promo downloads

goa pride

For fame. For thrills. For being a part of the scene where practically everything is available from day zero (or earlier). Typically they insist that their releases are for the inner scene alone, where everybody is expected to contribute somehow. Eventual leaking to casual freeloaders is seen as a neutral or negative by-product. By the time a release hits p2p or whateverupload.com, it's already past its prime.

As there is no real coordination, the motives of individual contributors are varied. Some probably just enjoy the quick access to everything. Others claim the system is for getting a chance to try before you buy, or for archiving everything. Then there's the "information should free" / "it's only a copy" argument. Or "stick it to the man" attitude (although in reality everything is released, down to tiny labels and home-made CDs). Nevertheless, one of the greatest driving forces is the 15 minutes of fame for being the first to release something. The runner-up is ridiculed. Groups really spend plenty of time and money to achieve that for no direct, tangible benefit. Kinda weird but if you take a look around, people everywhere are doing even weirder stuff for the same goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_scene

Do you know they really pay for the releases?

I remember the case with the S-Range album, years ago, that never got released on the market ... well, it got released over one of these warez groups. I doubt they were paying for this piece as it wasn't available anywhere.

Labels usually give out some promos ... and these, I thought, then end up on the net under one of the aforementioned names. I doubt that they were paid for -- or well, at least most of them...

In any way, even if they were paid or not, the moment you download one and don't own a copy by having bought it, you steal...

Problem is, nowadays you don't even need these warez distributors anymore ... people upload it to youtube anyway.

And it's still stealing. Yet I admit, I too listen to stuff on youtube. Earlier there was still the "barrier" to download the thing via p2p and such ... now most is just a click away. Bad times for labels. Fortunately the youtube stuff sometimes has poor quality, so there's at least one thing that you don't get.

When there's a race for speed, rarity and general exclusivity, all sources are exploited. Just look at the movie release scene. They use camcorders in cinemas, promo DVDs, premium channels, hotel movie services, Asian street discs and whatnot. There are even several cases of workprint copies leaked from studio's internal post-production. Those definitely weren't bought from any legit source.

Plenty of minus-day game releases have been sourced from store back rooms, review copies or directly from the studios. You can probably guess where this is going when we return to CDs. Then again, some groups release stuff like out-of-print 90s vinyls so at least someone had to buy them first. There's no single route and I can't even guess, what would be the ratio between different sources.

i-blame-mycel-gents-tee-0.png

Problem is, nowadays you don't even need these warez distributors anymore ... people upload it to youtube anyway.

And it's still stealing.

Not always - bear in mind that many of the uploads on YT are by artists or labels themselves.

These groups never "uploaded for free as mp3" any material. The music is supposed to stay in a closed circle (but it always spreads eventually, despite the groups' efforts). The philosophy behind it is a mix of "try before buy" and many other things that may seem quite weird for a digital consumer of the XXIst century :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_scene]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_scene]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_scene

Why? Because there is a demand for pirated files, whether it's right or wrong.

Totally wrong.

For fame. For thrills. For being a part of the scene where practically everything is available from day zero (or earlier).

[...]

Others claim the system is for getting a chance to try before you buy, or for archiving everything.

Right, that's the philosophy of "the scene(s)". And all these people are Psy fans, they don't intent on making money from their "releases".

More and more actually. With digital stuff they almost have no other choice anyway.

I think some years ago, some group was supplied by someone working in a shop, I mean, it was too obvious.

But now, suppliers are either close to labels (when not within), or are fast enough to buy the actual CD before everyone else and "release" it to the mp3 scene.

That said, times are changing, people consume the music in a complete different way now than only a few years ago (eg Youtube), and I wonder what kind of "response" this very very conservative scene will find...

Not always - bear in mind that many of the uploads on YT are by artists or labels themselves.

That is increasingly true.

I was, however, thinking in the direction of certain "full album" videos. I doubt many of them are officially supported.

But anyway, I think the future of the scene will be even more openness to the digital world, meaning lots of stuff available for free. The money is not to be found in the CD (or pay-per-download) department anymore anyway, but rather in the live business (at least, if anywhere). Prices of festivals and parties might probably rise, but not only because of that.

And is mycel really to blame for that?

Maybe they'll also try to increase the physical release's attractiveness further through limitation and packaging with interesting artwork or other goods (like it's the case where they issue a "standard release" and a "limited edition"). I think they should ... I'd not be unhappy if the times of just having a CD and a two page booklet are traded for more attractive packaging -- that would also help the music (physical release) regain its status as a work of art ... I would even be happy if they brought vinyl back, I feel like vinyls were treated with more dignity...

What do you mean? Want to explain? :)

Music is considered intellectual property which implies that replicating and sharing it is a form of theft. Such theft is frowned upon because it makes it almost impossible to be a self sufficient artist. Side effects of the digital age if you will.

he either meant that my comment "there is a demand for pirated files" is false or was just saying that the act of pirating files itself is wrong/bad, referring to my quote "whether it's right or wrong".

I assumed he meant the second one.

Hmm, I think there has been a little misunderstanding. I was wondering what he was referring to when he said "totally wrong" - he either meant that my comment "there is a demand for pirated files" is false or was just saying that the act of pirating files itself is wrong/bad, referring to my quote "whether it's right or wrong".

gotcha. Its hard to argue that the demand is wrong....