The Gap between Filteria and other goa artists is huge...

Shpongled247

To my ears, that is.. Specially after Lost In The Wild. The gap between Filteria production and musicality wise to every other neo goa artist is just simply massive..

I mean no disrespect by that, and if you know me you know I love a lot of neo goa, but frankly if I'm being honest this last album has just increased his point of difference tenfold.

The sheer polish and detail displayed I have found almost overwhelming given almost a hundred listens now.. No other goa artist of recent times has captured this kind of attention from me..

It seems there is a clear and distinct Tier One (Jannis) and Tier 2 and 3 level artists.. (Everyone else) heh.. Again I mean no disrespect, it's just me being honest.

What say you guys and why might it be like this? Obviously Jannis is talented, perhaps he is just a freak of nature and even more talented than we first thought?

i agree completley.

everything with this album is perfect, mastering included

the bar has been raised big time with this, and after hearing all the hype etc, had big expectations, and they def met

if you listen to all filteria albums, from sky to lost, has been such a evolution, personally i have never liked his first, just didn't get it

cannot get enough of lost, will be album of the year by a landslide i reckon.

like i said, bar has been raised, and noted by all am sure.

thankyou jannis, and suntrip you have pulled off a stunner!

I don't know, he's focusing on some other things in his tunes than majority of the goa artists, maybe that's why. I don't feel the gap, maybe because he's not my precious one (although I like his stuff aswell ;) ), to me artists like Crossing Mind, Mindsphere or Portamento are in the same league.

I do like the new Fileria album, but for me it's a little too busy.

I prefer Nebula Meltdown's Stardust Chronicles tbh.

Indeed it is a bit too busy but that is the case with many newschool albums, it is a general characteristic of neogoa.

I do not agree, like PTN already mentioned, I think artists like crossing mind, mindsphere, e-mantra, portamento and Ra are definitely in the same league.

There is no doubt that his latest album is a top class, something that we can say that raised a bit bar and established new standards for Goa trance genre nowdays. But you must be aware that he has been in serious music production under Filteria name for 10 years (correct me if i'm wrong) and during that period of time he released 4 albums (i love them all, each got something that makes me play it again), but sound on a new album isn't something that comes just like that, i mean there is ofcourse a talent, but also a lot of experience and i think that biggest factor in whole story is the fact that he recognized all the good elements from his previous releases and implement them into a new record with a pinch of his creativity towards the new sound. Filteria is amazing indeed and he got my respect for being one of the guys who actually care about the details, production and who is actually investing in music.

But on the other hand, there is a matter of style and taste also. Personally I know couple of people who don't like Filteria sound that much and who prefer more floating/deep/spiritual Goa such as Ra or Mindsphere. I also know people who enjoy a lot more darker/acidic stuff such as Portamento, etc. And that's OK. I agree with you that he's very talented and innovative goa maker, but i find some other artists to be also in the same league. For example in my case Ra's 9th is still unbeatable goa trance album of new generation and I can't wait to check their new album in 2014. Also, Mindsphere gave mo so much great moments and memories with his music. Old Lost Buddha/Amithaba Buddha music is still one of my all time favorites, etc.

The good thing is that we got people who are making something special and pushing the boundaries in new directions, and complete scene got benefits from it.

The album is on youtube, I listened to it yesterday. It is the 1st time I do like a Filteria album, I thought the sound was more mature and more acid, which I like. His previous albums are for me nearly unlistenable but this one seems to be way easier to digest. Really nice work!

(OT)

The good thing is that we got people who are making something special and pushing the boundaries in new directions, and complete scene got benefits from it.

...and that's why I thank You for BlackStarrFinale's debut album ;).

I think Lost In The Wild is his best album to date. The production is simply sick! I've had a hard time digest his earlier album but this is great stuff. Sometimes a little to noisy/layered for me but what are you gonna do.

Really good work I must say.

Dog Days Bliss is pure joy.

(OT)

...and that's why I thank You for BlackStarrFinale's debut album ;).

