Choice of cans.

Bacca

Hello, im looking for a new couple of cans, and would like to know what type of cans you like.

So what kind of cans do you prefer for your psy/goa/chill or whatever you listen to?

Circumaural (closed-back) or Supra-aural (open-backed)?

I heard that many people like the open-backed cans best for all kind of music, but i thought for psy maybe the closed-backed one can be better because they sealing off the outside world? But the open ones give the impression that sound is coming from around you?

And if you can recommend any cans? I got a budget of ~200E

I've been looking for a couples do you have any input about those?

http://www.thomann.de/se/akg_k701.htm Open-backed, very popular cans, heard much good thing about these ones.

http://www.thomann.de/se/sennheiser_hd25_c_ii.htm Closed-backed, heard much positive stuff about these too.

So have you tried any of this cans and which would you pick, or would you pick some other cans?

I'm also gonna get a sound card for my pc. https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/#overview

Anyone got that sound card, i reckon it's good?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Bacca,

Supraaural means that the earpads rest on your ears, circumaural means that the earpads have enough space inside them that they're resting against your head with your ears inside them. In general it's better to get open headphones, unless you need any isolation at all. If there are cases where you'd disturb others or if you want to use them anywhere but in a very silent environment, then I'd recommend you get closed-back headphones.

the k701 and hd25 c ii are both regarded as good headphones in their priceclass. The k701 aren't as easy to drive as the hd25 c ii, though and need a good amp. I don't know if the amp on the Xonar Essence STX soundcard is good enough for the k701s. Personally I'm a fan of the Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 ohm version). They're not hard to drive, but require some power to get really loud. If you're going to use the headphones with rather weak sources from time to time and like to listen loud, then the hd25 c ii would be very well suited for you, as they are very efficient.

Hello Bacca,

Supraaural means that the earpads rest on your ears, circumaural means that the earpads have enough space inside them that they're resting against your head with your ears inside them. In general it's better to get open headphones, unless you need any isolation at all. If there are cases where you'd disturb others or if you want to use them anywhere but in a very silent environment, then I'd recommend you get closed-back headphones.

the k701 and hd25 c ii are both regarded as good headphones in their priceclass. The k701 aren't as easy to drive as the hd25 c ii, though and need a good amp. I don't know if the amp on the Xonar Essence STX soundcard is good enough for the k701s. Personally I'm a fan of the Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 ohm version). They're not hard to drive, but require some power to get really loud. If you're going to use the headphones with rather weak sources from time to time and like to listen loud, then the hd25 c ii would be very well suited for you, as they are very efficient.

Thank you for your quick answer. Ok then i understand better about the circumaural and superaural. I only gonna use the headphones at my computer for listening music and soundleaks in or out won't be any issue what-so-ever.

I don't really know to much about the sound card but i've heard it can "handle" cans up to 600ohm if thats what you mean with hard to drive? It also got headphone amp. And the price is about 170E so i think it can drive the k701?

I turns more towards the k701, cuz i like the design and they seems very comfortable.

A quick google search for ""essence stx" "k701"" turned up this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/544712/k701-stx-i-thinks-its-just-wrong

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666250/k701-essence-stx-no-bass

both threads were started by the same user, complaining about too little bass, but the responses he got should give you a good idea about the combo. Apprently that guy started more threads like this, not only on head-fi, so there should be quite some info on the essence stx+k701 combo available. :D

I've also read a lot about an issue with the bumps on the headband being uncomfortable. Of course you could mod them if this is the case for you.

I don't know if this fits in your options or preferences at all but as we're discussing headphones...

About two years ago I bought Sennheiser RS 180, which stands for wireless, uncompressed digital RF transfer. While a battery powered device obviously cannot do everything a traditional set could, they're still very good sound-wise. Meanwhile, the enormous upside is that they deliver perfect signal anywhere in a modest (or even large) house. Want to listen to something while cooking, cleaning, reading in your favourite chair or eating breakfast? Get a cup of tea while listening to a 2-hour set without interruptions? Never knock down stuff on your table or get the cable under your chair. I love it. They are also very comfortable and practical. No problems using them all night regarding power, weight or comfort. After two years of extensive use I can declare them well worth their price.

There are a few odd design choices but they've never bothered me too much as long as I get fine sound anywhere I want.

A quick google search for ""essence stx" "k701"" turned up this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/544712/k701-stx-i-thinks-its-just-wrong

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666250/k701-essence-stx-no-bass

both threads were started by the same user, complaining about too little bass, but the responses he got should give you a good idea about the combo. Apprently that guy started more threads like this, not only on head-fi, so there should be quite some info on the essence stx+k701 combo available. :D

I've also read a lot about an issue with the bumps on the headband being uncomfortable. Of course you could mod them if this is the case for you.

Hmmm...well maybe i should go with the hd 25 instead, gonna try to test the both pair in a shop first before i decide. Thanks for your help man.

I don't know if this fits in your options or preferences at all but as we're discussing headphones...

About two years ago I bought Sennheiser RS 180, which stands for wireless, uncompressed digital RF transfer. While a battery powered device obviously cannot do everything a traditional set could, they're still very good sound-wise. Meanwhile, the enormous upside is that they deliver perfect signal anywhere in a modest (or even large) house. Want to listen to something while cooking, cleaning, reading in your favourite chair or eating breakfast? Get a cup of tea while listening to a 2-hour set without interruptions? Never knock down stuff on your table or get the cable under your chair. I love it. They are also very comfortable and practical. No problems using them all night regarding power, weight or comfort. After two years of extensive use I can declare them well worth their price.

