotely more recent album that came close was probably Steamagination, even though it is completely different from the Filteria or Mindsphere sound. Steamagination could probably be called neo-oldschool-psy if that genre existed, but I was (and still am) really impressed by it.

it is strange that (arguably) no neogoa has quite captured the magic of original goa.

I don't think this is possible at all. If, hypothetically speaking, something like IFO or The Lone Deranger, or whatever really big classic album, wasn't made back then and would have been produced and released just recently, it still wouldn't give me the magic feeling of the original goa. It's not 1996 (+/- whatever) anymore, I am different, the people are different, the music at large is different, the moment 2013 just feels entirely different from the moment 1996 and in this context nothing can make the impact it would have made, had it been released in 1996. And I'm not necessarily talking about the amount/quantity of impact, but actually more about the quality of impact. Old school goa was magical as a whole for me, not one single release was magical on its own. They all were special in the context they provided for each other.

haven't you been to samsara festival (on the sonnenklang venue) at few years back? they played an excellent closing set there :)

No, I never attended Samsara festival. My only slightly bigger festivals ever were the Sonnenklang and Spirit Base 2004 or 2005 and then Spiritbase 2010 and 2011, I think.

Goasia's newer stuff after their 2nd album is somehow worse than their older stuff. :/ Not sure what went wrong with them there. Also they are on equal level with other 2nd tier artists to my ears.

Really? I thought their 2nd album was just as good as their first and even a bit better.

you make some good points Trancenonsendance, i agree that subjectivity definitely enters into it.

i wasn't listening to dance music until 2001 or so, and psy was already "modern" (though still very different to today). goa was the first genre i fell in love with, and classics like Cosmology, Pleidians etc were definitely magical to me even without the culture and resonance of the "goa period"

i tend to think music technology has forever altered the way tracks sound, and more importantly how they are made. i don't think Man With No Name would sound the same if he made his tracks using modern technology. there was an insane hardware/groovebox feel to his songs which went beyond the sound and into the patterns and mentality behind the structures.

i don't wish to take anything away from neo-goa, some of these guys are making the most beautiful and complex dance music currently released. but to my ears there is always something that separates it from classic goa. personally I find that Artha does the best job of summoning the old magic

Here's my thoughts on this subject...

Filteria is regarded one of the leading neo-goa artists out there and that's a deserved spot I reckon. He's done this music for more than 10 years and has progressed to a mature artist. He gets my respect for sounding like no one else; no he doesn't sound like Etnica at all to my ears, although admittedly there's a lot of same gear in the production.

I've always wanted to give him a fair chance on each new album, as I know he has the right tools to do wonders and push the envelope for modern day goa. Unfortunately, when speaking in subjective terms, I find that he never quite achieved the ear for melody I was hoping for. He would've already if it was meant to, but I think me and him just fancy different approach to melodic arrangements. I don't want to put him down, but the sound reminds of those 70's psyrock jams where some acidhead is twisting the synth knobs to a beat with the intention to create variety and three dimensional atmosphere, but ultimately failing to mold a sincere emotion in the track to make it open up for human heart. He did some great melodies a couple times (e.g. the ending melody on 'Birds Lingua Franca') but usually ends up sounding technical and unfocused a tad too much.

Yup, that's why I said After their 2nd album ;)

A damn I am stupid, I somehow missed that and just read newer stuff which I thought implied anything after the first album. I haven't heard anything else from them besides their two albums so I can't say if I agree or not. I guess I should check that out.

Here's my thoughts on this subject...

Filteria is regarded one of the leading neo-goa artists out there and that's a deserved spot I reckon. He's done this music for more than 10 years and has progressed to a mature artist. He gets my respect for sounding like no one else; no he doesn't sound like Etnica at all to my ears, although admittedly there's a lot of same gear in the production.

I've always wanted to give him a fair chance on each new album, as I know he has the right tools to do wonders and push the envelope for modern day goa. Unfortunately, when speaking in subjective terms, I find that he never quite achieved the ear for melody I was hoping for. He would've already if it was meant to, but I think me and him just fancy different approach to melodic arrangements. I don't want to put him down, but the sound reminds of those 70's psyrock jams where some acidhead is twisting the synth knobs to a beat with the intention to create variety and three dimensional atmosphere, but ultimately failing to mold a sincere emotion in the track to make it open up for human heart. He did some great melodies a couple times (e.g. the ending melody on 'Birds Lingua Franca') but usually ends up sounding technical and unfocused a tad too much.

I basically agree completely. I really enjoy the tracks but almost in a Jazzy, improvisational melody way, there's certainly no big hooks like Teleport or something.