Modular Synthesizers

Panoptes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were very expensive to keep in mint conditon so I am glad they are gone, Modern synths mean easier repair and maintenance at a lower cost. Also the Moog Sub Phatty is really just so much fun compared to old gear. The bass is so amazing. have paid for a microbrute and also ordered some Adam A5x monitors.

I think I might consider also a small mixer for all my gear. maybe a 10 channel Allen & Heath one, although a Mackie anolog intrigues me for sound qualiuty as I am buying mostly anolog gear.

Do you guys actively make music or whatever? Is it more for yourselves/others or have you guys tried to sell some stuff? Just wondering since some of you have some good looking gears.

Never sold but gave plenty away. I used to do live shows with a friend. The 2 x 303s, TR-909 & a Mini Moog a Mini Moog Voyage run through a mixer love on the spot. Also used. Bunch of cheap n nasty guitar pedals on them. It was fun & we never asked to be paid. I got my kicks from watching kids 10 years younger than me rocking to my noise. It ran between 120-180BPM for 3-4 hours usually. I wish we had recorded some lol.

The first hour & a half was usually just me making beats in EBM style and my mate making weird noises/white noise/static on the Moog. Then we'd introduce the 2 x 303's full power going mental. My mate on one and me on the other. Sometimes we'd use a guitar with distortion and a sampler. The sample contained spoken word from war documentaries. There was a heavy political message as we were/are quite left wing/hippy in some ways.

The chorus lyrics from Napalm Death - "When All Is Said And Done" were featured heavily towards the end of our career. I love the message in that song.

So I finally got my synthesizer. Man is it fun. I spent an hour just playing around with the presets (just to see how it sounds) and then found an acid like sound. Oh boy did I have fun, playing melodies and screwing around.

I got the Novation Bass Station II. I know that it ain't a modular synth, but it does a good job for what it is. I spent probably 30 minutes earlier just on building atmosphere and background/ambient type noises.

nice choice, my nephew got one & I've had a lot of fun using it with my Sub Phatty. It definitely has a more trance vibe to it IMHO than Moog but together I could see the two style mingly to make some great deep progressive acid psychedelic madness. I'm torn between getting this or the MicroBrute + Elektron Machine Drum.

(I'm assuming you are referring to the Bass Station when you said "this"). But ya, that is a hard choice. I read that there may be another brute, which may basically be a combination of the mini and the microbrute. I know that the microbrute is a bit limited (one osc) but I've seen some vids which show that there are some work arounds that, so it's not all that bad. I've heard that the Machine Drum is really nice, probably something I'll look into after some time soon.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back in this thread again. Been playing around with the Bass Station still, having lots of fun with it. Finally got a audio interface, and man effects do a huge difference on the sound of the synth. Adding a simple reverb completely changes the atmosphere of the sounds, it is so awesome.

• 1 year later...