There are a few odd design choices but they've never bothered me too much as long as I get fine sound anywhere I want.

Interesting, never really thought on wireless. How do you charge the battery? And how long do they last? And can you listen while you charging them?

Interesting, never really thought on wireless. How do you charge the battery? And how long do they last? And can you listen while you charging them?

Just put them on the transmitter/dock like in product pictures. This obviously prevents other use, but 24h operating time is promised which should be more than enough. I just charge them overnight and I've never run out of power while listening. The batteries are standard AAA rechargeables so replacement is easy if they ever wear out. (Or even swapping if you need extra hours right now.)

It might be a good idea to try any kind of wireless for a while just to get an idea of the freedom they provide. Then test specific models for sound and decide whether there's a trade-off and what ultimately matters to you.

Just put them on the transmitter/dock like in product pictures. This obviously prevents other use, but 24h operating time is promised which should be more than enough. I just charge them overnight and I've never run out of power while listening. The batteries are standard AAA rechargeables so replacement is easy if they ever wear out. (Or even swapping if you need extra hours right now.)

It might be a good idea to try any kind of wireless for a while just to get an idea of the freedom they provide. Then test specific models for sound and decide whether there's a trade-off and what ultimately matters to you.

Sounds promising, though i never been a fan of wireless stuff and think non-wireless stuff is more solid, this could be a nice alternate if listening to an album in front of the cumputer and need to go to toilet or get something to drink. I dont need to pause the music and interrupt the mood. Though i think im gonna pick a non-wireless cans, this was a interesting alternate.

How do you compare the sound to a non-wireless cans in the same pricetag?

i have the akg701k and they're great. very clear sound and the huge soundstage is amazing. they're also useful for producing making a proper mixdown without decent monitors has become a whole lot easier since i have them. the headband for me isn't uncomfortable at all. after a few minutes i usually forget i have them on and i have many times been surprised to hit the cans with my hand when i tried to scratch my head. :)

the only downsides i can see are that the highs are a bit too loud for my taste and that the bass sounds "dry", which is good for analytical listening but when listening for pleasure it sounds a bit less powerful and instead more "precise".

still, for the money i didn't find anything better in my city and i did try lots of headphones.

if you decide to go for them then be sure to try a few headphone amps too, which one you choose makes a huge difference with the akg701k's.

i highly reccomend going to a shop with a good diversity of quality headphones and try them all out with a good selection of your music. and don't go too late in the day; i spent 3 hours there until i had decided which cans and amp i'd take :D

i have the akg701k and they're great. very clear sound and the huge soundstage is amazing. they're also useful for producing making a proper mixdown without decent monitors has become a whole lot easier since i have them. the headband for me isn't uncomfortable at all. after a few minutes i usually forget i have them on and i have many times been surprised to hit the cans with my hand when i tried to scratch my head. :)

the only downsides i can see are that the highs are a bit too loud for my taste and that the bass sounds "dry", which is good for analytical listening but when listening for pleasure it sounds a bit less powerful and instead more "precise".

still, for the money i didn't find anything better in my city and i did try lots of headphones.

if you decide to go for them then be sure to try a few headphone amps too, which one you choose makes a huge difference with the akg701k's.

i highly reccomend going to a shop with a good diversity of quality headphones and try them all out with a good selection of your music. and don't go too late in the day; i spent 3 hours there until i had decided which cans and amp i'd take :D

Hey, thanks for your input. The outcome however got a bit diffrent, i hit the big drum and go all in :P . Tomorrow im gonna pick up a used Benchmark DAC1, older version without USB but with a M2tech HiFace USB so i can run it with my computer. I've read it's a bomb DAC with a very good headphone amp. Gonna get it for 450Euros.

And im also gonna bid for a used AKG Q701 and hopefully get them somewhere between ~110-150Euros. I've read a bit of them too, they should be pretty the same as the K701 but with slighty better bass and some other small changes, ala Quincey Jones touch

Can't wait to hear the sound with this stuff ;) thou i've not even test listened to either the DAC nor the cans.

So what you think guys, used Benchmark DAC1 + used Q701 for <600Euros. Is it a good deal? Anyways I hope the sounds gonna be awesome!

I don't know much about the DAC1, except that many seem to like it. In case you aren't aware of it, there are different DAC1 models, so make sure you'll be fine with the one you get... http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1-series-overview

I don't know much about the DAC1, except that many seem to like it. In case you aren't aware of it, there are different DAC1 models, so make sure you'll be fine with the one you get... http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1-series-overview

Yes, I'm aware of that, it,s "the old one" not with USB but i get a M2Tech HiFace USB with it so i can run it with my PC.

Another question if you may know the answer I've been reading about ASIO, do i need to play it through it to get good quality from my mp3 files?

Just picked up the DAC, waiting for the headphones. I read a little bit more yesterday about ASIO. Don't know to much about it yet, but you supposed to use it with your mediaplayer (foobar, winamp) so the sound goes direct from example Foobar->DAC->Headphones, so the windows sound dosent interfere with the music. You can have the windows volume either on 100% or 0% dosent mather cuz the ASIO skips it when using foobar. Its gonna give you a better sound. Like I said dosent know too much about it yet.