Tell us which Album/Compilation/Ep was to blame for you to love Goatrance.

Wamphyri

Hi everyone!

Thanks for reading me. I am an user of Psynews since it's erlier versions in 1998 or so... but I have not written very much around here.

I would like to know which was the Album, Compilation or Ep that was to blame for you to "fall in love" with Goatrance.

Note I specify Goa, not Psy, as I want to refer to people who knows and started with "that" pseudoorganic Goa-sound twenty years ago.

Hope this would become an interesting thread for all of us and for starting, mine was the compilation "Cosmic Conspiracy":

R-150-99023-1267561287.jpeg

Discogs' datasheet.

Cheers!

David.

Nice thread.

For me the compilation that made me fall in love with goa trance was Trance Asia Express http://www.discogs.com/Various-Trance-Asia-Express-The-Best-Of-Goa-Trance-Vol-1/release/166424

It is not a specialcompilation but the track electric pulsation by Electric Universe and Drosophila by S.U.N. Project were very special to me and the music sounded so much different to anything I heart before. it was really the compilation that made me fall in love with Goa. The sound was ver absolutely what I was looking for and I felll in love with it and since then have Goa Trance as my favourite genre.

contrary to many others here, i didn't fall in love with goa trance at first sight (or sound rather). it was more of a gradual transition with me listening to lots of different tracks from time to time (and no complete albums), but if i really had to choose one track it'd be AP - Let There Be Light.

It started with me as a teenager listening to a Destination Goa, or GoaHead VA. Can't really remember which it actually was, but I do remember it had Zodiac Youth, maybe Elysium and Man With No Name on it. I didn't fancy it so much. Thought it sounded thin and not deep, boring and maybe even not that intelligent/interesting. :P he he. Anyway. Years later after discovering Infected Mushroom, I and some friends ingested some microdots and one of the few (original) CD's I had to listen to was http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=363343 - - -

I was amazed (no shit), and we listened to it over and over again. On that trip I figured out what I had blindly missed out on on those compilations years ago on a party, drunk. I am not saying I especially liked the Guitars on Mushroom compilation (I bought it because it was one of few psytrance CD's at the shop, and of course, because it had mushrooms on the cover!).

At least it opened my mind up to the "thin", "empty" and "boring" music of Goa trance.

The "Astral Projection - Another World" however, I really liked.

Although I had a nice small collection of DAT tapes my oldest sibling had brought back from Goa after being there from '88-'93 the compilation that for me then and to this day is PSYCHEDELIC trance is Tantrance 6. It truly is the no. 1 brain bending compilation & has such a cosmic feel to it.

• Like 1

There's no Album/Compil/EP to blame. I "always" had the feeling that there had to be something similar to commercial electronic 4/4 beat music, just much, much better, and I discovered Astral Projection (the group) when I did research about astral projection (the ability) on the internet when I was about 15 years old, and knew I had found what I had expected to exist somewhere out there. :)

Hi!

I must say those two tracks you mention are truly nice for a beginning! Nice start!

As you tell your story, I'll tell mine: I was a teenager back in late 9T's and I used to go to a certain fashion shop where you could buy from a pair of trendy boots or trainers to piercings, trendy clothes, albums and compilations in CD or even cassette, where they were usual to have flyers and one day I found one flyer with an advertisement of a records shop in which were a long list of music genres they were selling: Techno, House, Hardcore, Trance, Electro, Dub, Ambient, Goa, Acid, Experimental, Acid-Jazz, Hardtrance, Drum 'n Bass, bla, bla, bla... and I immediately thought: Uhm.... I know well all of them, but... wait... What's this? Goa? Uhm... I need to know what is this about, right there I asked the shop assistant for anything to carry home, and the rest is known yet.

Nice thread.

For me the compilation that made me fall in love with goa trance was Trance Asia Express http://www.discogs.com/Various-Trance-Asia-Express-The-Best-Of-Goa-Trance-Vol-1/release/166424

It is not a specialcompilation but the track electric pulsation by Electric Universe and Drosophila by S.U.N. Project were very special to me and the music sounded so much different to anything I heart before. it was really the compilation that made me fall in love with Goa. The sound was ver absolutely what I was looking for and I felll in love with it and since then have Goa Trance as my favourite genre.

Hi there!

I have been listening to Goa for more than fifteen years and I have to admit I stopped to follow new releases as Goa disappeared and somebody tried to call it Psytrance. I think they are just opposed in the way to do the same thing: get into trance. Goatrance made me kneel for It, but Psytrance is too sharp, it sounds too metallic, industrial, too much distorted. I liked much more Goatrance as is. Its sounds were much more clear, bassdrums need not to be heavy, those synths... OMG! That were sounds that when you heard them, you thought: "it is... it's like... if somebody would have been working on some chemicals in their laboratory... I never thought those sounds or melodies would even exist!" That's the feeling, that's what you mention as a "cosmic feel". Those sounds and melodies were there, but it was not until those alchemists searched for them, or they even would found that sounds by pure chance. The result is this special sound that differs to all I heard before.
It was not until year 2001 or so, it was when I realized that there was no more that exotic feeling it used to have guaranteed. The ambience was lost as Goatrance died. This was why I decided to go backwards in time, re-listening, discovering new tracks or sometimes, new brief artists with only a handful of tracks until 2009 I noticed oldschool Goa was back, as there were some people not yet totally convinced for the new Psytrance who worked on redefining this genre to its roots. Best notice for me. Hope it will finally lasts long...

Although I had a nice small collection of DAT tapes my oldest sibling had brought back from Goa after being there from '88-'93 the compilation that for me then and to this day is PSYCHEDELIC trance is Tantrance 6. It truly is the no. 1 brain bending compilation & has such a cosmic feel to it.

I never thought those sounds or melodies would even exist!

That was my initial reaction aswell :)

After AP followed Shakta - Silicon Trip, UX - Ultimate Experience, and Cosmosis - Cosmology (still the best goa trance album ever made in my opinion, perfection from start to finish).

I never thought those sounds or melodies would even exist!"

That is what everyone things about goa trance when he first heart it. The brain did not think such sounds can exist, to unfamiliar people goa trance is something completely new. The sounds are very diffrent and any sound is there to trigger atmosphere, emoiton, feelings, goa trance is a music all about feelings, about life, with the big atmosphere it colours your life to such an extent, other music can not, at least for me that is.

• Like 1