You're welcome, even tho all the credits goes to Luis for being dedicated to his sound and for being loyal to our label since the day one. He is indeed on of the few who dare to experiment with the music and to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Even if the new album of Filteria is stellar, and for sure his best to date... I think other artists are "on par" with him... It depends on what style of goa you like imo... You have the morning trancers, the euphoria maniacs, the acidic darker lovers and the ones that like fat climaxes that drive you crazy... Filteria is for sure the 4th category, and is for sure the best within that sound imo :) For other styles you have other "masters" :) Just my 0.02

He is on the frontier for sure but I don't see that much of a departure from nebula meltdown or some of the zion604 stuff. Even with all of his improvement, Filteria still struggles with composition.... you know those cheesy melodies ....

Some really nice replies here, Richpa and Joske some great points of course! :)

I didn't expect everyone to agree and it is probably that, for me, Filteria's style has been my favourite for quite some time and if you didn't dig it before you might not grasp the intricacies of the evolution that has happened here.

Of course there are variations and sub genres within the genre but, overall, discarding all that, is just how I feel. Others may be "masters" of their niche sure, but for me nothing comes close to these essence of goa trance that Jannis has managed to capture and develop over time.

Radi, I was trying not to compare specific artists and I don't want to as their are a lotttttt of neogoa artists I love, just not on the same level for me. I'm glad you like e mantra though and hope you enjoy his new album. :)

Every new album it felt like Filteria was ahead of the curve and so it continues with the latest one. The production is generally better than the rest of goa at the time it comes out I feel.

I'm glad he went back to the roots and dropped the mid-tempo style.

I would agree that he is ahead of the curve, leading edge, but not as much as you seem to perceive it. There's plenty of releases that have very notable tracks and top of the line production.

The only thing holding him back in my eyes is the fact you can find all these similarities with old school tracks, and sometimes they're a little too apparent.

Some really nice replies here, Richpa and Joske some great points of course! :)

I didn't expect everyone to agree and it is probably that, for me, Filteria's style has been my favourite for quite some time and if you didn't dig it before you might not grasp the intricacies of the evolution that has happened here.

Of course there are variations and sub genres within the genre but, overall, discarding all that, is just how I feel. Others may be "masters" of their niche sure, but for me nothing comes close to these essence of goa trance that Jannis has managed to capture and develop over time.

Radi, I was trying not to compare specific artists and I don't want to as their are a lotttttt of neogoa artists I love, just not on the same level for me. I'm glad you like e mantra though and hope you enjoy his new album. :)

i agreed with you because i have never been a huge fan, with heliopolis being my favorite to date, daze was ok, but the difference between that album and this is monsterous in every way, and has made me wake up,

nice one jannis

thankyou for your efforts for this,

Even if the new album of Filteria is stellar, and for sure his best to date... I think other artists are "on par" with him... It depends on what style of goa you like imo... You have the morning trancers, the euphoria maniacs, the acidic darker lovers and the ones that like fat climaxes that drive you crazy... Filteria is for sure the 4th category, and is for sure the best within that sound imo :) For other styles you have other "masters" :) Just my 0.02

Yep I agree with that completely. I like Filteria and he makes amazing music in that style, but when it comes to goa I'm firmly in the "acidic darker" lovers category so Filteria isn't my favorite. I listen to more non-goa psy than I listen to goa too.

I love many of the neo-goa stuff, including Filteria. But I feel that Goasia is on the top along with Filteria. When I first heard Goasia, it was like I discovered Goa all over again.

listened to lots of filteria!!! owning also one cd 'sky input'

so i'll post my 2cents.

filteria has potential, has skills in sound engineering and composition, i like the fx, the bass, the arrangements,

But one thing is missing for my taste and musical perception (as most of the neogoa stuff)

Best track for me by him,

-with great structure->amazing percussion,

-great buildup -> focusing in certain elements through the track, and not blending lots of thick layers, the layers are actually well melting together, giving more value and edge to each other

-great atmosphere->love the pads and the little lead keys over and there, and

-a captivating melody!!!

is the following :

I love many of the neo-goa stuff, including Filteria. But I feel that Goasia is on the top along with Filteria. When I first heard Goasia, it was like I discovered Goa all over again.

Goa sia is very good and I think he is better than Filteria, but that is taste. Filteria is a skilled artist in what he is doing but to me the music is a bit bright. The layers have many high frequencies and sound too saturated, but that again is typical for newschool goa trance.