2. Antinea's Secret 8:53
  3. Shadows And Lights 10:20
  4. Orichalcum 8:17
  5. Gates Of Heaven 10:32
  6. Journey To Persia 9:52
  7. East West 9:27
  8. Pillars Of Hercules 9:39
  9. Calling The Ancients 9:08

It was with the coming of his first album “Tree of Life” that Akshan became one of the main reps of what we now call Progressive Psy-Chill and Chillgressive music. Even with GMO, Dense, Lemonchill, Alwoods and Solar Fields all categorized within this genre, Akshan filled a gap. From that floating feeling and morning melody vibe to the more introspective and expansive sensation of spirituality, everything that constitutes the Psy-Chill universe is present in his flow. In the same time, he gives us rolling beats mixed with aggressive bass lines and fast kicks evolving into a more structured climax, the kind that makes up the more progressive side of trance music. I was expecting a lot to come out of a second album because for me nothing better had been made under this genre. But I was wrong... “The Rise of Atlantis” showed up!

Akshan has surely pushed the limits with his second album. He has showed us what we can do within the chill universe when we tune in and travel on the progressive level. Similar to the first album, Akshan presents beautifully unexpected shining tracks, those which leave us with a persistent sense of sunshine on the skin. Both albums use sacred chants, tribal drums and flute. These mixed elements create an organic, intuitive and spiritual feeling. Tribal ambiance dominates “Tree of Life”, which is then balanced out by overwhelming sensations of love, emotion, sacred intention and spiritual transcendence offered up by “The Rise of Atlantis”. Again, this is a truly awesome gathering of tunes created by Akshan. My favorite psychill album ever!

Favorite Tracks

The Rise Of Atlantis

3:24 of soundscapes that gently develop intense feelings of love, gratitude and beauty. The graceful flute notes lead the tune in as it slowly builds in intensity balanced by soft morning sounds and finally reaching a crescendo of profound female chants. This awesome album introduction is like the first brick laid at the ground level of a foundation. This introduction announces what will be offered by a whole album whose sacred and spiritual mood will guide the listener to experience the transcendental.

Gates Of Heaven

This is the most awesome track I have ever heard. This tune resume what we can call spiritual trance. It gives us that pure transcendental feeling. In this track we are held by a simple melody that is surrounded by many layers of bright sounds, tribal drums and sacred chants that paint a truly psychedelic texture. Everything is presented cohesively in this well made track rolling throughout well made ping – pong delay and gater effect.

Journey To Persia

Similar to “Gates of Heaven”, this track has a multiplicity of diverse arrangements which evolve from a simple melody into a complex universe of sounds. If,“Gates of Heaven” is more a YIN track than it can be said that “Journey to Persia” is certainly more YANG. The middle of the tune gives one the feeling of preparation to fight. Then comes the DROP! Here, the gentle and emotional violin melody meshes with waves of sound that pull the listener into a sphere of higher consciousness.

East West

If I said that the previous tracks are spiritual, sacred and intentional, than “East West” brings us mystic vibrations! The beginning to middle of this track is simplistic. There is nothing exceptional here to compare to the other tracks on the album. However, the latter part of the tune slowly progresses, albeit subtly, and brings you into an unexpectedly joyful mood. The highlight point is at 6:42 when the tone changes. Quickly, more and more layers of sound appear and then blast you with a little 10 second intone, afterwards ending as if nothing had happened. Nice feeling of... what the...?

Pillars Of Hercule

An awesome crystaline introduction rocked by a simple chant. A soft rolling bass kick develops the beginning of this track to allow the evolution of this tribal morning melody. The ending is supported by female and male incantations . This original track is one in which you will travel a lot!

You can buy and listen to samples at :

Altar Records: http://www.altar-records.com/atlantis.html

Bandcamp: http://altar.bandcamp.com/album/the-rise-of-atlantis-24bits

YouTube Links :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-mbQ921gk

I loved the first album, Tree of Life. It's EXCELLENT. If you haven't heard it, I recommend getting a copy if you're into Psychill, Psyambient, atmospheric Psy, down/mid-tempo, etc. The debut somehow managed to sound beautiful while kicking ass (having energy than normal in a good way, plus there's magical moments!!!!).

It's cool that Altar Records lets streaming of entire tracks. I heard the full thing on their site.

So I want this. Added to my wish list. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

BEAUTIFUL RELEASE. Just immerse yourself in the whole experience. It's a real journey filled with love, light, a touch of darkness, and even more magic! Vibrationally raising parts!

Thank you for such a strong, emotionally engaging (as it progresses) follow up! You can tell the artist really put his heart, soul, and imagination into it.

Stream the FULL ALBUM on YouTube here.

https://youtu.be/6t75s05FpJw

• 1 year later...